daniel
  •  daniel
  • 73.82% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:44:45 AM
ok im planing on going to school to take multimidia production and opther needed class but. i want to know what i should take if i plan on becoming the owner of my own show one day. iplan on rowley amusements to be a real show owned by me and my gf possible future wife she is going for acounting.....do they get paid well in the out door amusement industry?
WestCoastPat
Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:53:56 AM
Hi Daniel-been a while since I have seen you on here. If you take a general business class it will give you a good background. Even though the Outdoor Amusement industry is different then a lot of business there are the same basic principles involved. Good Luck with the school, the future business and the GF. (That last one is the hardest one LOL) Your buddy WestCoastPat
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:54:31 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by daniel

ok im planing on going to school to take multimidia production and opther needed class but. i want to know what i should take if i plan on becoming the owner of my own show one day. iplan on rowley amusements to be a real show owned by me and my gf possible future wife she is going for acounting.....do they get paid well in the out door amusement industry?

[:0]

Oh I can see the responses coming....LOL
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:01:16 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by daniel

[:0]

Oh I can see the responses coming....LOL

I thought about it when I read this thread but I decided to take the high road....[8D][8D][;)][;)]
massachusettsman
Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:17:59 PM
I have NO expierience in the industry but I think you should try to get a job working in the office of another company and ask questions with the owner.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:45:46 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by massachusettsman

I have NO expierience in the industry but I think you should try to get a job working in the office of another company and ask questions with the owner.

good advise, just travel with a show or too, I think you'll change your mind about owning a show. There just isn't enough money to cover the hassels
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
bill m
Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:12:19 PM
Don't try to own A show,Do not be A doctor,Do not be A lawyer.

If you really want to make it "BIG" along with the big "BUCKS"

BE A MAYOR, THEN A GOVENOR, THEN A SENATOR, THEN THE WHITE HOUSE.
Bill M
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:48:02 PM
i have two boys in collage that were born and have worked their whole lifes in the business and i'll tell you the same thing i tell them find something else besides this business. there are alot of things you can do that are easier than showbusiness.
i have never owned a show but i do know alot of showowners ,i dont think most people have what it takes to be a showowner.
do your self a favor just stay a fan
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
chuck
  •  chuck
  • 62.8% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:27:45 PM
Go and work for a show first.
grabjointjim
Friday, March 26, 2010 1:53:10 PM
Good luck but being a fan and being in show business are two very diffrent things. Ive been in show business all my life and love it but I would not advise anyone that has not been in it to do the same like John said just stay a fan.
jimmy coffield
indianacarnie
Friday, March 26, 2010 8:19:53 PM
i agree. you HAVE to travel with a show for awhile to even have a clue about whats going on. as i'm writing this my mind is going through all the shows i've been on/worked for that are out of the business now. do you have any idea of where you want to play? if so.... what OTHER shows are playing that same area?some mighty powerful dogs out there not wanting to share their bones , you know. i love this business (this is my 30th year being with it)but i dont advise many people to join us. BUT....... after all that..... if you do make your dream happen..... good luck man!
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Skywheelrider
Friday, March 26, 2010 8:58:32 PM
All good advice Daniel, and I will agree with the consensus, travel for a couple of seasons with a show, a couple of different shows, maybe more, and see how they all operate. Work rides, joints, food, try and get some office work, see how a carnival really operates. You will see and learn things you never thought about.

I never thought I would ever work in the carnival business, but since I took a chance, I love it and would not want to work anywhere else.

Come up to Michigan and we'll give you a job for the summer, see what it's really like.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain