swooper
  •  swooper
  • 58.38% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, July 12, 2010 2:37:48 PM
does anyone know of this?

if you do please let me know.

i am able to get a copy from NBC but its a little pricy.

its 22minutes long and aired 4/12/64

Benjibear
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:16:19 AM
How much is pricey?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
johnroach100
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:04:52 PM
Ok, here's what I found out. I went to http://www.nbcnewsarchives.com 
and searched for Carny, The american carnival. I found what's below but I can't get the link to work in the preview window.

http://www.nbcnewsarchives.com/...signal=guestAssetDetails 

Below is the synopsis from what it says. I registered but I still can't get it to give me a price.

Places: Tampa;Calgary;St Charles;Winona;Florida;Canada;Minnesota
Reporters: Sally Rand, Edwin Newman
Dates: 1964/04/12
Recorded Date:
Media Type: Film

NBC NEWS SPECIAL: CARNY - THE AMERICAN CARNIVAL NEWMAN INTROS RENOWNED FAN-DANCER SALLY RAND WHO PROVIDES V.O. NARRATION FOR THIS STUDY OF THE AMERICAN CARNIVAL. CARNY RANGES FROM FLORIDA WINTER HOME AS FAR NORTH AS CALGARY. ROYAL AMERICAN SHOWS ARE SEEN AT CALGARY STAMPEDE; AL BROWN SHOW AT ST. CHARLES (MINN.) AND AT WINONA (MINN.) COUNTY FAIR. CARNY GAME IS SEEN ON THE LOT; ON THE ROAD AND OFF-SEASON AT HOME. WEALTHIER CARNY OWNERS ARE SEEN LUXURIATING IN LAVISH FLORIDA WINTER QUARTERS E.G. ROYAL AMERICAN SHOWS OWNER SATTLEMEYER SR. KNOW AS KING OF THE CARNIVAL; CROWN PRINCE SATTLEMEYER JR. AND BLUE GRASS SHOWS OWNER SPECKS GROSSKURTH. CARNY LOOKS AT ALL ASPECTS OF CARNIVAL LIFE: THE MIDWAY; EXHIBITIONS (GIRLIE SHOWS; SWORD SWALLOWERS; KNIFE THROWERS ETC.); THE CONCESSIONS (FROM CANDIED APPLIES TO GAMES OF CHANCE); AND THE AMUSEMENT RIDES (FERRIS WHEEL TO SPACE WHEEL AND ROUNDUP RIDE). ALL CUSTOMERS ARE CONSIDERED MARKS. RAND EXPLAINS THIS AND OTHER CARNY TERMS LIKE TALKER; TIP AND BALLY. AVAILABLE ON FILM: PRT0012; PRT0551; PRT0847; PRT0849 EKTA A&B PIX ROLLS AVAILABLE IN LOC 2-23. ADDITIONAL PRINTS: PRT0850 & PRT0852 (AIRED 10:00-11:00 PM). NOT SCREENED. INFO FROM PROGRAM ANALYSIS CARD. Producers: NBC
swooper
  •  swooper
  • 58.38% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:20:07 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by johnroach100

Ok, here's what I found out. I went to http://www.nbcnewsarchives.com 

it took months for them to get back to me
the strange thin is my e mail says its 22 minutes long.
perhaps the 10-11 show had other topics

and searched for Carny, The american carnival. I found what's below but I can't get the link to work in the preview window.

http://www.nbcnewsarchives.com/...signal=guestAssetDetails 

Below is the synopsis from what it says. I registered but I still can't get it to give me a price.

Places: Tampa;Calgary;St Charles;Winona;Florida;Canada;Minnesota
Reporters: Sally Rand, Edwin Newman
Dates: 1964/04/12
Recorded Date:
Media Type: Film

NBC NEWS SPECIAL: CARNY - THE AMERICAN CARNIVAL NEWMAN INTROS RENOWNED FAN-DANCER SALLY RAND WHO PROVIDES V.O. NARRATION FOR THIS STUDY OF THE AMERICAN CARNIVAL. CARNY RANGES FROM FLORIDA WINTER HOME AS FAR NORTH AS CALGARY. ROYAL AMERICAN SHOWS ARE SEEN AT CALGARY STAMPEDE; AL BROWN SHOW AT ST. CHARLES (MINN.) AND AT WINONA (MINN.) COUNTY FAIR. CARNY GAME IS SEEN ON THE LOT; ON THE ROAD AND OFF-SEASON AT HOME. WEALTHIER CARNY OWNERS ARE SEEN LUXURIATING IN LAVISH FLORIDA WINTER QUARTERS E.G. ROYAL AMERICAN SHOWS OWNER SATTLEMEYER SR. KNOW AS KING OF THE CARNIVAL; CROWN PRINCE SATTLEMEYER JR. AND BLUE GRASS SHOWS OWNER SPECKS GROSSKURTH. CARNY LOOKS AT ALL ASPECTS OF CARNIVAL LIFE: THE MIDWAY; EXHIBITIONS (GIRLIE SHOWS; SWORD SWALLOWERS; KNIFE THROWERS ETC.); THE CONCESSIONS (FROM CANDIED APPLIES TO GAMES OF CHANCE); AND THE AMUSEMENT RIDES (FERRIS WHEEL TO SPACE WHEEL AND ROUNDUP RIDE). ALL CUSTOMERS ARE CONSIDERED MARKS. RAND EXPLAINS THIS AND OTHER CARNY TERMS LIKE TALKER; TIP AND BALLY. AVAILABLE ON FILM: PRT0012; PRT0551; PRT0847; PRT0849 EKTA A&B PIX ROLLS AVAILABLE IN LOC 2-23. ADDITIONAL PRINTS: PRT0850 & PRT0852 (AIRED 10:00-11:00 PM). NOT SCREENED. INFO FROM PROGRAM ANALYSIS CARD. Producers: NBC

skywheel88
Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:35:49 AM
I own a copy, sent to me by a good friend, it's 53 minutes long, not 22. A real treasure [:D], lots of older RAS footage and an extensive inside look at the big sideshows, games and grabs of the time.
Kenny.

swooper
  •  swooper
  • 58.38% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:12:17 PM
ok,
i now have a so so copy,

however NBC now says only 22 minutes has been transferred from film.

the fee for the library to transfer is $400 and CD,s after that are $25 each to me.

so i am wondering if i post this on the main discussion would there be enough takers for say $30-$40 to offset the cost. i am not looking to make money but $400 is a little much for just me.

the other thing is what is on the 22 minutes already transferred and who had it done?
and then where did the copies that seem to be around come from.

gmonty3
Saturday, March 5, 2011 3:07:04 AM
I was only 14 in 1964, but I can remember this show being advertised, but for some reason I missed it. Of course there was no such thing as a VCR back then, so I certainly did not record it. I would love to have a copy myself. Reminds me of the time I checked into a motel in the early 70's some where in South Carolina, turned on the TV and there was the old noir movie, Nightmare Alley. This movie is based on a novel by William Lindsay Gresham and starsd one of Liz Taylor's first husbands, Tyron Power. I wanted a copy for yeats and then finally a few years ago it came out on DVD. I even bid on a copy on Ebay, but they stopped the auction because it was a dubbed copy. Maybe we will get lucky and someone will put all 93-minutes of this 1964 documentary on DVD.

Monty

Skywheelfan1960
Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:24:55 PM
Someone gave me a copy of this video a few years ago. It has lots of great footage but mine is only 30 minutes long. Its great to have though.
FriedPhil
Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:38:58 PM
It would be interesting to see. Too bad we don't have freaks and girlie shows anymore. It sure added to the fair-going experience.
Please do not exit the ride until it comes to a complete stop.
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, September 12, 2011 12:45:44 AM
Originally Posted by: FriedPhil 

It would be interesting to see. Too bad we don't have freaks and girlie shows anymore. It sure added to the fair-going experience.

we don't have most things on shows now that we used to have back then

with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:11:43 PM
Originally Posted by: john777 

Ain't that the truth.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
swooper
  •  swooper
  • 58.38% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:20:41 AM
Originally Posted by: john777 

i miss the sawdust on the ground because the lots were mostly just fields not blacktop, when i was a kid.

my first fun house walk through was around 1955 in Clark NJ. i suspect it may have been A of A.
but anyway it was totally dark, old tires and rollers on the floor you could not see a thing. I really thought we may never get out of there.
But it was great!

and how could i forget in the very back corner of the lot was the Tent where Tina performed but i was too young to get in.