kris0106
  •  kris0106
  • 53.7% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
squirrel
Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:34:50 PM
Lookin' at that route brings a couple thoughts --

1. It must be nice to have <s>monopolistic control</s> enough money and equipment to be able to pick and choose the spots you want and boom, have them...

2. Downer's Grove says in newspapers for last 2 months that there is no Heritage Festival this year.
Erik9976
Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:44:33 PM
Yeah it must be
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by secret.squirrel

1. It must be nice to have <s>monopolistic control</s> enough money and equipment to be able to pick and choose the spots you want and boom, have them...

2. Downer's Grove says in newspapers for last 2 months that there is no Heritage Festival this year.

celticanne77
Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:45:43 PM
That's true, and sad... monopolistic control defines it. They are running all the others out of the business, and those that can't be bought off will slowly be strangled by 'investigations' done by 'professional' journalists, and by laws to ensure the safety of all fair-goers. It's a sick, but simple way to do business.
I'm a freelance journalist, and have spent part of my life in the amusement business. My husband was with Myers for close to a decade.
If I could find a financial backer, I'd take a year to run with the show, document the REAL lives, and the TRUTH that not all carnies are sex-addicted, drug addled theives and pedophiles.
In truth, the only reason I need financial backing is I have to have my own house, and truck. I have 5 kids, and my mom can care for 3, but I'd have to keep at least two... that's hard living in a bunkhouse, lol! Which, one of the 2 I'd take with me, incidentally, is a product of Robby Myer's bunkhouse!
Geneva
Molon Labe!
Green help: "Is this thingy important?" (referring to Rkey from ride, not scenery...)
Me: "No, dumbass, it's perfectly fine when the tub comes flying off and bodies are slung everywhere!"
God do I hate stupid people!!!
LB Shows Mini Midway
Friday, February 12, 2010 5:58:50 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by secret.squirrel

Preach on.
Pizzagod
Friday, February 12, 2010 9:35:34 AM
Was this place renamed Matt's Communist Warehouse? Monopolistic control. Puh-lease! That is such a crock of crap.

If that's the case, what happened to Dothan? Why doesn't N.A.M.E. have some of the other gems like Des Moines or Raleigh.

I get spots that others can't get, Dan Leimon gets spots I can't get-is there a monopoly?

Wah! Some big shows combined and they brought their routes and equipment together and now Ralph's Tilt-A-Whirl can't land a gig. Wah!

Is it that slow here? Was that post for real?

Nobody on the independent ever got squeezed by a show? That's the way this business works guys.

Squirrel...tsk tsk. Are you just agitating for fun?
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
squirrel
Friday, February 12, 2010 10:36:15 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pizzagod

Was this place renamed Matt's Communist Warehouse? Monopolistic control. Puh-lease! That is such a crock of crap.

If that's the case, what happened to Dothan? Why doesn't N.A.M.E. have some of the other gems like Des Moines or Raleigh.

I get spots that others can't get, Dan Leimon gets spots I can't get-is there a monopoly?

Wah! Some big shows combined and they brought their routes and equipment together and now Ralph's Tilt-A-Whirl can't land a gig. Wah!

Is it that slow here? Was that post for real?

Nobody on the independent ever got squeezed by a show? That's the way this business works guys.

Squirrel...tsk tsk. Are you just agitating for fun?

It's a combination of stirring and truth-telling... Since you don't operate rides (no insult intended, I swear!) and aren't trying to book spots where you are the ONLY name on the lot, they don't affect you near as much. Me, and some of my fellow showmen do business in areas where they are extremely dominant as a midway provider. Simply because they have the financial power and equipment arsenal that if they want one of your spots and you are a 20-30 ride show, they can offer a committee ANYTHING IT TAKES to bump you out from straight up writing a check to out-percentage bidding and more. Sure, there are other shows that can do this, but NOBODY can do it on the scale that they can... That's why I cry foul.
Pizzagod
Friday, February 12, 2010 4:22:36 PM
I can understand your frustration, but...

Let's face it, you have a 20-30 ride show, you're going to crowd out a guy who has one major and three kiddies-and yeah, you get pushed out when somebody with deep resources is interested in your spots. But that's business, isn't it?

When I only had a popper, a lot of the spots I wanted were tied up. If it wasn't Netterfield, it was Jim Day, or Zag. I had a lot of sweet spots, and stuff happened. Friendly did something pretty Un-Friendly, but it was just business. I ticked off Mrs. Vivona one year and co-incidentally the show bought the whole independent the next year (however-Karma works, and a hurricane blew away the fairgrounds that year). Then there was the time....

I mean it's frustrating-and any of the fans who read every word here and never understand why there is an "Omerta" for us should finally get it. You got something good going, you don't talk about it or somebody else could come around.

I feel for you-really-but it's just business (said the man who lost a really sweet Popper location last year when the Mitchell Brothers finally exed up this one fair. Angry? Not really, grateful that I was able to make a lot of money for almost twenty years. )

In the spirit of keeping heated discussion going I will add N.A.M.E. is not the evil empire.
obol
  •  obol
  • 51.3% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:45:09 AM
Pizzagod
Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:31:21 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by obol

its called capitalism

Don't go being reasonable, you'll just mess things up...
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:35:27 PM
The Europeans have it right with the guild system. You must be born into the business to operate anything.

I spoke to a Frenchman at the Clevaland IX trade expo who so desperately wanted to be in the bus. but couldn't.

Once we are nuked, we shall regroup.
UserPostedImage
sausageseller
Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:52:28 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pizzagod

I can understand your frustration, but...

Let's face it, you have a 20-30 ride show, you're going to crowd out a guy who has one major and three kiddies-and yeah, you get pushed out when somebody with deep resources is interested in your spots. But that's business, isn't it?

When I only had a popper, a lot of the spots I wanted were tied up. If it wasn't Netterfield, it was Jim Day, or Zag. I had a lot of sweet spots, and stuff happened. Friendly did something pretty Un-Friendly, but it was just business. I ticked off Mrs. Vivona one year and co-incidentally the show bought the whole independent the next year (however-Karma works, and a hurricane blew away the fairgrounds that year). Then there was the time....

I mean it's frustrating-and any of the fans who read every word here and never understand why there is an "Omerta" for us should finally get it. You got something good going, you don't talk about it or somebody else could come around.

I feel for you-really-but it's just business (said the man who lost a really sweet Popper location last year when the Mitchell Brothers finally exed up this one fair. Angry? Not really, grateful that I was able to make a lot of money for almost twenty years. )

In the spirit of keeping heated discussion going I will add N.A.M.E. is not the evil empire.

Right on!

When I lost a spot because a show took it fence to fence. I sucked it up and looked for something else.

I have heard the same complaints for 35 years. It was The Royal or Goodings or Pughs or this show or that one.

The NAME haters are just todays JCLs , nothing new.

Bowler Roller
Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:50:12 PM
FYI

Communism loves monopolies, especially when they're owned, controlled by, or otherwise benefit the State.

Capitalism is about free enterprise, and enterprises can't be free when they're controlled by one, or only a few, entities.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
squirrel
Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:50:34 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by sausageseller

The NAME haters are just todays JCLs , nothing new.

WOW - really? I'm a Johnny Come Lately because I don't believe that their practices are 100% ethical? So much for 20 years in this business... Oh well... I've been called worse...
CanobieFan
Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:52:26 PM
Hmm.. Anyone think its odd Meadowlands isn't listed? NAME ran that midway last year. I wonder who's doing it this year.

Had a better time there last summer than I did at the Florida State Fair last night.... [V]