skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:46:51 PM
I should do a poll on this. Anyone trust those bungee type rides? I for one, do NOT trust them! I feel as if the bungee strings can snap at any time, with lots of stress put on them. Take the Sling Shot ride down at Myrtle Beach for instance. I saw it get quite a few riders last week, when i was watching it. IF those bungee strings / wires ever snapped?, oh man!, that'd be bad news! [:0] I trust any carnival ride, Ferris Wheel, or other ride OVER a bungee-type ride anyday! The Sling Shot looks cool, but, you've gotta wonder what kinda stress those wires are put through with every "pull" on them once the spring machine loads up to catapult the riders up in the sky.

Reason i trust a Wheel, it's an ALL metal structure, nothing Bungee about it, along with a Flying Bobs, Sky Wheel, etc..ALL metal rides, Sky Diver, etc... But when it comes to rides like that Sling Shot at Myrtle Beach, No Freakin' Way....not because i'm scared of it, as i would ride it if it were an all-metal ride like the few i listed above. Those bungee wires, if they take too much stress, God only knows what would happen. For those that know of the Swing ride behind it, i rode that once last week and it was awesome! Wanted to ride the new Sky Scraper, but waited too late & came back home.

Anyway, just wanted to see how many trust those Bungee rides such as the Sling Shot ride at Myrtle Beach, or the few bungee towers at Pigeon-Forge, TN? I also do NOT trust Sky Coasters! Same principal, those wires holding you up take stress. Therefore, the only rides i trust are carnival-related & roller coasters. The bungee rides are a BIG BIG Risk if you ask me! Later
Carnie_Joe930
Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:20:19 PM
Benjibear
Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:22:23 AM
That is the thrill of the bungee rides.

But you wouldn't catch me on one.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:06:05 AM
Ben,

How often are those rides inspected, tested and critical parts replaced? Where is your list of accidents showing they are unsafe? Do you think an insurance company would insure them if they were unsafe? Do you think a big show or park would operate them if they weren't safe knowing one accident would put them out of business? Do you have an engineering degree on which to base your opinion? Will you ride in a Toyota after all they recalled millions with a safety problem. Will you fly knowing airplanes crash? Did you ask anyone about the questions I just asked you? Was there an inspection sticker posted?
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
boltz
Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:16:29 AM
Bravo!!! Someone with a brain

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by flamo

Ben,

How often are those rides inspected, tested and critical parts replaced? Where is your list of accidents showing they are unsafe? Do you think an insurance company would insure them if they were unsafe? Do you think a big show or park would operate them if they weren't safe knowing one accident would put them out of business? Do you have an engineering degree on which to base your opinion? Will you ride in a Toyota after all they recalled millions with a safety problem. Will you fly knowing airplanes crash? Did you ask anyone about the questions I just asked you? Was there an inspection sticker posted?

Stop complaining...Nobody cares anyway!!
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:32:15 AM
yes......
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:48:32 AM
Not so much a question if the ride is unsafe but if the people are able to ride them. The operator can't tell if the have a neck injure or a heart problem.
skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, July 10, 2010 10:04:50 PM
Yeah, i see your point of where you're coming from. I just wonder about things sometimes. The last day i was at the beach, i almost did ride the Sling Shot to see what it was like to actually ride it one good time. It's kind of like i saw on Strates' Top Spin's scenery on the backdrop of the surfer dude back there. It said, " No Risk, No Fun " and that's So right in this world. Even riding the waves in the ocean. If you're gonna worry about a shark, you shouldn't even go in the water. lol Makes simple sense.

3drides
Monday, July 12, 2010 2:50:39 PM
the rides are fine as long as the owners do the updates when needed