Tornado
  •  Tornado
  • 91.18% (Exalted)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:42:20 AM
to add to this line of questioning what is the height of a the Mulligan Wheel? Always wondered that in comparision to the Chance Giant Wheel.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:59:55 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Tornado

to add to this line of questioning what is the height of a the Mulligan Wheel? Always wondered that in comparision to the Chance Giant Wheel.

From numbers I have, the Mulligan Wheel is 80 feet tall, while the Chance Giant Wheel is approximately 88 feet tall (it's like 87 feet, 8 inches or something like that, I don't have the exact number right in front of me).
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Tornado
  •  Tornado
  • 91.18% (Exalted)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:02:43 PM
Thanks Chris.
Wow it seems like it would be more than 8 feet. The Chance wheel looks so much bigger…
So then the big question. Why would a show go with a Chance wheel instead of the Mulligan wheel? For an extra 8 feet in heights and 4 more gondolas you need 2 more loads. Does not seem worth it…
For example Belle City sold their Mulligan wheel for a Chance wheel. Why would they do that?
Besides having more gondolas do the gondolas on the chance wheel hold more rides? I mean look at the difference in structure between the 2.
donikersmell
Friday, March 5, 2010 8:55:08 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Tornado

Thanks Chris.
Wow it seems like it would be more than 8 feet. The Chance wheel looks so much bigger…
So then the big question. Why would a show go with a Chance wheel instead of the Mulligan wheel? For an extra 8 feet in heights and 4 more gondolas you need 2 more loads. Does not seem worth it…
For example Belle City sold their Mulligan wheel for a Chance wheel. Why would they do that?
Besides having more gondolas do the gondolas on the chance wheel hold more rides? I mean look at the difference in structure between the 2.



I was thinking the same thing. I spoke with Charles (Belle City) just a couple of weeks ago and asked him if he thought the difference in revenue out weighed the cost and hassle he assured me it did. I wondered if it was due to the increase in capacity or just the overall presence of the ride. He thought it was both. He said he was able to cut one trailer down to a pup making it 3 1/2 loads.
cny_chris
Friday, March 5, 2010 11:38:06 AM
Look at it this way... Mulligan loads 2 tubs at a time, right? Chance loads 4 at a time. Capacity has to be similar, I'd say 4-6 per on the Mulligan and 6-8 per on the Chance. So if you're at a spot where you've got a big line, the Chance is gonna eat it a lot faster. You're gonna load faster and put more butts in seats per cycle. Smaller spot, the Mulligan will prolly do the job, with nearly as much flash.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, March 5, 2010 12:05:05 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Tornado

to add to this line of questioning what is the height of a the Mulligan Wheel? Always wondered that in comparision to the Chance Giant Wheel.

From numbers I have, the Mulligan Wheel is 80 feet tall, while the Chance Giant Wheel is approximately 88 feet tall (it's like 87 feet, 8 inches or something like that, I don't have the exact number right in front of me).



chris, for some odd reason i was thinking the trailers added some to the height of the chance wheel so it was over 90'. seeing both close together the average fair patron would not notice a big difference.
Skywheelrider
Friday, March 5, 2010 12:56:15 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by britt

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Tornado

to add to this line of questioning what is the height of a the Mulligan Wheel? Always wondered that in comparision to the Chance Giant Wheel.

From numbers I have, the Mulligan Wheel is 80 feet tall, while the Chance Giant Wheel is approximately 88 feet tall (it's like 87 feet, 8 inches or something like that, I don't have the exact number right in front of me).



chris, for some odd reason i was thinking the trailers added some to the height of the chance wheel so it was over 90'. seeing both close together the average fair patron would not notice a big difference.

The number I have from Chance is 27 meters for the Giant Gondola Wheel, which scales out to 88.5827 feet tall (using a metric to English converter), ground to top.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
squirrel
Friday, March 5, 2010 1:04:51 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by britt

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Tornado

to add to this line of questioning what is the height of a the Mulligan Wheel? Always wondered that in comparision to the Chance Giant Wheel.

