WANNABECARNIE
Friday, June 25, 2010 12:18:10 PM
Do you guys and gals think that an Italian Eatery would be successful on a midway? My wife is in the final stages of chef school and has told me that she would like to start one.
paulmbe
  •  paulmbe
  • 55.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, June 25, 2010 1:40:05 PM
Gazellas comes to mind immediatly and I know I have seen a couple of trailers theamed that at Gibtown Spaghetti Eddie has been at it for years and I know there are a lot of little guys with one or two speciality items from Zeppoles to Calzone, Lasagna and all polnts in between
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:48:12 AM
have been several versions on the road, the only thing is that the general public go to eat fair foods, italian they can get at there favorite local restraunt.... good luck with it.....
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
Benjibear
Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:58:10 AM
I think it would be good if it was a pizza joint with a few other specialties. Some things I could think of would be meatball subs, stromboli, and calzones. Then maybe just a few specialty dinners every night. I think if you frame it like a Sbarro that you see in the malls in may work. I am sure if you sat in a mall and watch them, most of the money comes from pizza.

Also, if your serving dinner type stuff you need a place for them to eat which is going to raise how much real estate you need and there for the nut.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
cny_chris
Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:29:21 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

I think it would be good if it was a pizza joint with a few other specialties. Some things I could think of would be meatball subs, stromboli, and calzones. Then maybe just a few specialty dinners every night. I think if you frame it like a Sbarro that you see in the malls in may work. I am sure if you sat in a mall and watch them, most of the money comes from pizza.

Also, if your serving dinner type stuff you need a place for them to eat which is going to raise how much real estate you need and there for the nut.

Sounds similar to what DeLuca's and Mazzarella's do, food-wise. DeLuca's usually has a small seating area worked into their location.

The Italian Eatery concept is out there, the trick is to have good food, at a price that people are willing to pay, and being able to put together a good enough route to make ends meet (and stash some away too).
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:40:45 AM
I think it would have to be in a high traffic area like near a grandstand or especially near a campground entrance. Sounds good but after eating my traditional fair foods I would not have room for it.
RodB
Discjo
Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:49:47 PM
Calling Pizzagod -- Calling Pizzagod -- Can you assist us opening door # 3. -- Lol [;)]
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:11:57 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Sounds similar to what DeLuca's and Mazzarella's do, food-wise. DeLuca's usually has a small seating area worked into their location.

The Italian Eatery concept is out there, the trick is to have good food, at a price that people are willing to pay, and being able to put together a good enough route to make ends meet (and stash some away too).

mazzarella, also put in $1. hot dogs to help survive some spots.....
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
Pizzagod
Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:12:42 PM
I don't think this would fly.

Not because of your wife's expertise or business know-how. Because of the public and what they want.

I'm knocking them dead this week with Elephant Ears and all I can think to myself is "You are paying me $5 for a piece of deep fried paste". The public is loving it in spite of the fact that it's nothing unique or particularly tasty.

That's just the first blush. Then let's look at equipment, and I'm guessing you'd be at least $75K for a used trailer and a decent pickup. There's no way an Italian Eatery could be a one man show, so let's look at at least one, maybe two employees, and that means wages and accommodations, all expenses while you're trying to make a new idea fly.

I'm thinking the better route would be a Pizza trailer, with all the other goodies as side items. The Waymatic I bought from Kenny Ryals was along these lines, Pizza was the main item but it featured Calzone and Spaghetti prominently. The public hardly ever went for the calzone, and the spaghetti was a big favorite-WITH THE CARNIES-who could make two meals out of it easily.

Like rodler said-it would be an afterthought after the traditional stuff.

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
johnroach100
Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:21:15 PM
This is going to sound mean, and believe me, I don't want it to.

Pizzagod is right, people don't want good food when they hit the lot. They want something they can eat with one hand and tell their friends about tomorrow.

I play small spots and I see a lot of people who have a pop up tent, a gas grill, and a recipe for a meal that all their friends love. I get many good meals but only a few people want meals, mostly they want a few bites then they want to try something else.

Keep that in mind, easy to eat, tastes good, and not too expensive and you stand a chance on a midway.
Soda Guy
Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:13:46 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by johnroach100

This is going to sound mean, and believe me, I don't want it to.

Pizzagod is right, people don't want good food when they hit the lot. They want something they can eat with one hand and tell their friends about tomorrow.

I play small spots and I see a lot of people who have a pop up tent, a gas grill, and a recipe for a meal that all their friends love. I get many good meals but only a few people want meals, mostly they want a few bites then they want to try something else.

Keep that in mind, easy to eat, tastes good, and not too expensive and you stand a chance on a midway.

With a few exceptions stick with the old If it is on a stick and can be fried it will sell theory. A tried and true formula.