Skywheelrider
Friday, October 17, 2003 8:07:27 AM
Sheesh, I am on a roll! LOL I just added two albums of James E. Strates Shows at the Greater Ionia (Michigan) Fair from July 2002. These are photos that Webshots had deleted on me over the winter, and I have re-uploaded them for your enjoyment. I have five more photos I am going to add so I can completely fill the second album. Right now between the two albums there are 115 photos, although a few of the photos are of some independent concessions and rides that were in Ionia as well, but 90% of the photos are of Strates Shows, and include day, evening (dusk), and night shots. Included are rides, games, concessions, midway shots, and the office complex. Link:
http://community.webshots.com/user/wonderlandshows  and then either one of the James E. Strates Shows in Ionia albums. Enjoy! [:)][;)]

Oh, and one more thing with this topic thread: NO STRATES SHOWS BASHING ALLOWED! [xx(]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
FunkyTown
Friday, October 17, 2003 8:34:16 AM
Awesome Pics!![:D][:D][:D][:D]
Cstephens
Friday, October 17, 2003 8:52:41 AM
hey chris, great pics of strates, i wish they still went to ionia cause i'm sure you miss them, and i really would'nt mind taking over the michigan state fair. i think wade's becoming old news at the michigan state fair and i think strates, reithoffer, farrow or even powers great american midways would be a better choice for eather fair.
crazyspin
Friday, October 17, 2003 9:28:35 AM
Skywheelrider
Friday, October 17, 2003 9:58:51 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I wish I could see Strates on a regular basis, at least once a year, but since they are not coming to Michigan anymore, it is kind of hard to. But I sure did enjoy the time I did get to see them in Ionia. CStephens, they have the New York State Fair (and will probably keep it), and with the problems they had in Ionia, I doubt they would even consider the Michigan State Fair. Powers? Nice choice, as would be Amusements of America (my personal choice), although I think Wade does do a good job there, it is not an easy place to set up and play. [:)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Blake Huston
Friday, October 17, 2003 12:03:08 PM
Great pics Chris, you got some pretty good night shots, but then again you usually do.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, October 18, 2003 9:45:10 PM
Wow, I really AM on a roll! LOL I just finished off uploaded two more photo albums to Webshots, this time A.J. Carl Shows of Grand Rapids, Michigan, owned by Jimmie Carl. This show, as I have heard it, was started up in 1997. I first saw them in 1999. The original A.J. Carl Shows ran in Michigan in the 1950's and 1960's, and led (kind of) to Crown Amusements, owned by Dick Carl until bought by Pugh Shows in 1998 (and we all know what happened from there, no need to rehash it). Dick Carl still has a few rides he books at different spots, with Wade Shows, J&J Amusements, Playworld Amusements, etc. In any case, the photos I uploaded are of A.J. Carl Shows at various Michigan spots from 1999-2003. Included are day, evening (dusk), and night shots. Rides, games, concessions, midway shots, support equipment, etc., it is all there. The show is very nice, they are friendly, and clean. Just about all the lights burn at night, the rides look good, nice show. Well, here is the link: A.J. Carl Shows photos  

Then the two albums on the last page. Enjoy! [:)][:)]

Sven
  •  Sven
  • 52.64% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, October 18, 2003 10:25:46 PM
Great pics.

Who does the artwork for the "new" consessions?
A question i always wanted to ask: "Are consessions and rides always placed in the same pattern?"
Sorry, if those questions allready where answered somewhere.
[url=periocus.de]UserPostedImage[/url]

Modelle - Dioramen - Design
proud member since 2003
FACEBOOK 
Cstephens
Sunday, October 19, 2003 11:48:36 AM
grwat pics of a.j carl, but i don't ever remember them buying an expo
wheel, it's a good ride but i thought their show was a little to small to handle a ride like that, what happend to the venture scat?
did they sell it or are they just not using it right now?
Skywheelrider
Sunday, October 19, 2003 1:08:16 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Cstephens

grwat pics of a.j carl, but i don't ever remember them buying an expo
wheel, it's a good ride but i thought their show was a little to small to handle a ride like that, what happend to the venture scat?
did they sell it or are they just not using it right now?

Thanks for the compliment. The Venture Scat was sold after the 2000 season. They took delivery of the Expo Wheel this past August. The date of manufacture plate says 31 July 2003, and the Michigan inspection sticker says 19 August 2003. Not a bad looking wheel, nice size for their show. I do not like the secnery panels in front, though, but the light show is nice. [:)]
Skywheelrider
Sunday, October 19, 2003 1:14:36 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sven

Great pics.

A question i always wanted to ask: "Are consessions and rides always placed in the same pattern?"

Thanks Sven. Rides and games and concessions are set up according to the lot. Some lots allow for nice perfect rectangles, some lots have lots of trees and therefore rides are set up wherever they can fit, and then the games and concessions are squeezed in. I do not think there really is a set pattern, although sometimes I think there is for certain lots (what I mean is, Mid America Shows could set up a lot a certain way, and Wade Shows could come in the following year and lay the lot out the exact same way, then two years later Playworld Amusements comes in and does the same layout). As for painting, not sure what you mean by "new concessions." If you mean from the factory new, I am sure when someone buys a concession trailer they could have SOME input in the colours used. Maybe someone else with some experience could answer that question better. [:)]
Skywheelrider
Sunday, October 19, 2003 7:43:35 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Blake Huston

Great pics Chris, you got some pretty good night shots, but then again you usually do.

Thanks Blake! Yeah, nothing quite like a midway at night. Something almost magical, if you know what I mean, all the lights, the sounds, yeah, I like it! LOL [;)]
JustinJames
Monday, October 20, 2003 5:52:16 PM
When is a certain someone gonna put KINSLER MIDWAYS up on a certain account???[:p]
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, October 21, 2003 5:40:33 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

When is a certain someone gonna put KINSLER MIDWAYS up on a certain account???[:p]

Heh heh heh....keep your pants on there Mr. Slick, that will happen soon enough. Cannot put up photos of one show without putting up some photos of two others LOL. Nah, soon man, soon. [;)]
Sven
  •  Sven
  • 52.64% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, October 28, 2003 12:25:41 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

Originally posted by Sven

Great pics.

Thanks Sven. Rides and games and concessions are set up according to the lot. Some lots allow for nice perfect rectangles, some lots have lots of trees and therefore rides are set up wherever they can fit, and then the games and concessions are squeezed in. I do not think there really is a set pattern, although sometimes I think there is for certain lots (what I mean is, Mid America Shows could set up a lot a certain way, and Wade Shows could come in the following year and lay the lot out the exact same way, then two years later Playworld Amusements comes in and does the same layout). As for painting, not sure what you mean by "new concessions." If you mean from the factory new, I am sure when someone buys a concession trailer they could have SOME input in the colours used. Maybe someone else with some experience could answer that question better. [:)]
[/quote

Thanks for the answer.

Ok! I thought some time about this. If i get this correct, the rides are always placed in the same pattern every year?
I thought about it, because in germany the rides are always set up at the same places, sometimes they change, but this is rare. There is always a place reserved for new rides. Most of the time it is the worst on the lot, because it should attract people.
Some showman insist to get the same every year.
[url=periocus.de]UserPostedImage[/url]

Modelle - Dioramen - Design
proud member since 2003
FACEBOOK