From numbers I have, the Mulligan Wheel is 80 feet tall, while the Chance Giant Wheel is approximately 88 feet tall (it's like 87 feet, 8 inches or something like that, I don't have the exact number right in front of me).



chris, for some odd reason i was thinking the trailers added some to the height of the chance wheel so it was over 90'. seeing both close together the average fair patron would not notice a big difference.



You guys got me thinking because I remembered from a while back reading a write-up about them at Indiana Beach (they have one up on the piers down there. It read that it takes you up over 90' view, so I did the math and figured out how they came up with it.

The wheel diameter, at it's widest point including the gondola width and bonnet width is 88' according to Chance. If you subtract 6 feet for the extended width from the gondolas and bonnets, you get an 82' diameter. The wheel itself is 'overhead' from the loading platforms, so say add back the 6 feet in height when standing at the loading platforms. So we're back to 88' from the lowest point in the loading platforms, add another 4-6 feet from ground level to those platforms depending on where the ride is setup and you get an average of 94-96' tall for the Giant Gondola Wheel (Chance)...
DanTheBooker
Friday, March 5, 2010 1:08:06 PM
I think you hit a point about 75ft, where the average fair patron will only say 'Wow, we are friggin' High!" LOL

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by secret.squirrel

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by britt

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Tornado

to add to this line of questioning what is the height of a the Mulligan Wheel? Always wondered that in comparision to the Chance Giant Wheel.

From numbers I have, the Mulligan Wheel is 80 feet tall, while the Chance Giant Wheel is approximately 88 feet tall (it's like 87 feet, 8 inches or something like that, I don't have the exact number right in front of me).



chris, for some odd reason i was thinking the trailers added some to the height of the chance wheel so it was over 90'. seeing both close together the average fair patron would not notice a big difference.



You guys got me thinking because I remembered from a while back reading a write-up about them at Indiana Beach (they have one up on the piers down there. It read that it takes you up over 90' view, so I did the math and figured out how they came up with it.

The wheel diameter, at it's widest point including the gondola width and bonnet width is 88' according to Chance. If you subtract 6 feet for the extended width from the gondolas and bonnets, you get an 82' diameter. The wheel itself is 'overhead' from the loading platforms, so say add back the 6 feet in height when standing at the loading platforms. So we're back to 88' from the lowest point in the loading platforms, add another 4-6 feet from ground level to those platforms depending on where the ride is setup and you get an average of 94-96' tall for the Giant Gondola Wheel (Chance)...

cny_chris
Friday, March 5, 2010 9:58:51 PM
Same comparison can be made with the Chance Giant and the Dutch Wheels. Both are 4 trailers, but the Chance is self-erecting, while the Dutch needs a crane. 90'+/- compared to 115'+/- for the Dutch Wheel. Some swear by the Dutch Wheel, some swear by the Chance.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
BIG L
Friday, March 5, 2010 10:23:13 PM
all in all just a light tower and an armband ride
Looking for strong route to book a
1 man ticket box. 😛
Skywheelrider
Friday, March 5, 2010 11:50:00 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by BIG L

all in all just a light tower and an armband ride

I disagree. On Wade, for example, both Chance Giant Wheels were always at or right near the top of the ride list at almost every spot they played in terms of tickets. Some folks come to a spot and only buy enough tickets to ride the wheel. The foremen on each wheel used to tell us they did not get many repeat wristband riders.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
squirrel
Saturday, March 6, 2010 1:42:21 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by BIG L

all in all just a light tower and an armband ride

I disagree. On Wade, for example, both Chance Giant Wheels were always at or right near the top of the ride list at almost every spot they played in terms of tickets. Some folks come to a spot and only buy enough tickets to ride the wheel. The foremen on each wheel used to tell us they did not get many repeat wristband riders.



You're right on with this one --

Big wheels are 'one-time-riders' -- not a whole lot of armband activity - but lots of people who will not right anything but that big wheel --
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Monday, March 8, 2010 11:44:47 AM
looks at the fsf numbers, the giant wheel did damn good there.....
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Matt C.
Monday, March 8, 2010 11:52:38 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Ryan

looks at the fsf numbers, the giant wheel did damn good there.....



Yes it did. Wade's wheel did have a great location too.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com