Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:13:55 PM
Ok guys here is a writeup of what I personally experienced with both kits that were put out this summer. I purchased a couple things from each company and this is a start to what I have built so far.

Model Tech Studios
BasketBall Game
UserPostedImage

Pros
-Excellent trailer detail- Otterbacher "Alum a Body" look, running lights, rear access door, 3D Marquee
-Everything inside is 3D
-Cast resin pieces which is proven to be durable over time
-Very nice laser cut pieces as well

Cons
-Tailer is backwards. Ive never seen a trailer with the opening on the right side?
-Wheels are too small (about 1.6 HO scale feet) and non moving
-Therefore the wheel wells are too small
-Weak graphics

Laser Tech Studios
40' SkeeBall
UserPostedImage

Pros
-Nice trailer details- running lights, license plate
-3D marquee and lettering
-Lanes are fantastic

Cons
-Nothing inside is 3D
-No rear door, non moving wheels
-Difficult to paint
-Unsure of how the cardboard/matt board will hold up over time (moisture in the air)- this is what everything in the kit is cut from

Raymond Schrum
40' WaterRace
UserPostedImage
Thought I would throw this one in. Its a free kit from Raymond on the ridemodelers site. I scratch built everything, then added his graphics/design!

These are just my examples of what each company is putting out! The $40 that each kit costs is definately worth the money. I have added a lot of different detail than you will just get in the basic kits (my own flags, ballys, trailer graphics/decals). Also gotta thank Hurley for some graphics work! Its great that these companies are helping out our very rare hobby, and im sure I will be buy more from both!

http://community.webshot...om/album/575507101ZTHOBj 
Benjibear
Friday, November 13, 2009 12:47:17 AM
Thanks for the review. Hopefully both comapnies can see this and use it to improve the kits.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
LaserTechStudios
Friday, November 13, 2009 3:33:40 AM
Ted, Great job on the kits! They all turned out fantastic. I very much appreciate your comments and will use everyone's comments/suggestions to make the best possible kits I can.

I just wanted to share a few thoughts...

-The mat board that most of my kits are made from should hold up very well over time. All of the parts are coated with paint so there is little to no "exposed" mat board. You shouldn't be worried about it holding up.

-I agree the kits are not the easiest to paint, they do take some skill...but thats all part of the fun and challenge of modeling.

-I decided to use 2D interior graphics after I built a few models and realized when they are on display you can barely see whats inside to begin with! Thats why I focused most of the attention to detail on the exterior of the kits. It keeps the cost of the kits down and makes assembly that much easier/faster.

-I can easily add rear doors to the kits, I have just never seen one with a rear entrance door thats why I never added it! My machine gun kit does have rear trap doors but not an entrance door.

Again, GREAT job on all of the kits and thank you for the comments!
-Anthony
Benjibear
Friday, November 13, 2009 6:04:34 AM
I would say most game trailers have a rear man door at the tongue side of the trailer.

Also, I think I would have to agree that painting probably very important in keeping the moisture out.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
tjscarnivaloflights
Friday, November 13, 2009 7:08:20 AM
Hi Guys,

Not to be overlooked, I would like to submit this photo of one of my game trailers with lighting, prizes and stuffed animals. I will be coming out with 3 new custom rides this week as well.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Tim J., Owner/Builder
TJ's Carnival of Lights
www.tjscarnivaloflights.com 
No carnival is complete without the extravaganza of lights!
LaserTechStudios
Friday, November 13, 2009 7:21:24 AM
Looks nice Tim, but do you have any close up detail pics? I've never seen the backs or any detail photos of your models before. What are the trailers made out of?
-Anthony
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by tjscarnivaloflights

Hi Guys,

Not to be overlooked, I would like to submit this photo of one of my game trailers with lighting, prizes and stuffed animals. I will be coming out with 3 new custom rides this week as well.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

tjscarnivaloflights
Friday, November 13, 2009 7:53:37 AM
There is plenty of detail, the lights, prizes, stuffed animals, people etc. These details give it life! It's not just a trailer sitting there....lol The trailers are made of plastic and heavy cardstock. The backs of the trailers have the roof supports for the roof sign....The interiors have all the prizes and so on....

TJ
Tim J., Owner/Builder
TJ's Carnival of Lights
www.tjscarnivaloflights.com 
No carnival is complete without the extravaganza of lights!
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:32:44 AM
The stuff from Laser Tech has just been superb. The only thing that holds me back from further products is the durability of the pieces. From experience with plastic parts from warping in the near future,I feel I can reinforce certain areas of the design with plastic parts. I must say its been great to communicate with Laser Tech on here by posting our recommendations for future products with them.