skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, April 19, 2010 12:48:53 PM
Is the drive system the same on a Nachts as the Huss Rainbow? What i'm asking, if whatever keeps the gondola upright, the same as on a Rainbow? I've always been curious about that one, since you can see the driveshafts visible on the outside of the lower boom on a Nachts, but they're hidden in the Rainbow's lower boom. Also, does the 1001 Nachts require high maintenance to keep it going / in great shape, like a Huss Rainbow?, or not as much work, seeing as the Rainbow's a larger ride. Thanks ..Just a few things i'm curious about with a 1001 Nachts. That re-themed Nachts called the Typhoon down in Dunn, it looks great! It has all of his lights working on it, and on the gondola itself.
adrianduarte
Monday, April 19, 2010 5:43:05 PM
No, it's not. I believe the Huss Rainbow has a chain drive.
America's Got Talent 2011 Contestant #6******.
mcarnyforlife
Monday, April 19, 2010 6:34:02 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RainbowBen

Is the drive system the same on a Nachts as the Huss Rainbow? What i'm asking, if whatever keeps the gondola upright, the same as on a Rainbow? I've always been curious about that one, since you can see the driveshafts visible on the outside of the lower boom on a Nachts, but they're hidden in the Rainbow's lower boom. Also, does the 1001 Nachts require high maintenance to keep it going / in great shape, like a Huss Rainbow?, or not as much work, seeing as the Rainbow's a larger ride. Thanks ..Just a few things i'm curious about with a 1001 Nachts. That re-themed Nachts called the Typhoon down in Dunn, it looks great!

It has all of his lights working on it, and on the gondola itself.

impressive,. had all the lights going

violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND
LB Shows Mini Midway
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:02:45 AM
However, to further complicate the question, I would bet the old Weber 1001 Nacht rides were incredibly similar to Huss in their maintenance, reliability, and overall specifications.

Of course, I am assuming the question is relating to the one-trailer ARM 1001 Nachts considering you mentioned the drive shaft visible on the outside of the boom.

Just stirring the pot. [:D]
Tornado
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:32:35 PM
I believe the Weber version has drive shafts on the outside of the lower boom. You just don't see them as they're covered by the scenery that is on the lower boom as well
LB Shows Mini Midway
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:56:25 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tornado

I believe the Weber version has drive shafts on the outside of the lower boom. You just don't see them as they're covered by the scenery that is on the lower boom as well

I have learned something new.

I always assumed the Weber tried to imitate the Huss pretty dead on. Thank you for the info.
Tornado
Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:50:07 AM
I've seen 4 different 1001 Nachts. CVS when they had one, Ray Cammack when they had one, and 2 others in parks (one in wildwood NJ). One of the ones in the park, I thonk the wild wood one, had a HUSS manufacturing tag on it and NOT a WEBER. Thought that was strange???
Tornado
Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:55:59 AM
Also, the Weber 1001 Nachts was not trailer mounted per say. The center and the gondola would sit on trailer for transport. This looked similar to the way a container from a ship sat on a trailer for transport…
Keith
Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:50:07 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tornado

I think the wild wood one, had a HUSS manufacturing tag on it and NOT a WEBER. Thought that was strange???

Huss took Weber over I think.
LB Shows Mini Midway
Friday, April 23, 2010 5:50:06 AM
They were direct competitors in '85, weren't they?
adrianduarte
Friday, April 23, 2010 11:01:41 AM
Wasn't Weber a former employee of Huss? I sort of remember Huss ended up suing because something on the 1001 was a direct copy of the same mechanism on the Rainbow. Of course I could be wrong but I believe I read that on this website back in it's REALLY early days.
Keith
Friday, April 23, 2010 2:47:59 PM
I’m not aware of a past lawsuit but have noted two Weber-like pieces (1001 Nachts and Traum Boat) in a Huss brochure so it seemed reasonable to think Huss took over production. The brochure was mailed with a past issue of Carousel/now Carnival Magazine.
adrianduarte
Friday, April 23, 2010 4:23:07 PM
While we're on the subject of Rainbow type rides. Anyone remember Joust About at Six Flags Great Adventure?

adrianduarte
Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:27:28 AM
Schwarzkopf build it back in 80/81/82 time. The Schwarzkopf name for it is Dschunke translated to Chinese Junk. Quite primitive looking but it stood at the park until the late 90s. I remember seeing it while at Great Adventure back in 92 but it was closed that day.