mikecroaro
  •  mikecroaro
  • 55.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:50:11 PM
Hi Folks:

Just got back from the Nevada County Fair in Grass Valley, CA. This is approximately 3.5 hours north/east from San Francisco. I believe MCW member Murrycook indorsed this fair. Murry..Thank you very much.

Hands down the best county Fair I have ever attended. This fair easily outranks many larger fairs I've been to such as Alameda County, Sonoma County & The CA State Fair in Sacramento.

The fairgrounds itself is absolutly stunning. It is very park like (think Yosemite or Yellostone) with hundred of trees everywhere. Everything is very well kept. The fair runs 5 days and attendance averages 100,000 per the fair office. Wednesday evening was packed and there was this increadible vibrancy about the place. You can tell just by looking at peoples faces that they're having a great time. There are 4-5 stages of music (and good music too). There is also the usual livestock, tractors, etc. Just when you think you've seen everything you stumble accross something new.

Butler Amusemnets provides the midway here and this is what they brought:

Giant Wheel
Bumper Cars
Viper
Claw Ride ("Firball" I believe)
Zipper
Tilt
Scrambler
Gravatron
Fire Ball (Supor Loop)
Mardi Grau Funhouse
Dark Ride
Eli Ferris Wheel
Cliff Hanger Style ride
Himalaya
MGR
4-5 larger Kiddie Rides
4-5 smaller Kiddie rides

Rides are interspersed in between and under the trees.

Ticktet pricers were:

$1.00 each
25/$23.00 (lowered from 25/$25.00)
80/$70.00
Wristbands $28.00

I do have pictures. I will get them developed and hopefully make them available by next week.

Mike

Patrick McGuire
Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:34:52 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the report. I am heading up there tonight. I saw it on the news and it looked impressive, just like you said.
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net
mikecroaro
  •  mikecroaro
  • 55.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:23:49 AM
Hi Patrick:

Hope you had a good time at the fair. Let us all know your thoughts and experiences.

Mike
DickHefner
Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:11:56 PM
claw ride, is that a Spin Out? I know that sometimes a mark will call any ride with that type of gondola a "claw"(pendulums, PowerSurge,TopStarTour,Shocker, whats the three sweeped PowerSurge look-a-like?) but I know Ive seen somewhere, a pic of a Tivoli Spin Out that the backdrop actually said "the claw"
In memory of Kenny Maple Jr 1973-2010
Patrick McGuire
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:04:31 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by DickHefner

claw ride, is that a Spin Out? I know that sometimes a mark will call any ride with that type of gondola a "claw"(pendulums, PowerSurge,TopStarTour,Shocker, whats the three sweeped PowerSurge look-a-like?) but I know Ive seen somewhere, a pic of a Tivoli Spin Out that the backdrop actually said "the claw"

This was the pendulum style ride with the Spin Out gondola. I think they called it The Extreme. The carnival layout was great. It was like being up in the mountains with all the trees interspersed between the rides and you could smell the fresh pine sent in the air. Great place for a fair. I got there at night and took some videos, but no stills, sorry.
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net