Toni
  •  Toni
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help Topic Starter
Tuesday, October 28, 2003 8:08:35 AM
What is your eairlest memory of the midway or being there?

My parents said I was 3. I remember being on a scrambler sitting next to my mom I could barely see over the safety bar.
Also around that time. I remeber Joe. Or Old Joe. All I remember is he was a black man and we hung out in his camper but I just remember it being a place. He had a huge I mean took up the enite wall. Teddy bear. I remember climbing all over it. I don't know what my parents were thinking being on the road with 3 kids and one just born but they were for a little while anyway. Funny thing I don't remember my sister or my brother just me, Old Joe, and a scrambler and a huge bear. GUess that was what did it for me. I don't remember what show it was. I should ask my dad. I am quite sure Old Joe is dead and gone but I remember him.
ridesicknsc
Tuesday, October 28, 2003 2:36:42 PM
My earliest memories must be from when I was very young. I have very vague memories of lighted rides at night and lots of noise. I was terrified of all the movement and sounds.

My parents tell me that until I was 5 or 6 years old I was scared of carnivals, and they would take me to the county fair and have to leave within a few minutes because of my screaming. Funny thing that I love carnivals and fairs so much today!

I can also remember my dad taking me to the county fairgrounds on set up day. I must have been old enough to not be scared by then. Reithoffer shows was coming in, and it was very sunny and warm. My dad and I walked over the fairgrounds watching these old, ground-mounted rides being assembled. It's one of my best carnival memories.
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, October 28, 2003 3:49:39 PM
Mine was the N.C. state fair,I was around five and my little sister was three.We were in Dorton Arena watching some sort of belly dancing thing and my sister got away from my folks and got on stage in front of everyone and started mimmicking the dancers.Hilarious ! [:)][:)][:)]
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
Mamatiger
Thursday, November 27, 2003 6:02:21 PM
My earliest carnival memory is from the Ohio State Fair when I was about 6, going around on the carousel. I remember being utterly fascinated by the bright red-and-gold band organ and staring at it each time I passed it to try and see how it worked.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain
swooper
Thursday, November 27, 2003 6:18:19 PM
Mine was when i was about 5 it was the morning after teardown, it had been raining. My dad drove us to Plainfield NJ where it must have been World of Mirth . I rember the water was just pouring down a hill by the lot and there was a truck labeled water there. My dad seemed to like to watch teardowns and i guess like father like son that is my favorite too.
carnivalangel14
Thursday, November 27, 2003 7:48:59 PM
The earlies memory that i have of being at a carnival was when i was around 6 years old. I went to the Livonia Spree with my mom, dad, and my cousin, who was like a sister to me, who was around 10. People thought that we were twins cause we look so alike. LOL. This was my first carnival show that i went to. Pugh Shows was there which must be why they were my favorite carnival company for so long. It was just getting dark out and all the lights were on. Me and my cuz went on the Scrambler a few times and other rides. I was a chicken when goin on fast rides. She asked me to go on the Thunder Bolt, i said yes but then i chickened out. Now, i love it!
~Vanessa~
*_ Agility~ My anti drug!!_*
J-bird
Thursday, November 27, 2003 10:03:10 PM
I can remember way back when I must have been five or six and my parents took me to the So. GA. Legion Fair with my aunt and my cousins. I can remember riding the little Hampton umbrella rides, the merry-go-round and then on to the bigger stuff like the scrambler and the himalaya. I was amazed at all the rides and back then our fair really was BIG. We would have the Zyklon and the Skywheel too and you could see the Skywheel, which we just called the double ferris wheel, above the treetops several miles from the fairgrounds. You could see the top of it lit up at night and it only added to your excitement while you were on your way to the fair
mjcarniegirl
Friday, November 28, 2003 12:53:57 AM
my earliest memories of going to a fair was to the orange co fair in middletown, ny . during my early yrs to about 5 or 6 yrs old my father used to work for the singer sewing machine store in middletown and would work a display booth at the fair for the singer co. My father would take my mom and i with him when he worked the booth. my earlist memories are kinda fussy but i can remember while my dad stayed in the booth, my mom and i would walk around the fair and i would ride the merry go round and some of the older rides like the old fire trucks and stuff . I can remember riding the live elephant and the ponies. And i can remember having cotton candy and walkaway sunday ice cream cones and snow cones !!! then my dad got transferred to a different town so we moved away for a few yrs to end up coming back to the area when i was in fifth grade and then i would go almost every summer to the middletown fair with my cousin and she would drag me on all the wild and crazy rides !! and when i was a kid the orange co fair in middletown was a pretty big fair . there was all kinds of local vendors and exhibits and side shows and lots of stuff to see. but i have noticed that in the past few yrs that the fair is getting smaller and has less and less stuff to see and do every yr.
punkboysa18
Friday, November 28, 2003 1:59:57 AM
The first time I remember going to a carnival was when I was five years old, of course Fiesta San Antonio. I remember I was terrified by the loud sounds of the midway. I first thought the big Pirate boat was the one making the loud whoosh sound but it was the holiday bounce next to it. The hurricane blowing air, and the mother of all loud f***ers, the Love Bugs[}:)]. I remember watching as all the light's inside turned red then blue or white, sirens going off, then the loudest horn ever![:0] The holiday bounce also "changed colors" everytime it wooshed. We would go to Fiesta every year after that. I was able to ride "brand new" rides throughout the years like the crazy dance, tumbler, Hard ROck(my favorite ride for many years), Evolution, Kamikaze, and the Space Loop(everyone just watched in awe the first year 1991). Sadly, recently the fair hasn't been too great.[:(]