John240
  •  John240
  • 54.9% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, August 8, 2010 1:42:46 PM
I saw this dark ride on the Link Shows midway at the Illinois State Fair back in 1984.

I think it was called the Tomb Of Terror.

I only took this one crummy Instamatic shot of it:

http://www.flickr.com/ph...set-72157624682709264/#/ 

Does anybody know if this ride still exists,and if it does, where it is?

I'm trying to track it down to get better photos of it.

Thanks!
Flying Coaster
Sunday, August 8, 2010 1:48:56 PM
I'm thinking that piece was booked in, I was on the same lot with it 3 or 4 times but don't remember who owned it. It looked good, I think they had tombstones on the ground in front of it too. Was it maybe a Zacchini built piece?
All Skywheels should be yeller.
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:23:53 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

I'm thinking that piece was booked in, I was on the same lot with it 3 or 4 times but don't remember who owned it. It looked good, I think they had tombstones on the ground in front of it too. Was it maybe a Zacchini built piece?

Thats an old Pretzel dark ride, not to many of those left so more than likely its gone by now.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
John240
  •  John240
  • 54.9% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:31:02 PM
I was never sure who built it, but I think it had the same kind of layout as the current "Lost Mine" or "Mouse Trap" type rides, with the coaster-like "dip" in the front part of the ride.
massachusettsman
Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:37:36 PM
I think the only ones still out are reithoffers, john doolans, and deggellars which is for sale. Are there any more out or parked in wq.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, August 9, 2010 1:56:11 AM
I know that ride.

It was owned by Lloyd "Mokey" Choat, Star Amusements, Judsonia Ark.

He bought it about 82 from Milt Kaughman sp?

The ride was used up till.... mid 90's then it went off the road.

I have two stories, one guy told me it was stolen off the Springfield Mo Fairgrounds. It was parked there for a couple of weeks after the fair. They went back to pick it up and it was gone. Rumor's said it was sold to a off shore show.

The other thing I was told was the help tore up the top really bad taking it down, and it was pulled back to WQ and parked.

I ask Mokey about it about 5 years ago and he said it was home,

I ask Lil Mokey about it earlier this year and he said " No its long gone"

Mokey's sister Melba Cambell was an independant operator mainly with RAS, but did book some with Link. I'm sure that's how he booked it there.

Oh yeah I forgot to say it's a Pretzel ride
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, August 9, 2010 7:44:27 AM
Someone needs to write a book about Mokey and family. A wealth of stories there. Didn't know there was a Lil Mokey! Must be like Louisville Jr and Louisville Jr Jr!
skydiver77
Monday, August 9, 2010 8:05:29 PM
That ride looks very similar or exact to the Lost Mine dark ride. Those rides are called (correct me if i'm wrong) a Roller Ghoster, as they are part dark ride, part roller coaster.
Rideguy
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:50:13 PM
Steve Swika (S&S) has a Pretzel (Casidy) Gravity Dark Ride Mark cockerham has the Deggler ride. Conneaut Lake Park has the permanent version of this ride.
2ndgencarnie
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:33:36 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Sue

Someone needs to write a book about Mokey and family. A wealth of stories there. Didn't know there was a Lil Mokey! Must be like Louisville Jr and Louisville Jr Jr!

I would love to read that book....(as long as it was offered on tape[8D][;)])
Benjibear
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:34:13 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Sue

I would love to read that book....(as long as it was offered on tape[8D][;)])

I will wait for the movie.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:41:27 AM
I'm sure every showman has a "book" to tell... but I would guess if anything did try to write one on this family, I don't think they would talk LOL

I have a large article that was written on Mokey in the paper here when he bought out the old Amusement park here. Even interviers his father.

I'll try and locate that and post it
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, September 18, 2010 6:08:36 AM
That gravity dark ride was built by Joe Davis' Pretzel Ride Co., after he bought the company from Bill Cassidy. I believe this was the only portable gravity ride his company built. This ride had a different car body than the original Pretzel design.

I recall Joe Davis telling me that at some point it was booked with Gene Ledel Shows.

Here is a link to a photo of the ride when it was on Hunt's Pier in Wildwood, NJ...

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/wwbysea/HUNT/tomb.htm 

I believe Mike Dembroski (PA) still owns a Pretzel gravity ride, which he converted to hydraulic set-up. He had it for sale on Used Rides.com a while back.

Although they're long gone now, there were also permenant Pretzel Gravity rides at Myrtle Beach, Central Pier in Atlantic City, NJ, and Western Playland in El Paso, TX.

"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:53:07 AM
The dark ride at Camden Park in WV is a Pretzel ride, correct?
They were renovating/painting etc this summer when I visited. Wish I had taken a ride on it but I didn't, was more interested in the old wooden coaster at the time.
pic: (my notes say it is a Tracy ride, could it be a Pretzel also?)I am not a dark ride expert by any stretch.

http://www.flickr.com/ph...n/set-72157624415840541/ 
skydiver77
Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:17:10 PM
I remember a dark ride on Strates Shows' midway at the '91 NC State Fair. I've got the ride on tape, just a little glimpse of it. It was called Thriller, but different than the walk-thru Thriller that was a hit back then too. This one had red cars & was a ride-thru. It had Freddy Krueger rocking in a rocking chair holding a head in his right hand with the famous blade gloves. The inside of it made a siren noise, but slightly different than Strates' Ghost Train. It had a different pitch to it, more like a buzz sound mid-way through the ride. I never did ride it, but heard the different sounds in it and you could hear girls scream in it from time to time.

This is one i'd like to see again. Haven't seen it since '91 that day. It was set up behind Strates' Rainbow and across from their Dutch Wheel that year. That's now the kiddie land area of the Fair's midway. Ah, the memories, i do still miss Strates Shows, but the other shows are cool too. [8D] I miss seeing their Ghost Train & Demon World. [V] They still have Demon World don't they? I remember it had only a few tricks in it, and sometimes the 3 wheeled cars would turn over on that curve track just before getting-off time came. The exit ramp had that air hose that would blow up at you. Pretty cool dark ride, would love to ride it again someday.