JustinJames
Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:07:53 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Quote:

Originally posted by Bmp79

Funny comments people very funny. I'm Northwest of Chicago and looking to work with the rides doing set up tear down and operating them.I can read talk and write, I have a HS diploma and I'm a hard worker and want to learn the business.But bread and butter or whatever don't help me out much,just trying to grasp what I can make as a carnie. I hope I didn't offend anyone by asking.

Average entry level in this business is between $200 and $300 a week depending of course on the show and if you have things like electrical skills, mechanical knowledge and/or a cdl or license.
Bmp79
  •  Bmp79
  • 50.14% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:53:15 AM
Ok another question can or will a show help you get your CDL license if you really want to get it??? By the way JustinJames do you work for modernmidways cause I applied there..
JustinJames
Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:28:15 PM
Quote:

quote:

Ok another question can or will a show help you get your CDL license if you really want to get it??? By the way JustinJames do you work for modernmidways cause I applied there..

Depends... all shows and owners are different. Some will help you get a cdl.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:15:30 PM
How many shows you been to see about work? If it's more then 1 and don't have a job yet there must be a reason....Kinda like if you're sitting at a poker table and can't spot the sucker...it's you.

42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:31:50 PM
Quote:

quote:

Funny comments people very funny. I'm Northwest of Chicago and looking to work with the rides doing set up tear down and operating them.I can read talk and write, I have a HS diploma and I'm a hard worker and want to learn the business.But bread and butter or whatever don't help me out much,just trying to grasp what I can make as a carnie. I hope I didn't offend anyone by asking.

Let me clarify rube. Expect to make enough to get by on and maybe a little left over to stash back. If your any good at it, you might get a bump and believe me when I tell you it won't take long to figure that out.[;)]
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:37:14 PM
You need to reply to this questionnaire: Yes or no

1.When you get into a truck, you must always warm it up quickly with some high reving.

2.You keep the oil dipstick on the low mark so it warms up faster.

3.It is best to tailgate so you don't loose your way.

Electrical exam:

Household current:
name each of the 4 wires as to what it provides:

Midway Power: same thing, name each.

I gave the midway power test to an ex Strates employee trying out for the elec. position.
He failed. They were wise to let him go, as well as the so called mechanic whose only experience with mechanics was riding b**** on a Harley.
UserPostedImage
adrianduarte
Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:52:34 PM
Do I win a prize?

Quote:

quote:

1.When you get into a truck, you must always warm it up quickly with some high reving. Unless you're currently in Georgia, the high 80 degree weather keeps the truck warmed up.

2.You keep the oil dipstick on the low mark so it warms up faster. Dipsticks are for sissies, stuff your finger up in there anytime you need to check if you're oil.

3.It is best to tailgate so you don't loose your way. It's best to get where you're going when you get there or as a bud used to say "Eventually's better than never."

Electrical exam:

Household current:
Western Union, Money Gram, Direct Deposit & Nigerian Scam

Midway Power: same thing, name each.
Chicken dust, crank, hair grease and coke.

I gave the midway power test to an ex Strates employee trying out for the elec. position.
He failed. They were wise to let him go, as well as the so called mechanic whose only experience with mechanics was riding b**** on a Harley.

OK so I was playin...I do know the answers but it's not my test to do. 😉
America's Got Talent 2011 Contestant #6******.
texasshowman
Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:21:00 PM
we have guys making 300 to 700 a week.you get what you pay for.we went to the sally once looking for help the guy ask what we pay i told him we will pay him what he his worth,he said he dont work that cheap.good help is hard to find.
Bmp79
  •  Bmp79
  • 50.14% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:01:41 PM
Quote:

quote:

1.When you get into a truck, you must always warm it up quickly with some high reving. I would say NO

2.You keep the oil dipstick on the low mark so it warms up faster.No

3.It is best to tailgate so you don't loose your way. No

Electrical exam:

Household current:

Black- is hot,and provides current to a unit_
Red- is also hot and also carries power to a unit
Neutral- which completes the electrical circuit
ground- which enhances safety_________________

Midway Power: same thing, name each.________________

Bmp79
  •  Bmp79
  • 50.14% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:09:27 PM
As for midway current I cant say. In my life I rarely have work with electric and when I did I was taught on the spot and learned as I went.I'm a hard worker I'm more of a physical strength type worker I know I can do the work. I havent been to alot of shows to see about work, just filled some online app for a couple. Pinetar I filled out your questionaire so let me know if i'm close...
JustinJames
Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:57:03 PM
Quote:

quote:

As for midway current I cant say. In my life I rarely have work with electric and when I did I was taught on the spot and learned as I went.I'm a hard worker I'm more of a physical strength type worker I know I can do the work. I havent been to alot of shows to see about work, just filled some online app for a couple. Pinetar I filled out your questionaire so let me know if i'm close...

A lot of times online applications aren't seen for some time... usually this time of year the people that may monitor a show's website aren't doing so quite so much cause they are out on the road now. Best way to get into this biz is simply to "apply" in person.
johnroach100
Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:24:10 PM
I took a unit out for Red Roach one season. I know, I know.

Anyway, the job requirements were, breathing and sober. Well, mostly sober. I did insist on breathing. Too bad you weren't in SC that year, Bmp79.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:26:28 PM
Adrian :"OK so I was playin...I do know the answers but it's not my test to do. ;-)"

You have been select to 2nd man on an inflate. When can u start, $150 per wk.

bmp, u did well. Show up on site, have your back pack. Someone will hire you.
Do your homework, type up a resume.
UserPostedImage
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:52:31 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by johnroach100

Anyway, the job requirements were, breathing and sober. Well, mostly sober. I did insist on breathing. Too bad you weren't in SC that year, Bmp79.

red's show is a good place to start
he has given alot of guys the exp. of a life time[;)]
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
paulmbe
  •  paulmbe
  • 55.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:29:57 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by john777

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by johnroach100

red's show is a good place to start
he has given alot of guys the exp. of a life time[;)]

AMEN[:D]
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"