warren from orlando
Friday, October 16, 2009 10:50:40 PM
Sorry for the vague topic but I don't really know how to pose my question. I'm a retired circus performer with no experinece in carnivals other than working fairs with shows and loving the fair dates far more than the big Shrine Dates or even Ringling. I do love the mechanics and operational physics of mechanical rides.

I just looked through John240's great Bhotos of Butler's dates and due to his large number of photos of the backside of several dark rides and walk thrus, I began to question something about public response to these kind of attractions. If I have a typical say 102 inch wide by 52 foot long semi trailer that I can fold out into a 100 foot front and 20 foot plus high front, I still have only the space of the trailer to hold the attraction. I know that there are a lot of these attractions that actually expand the core trailer but in John's photos there are several that do not. How is the public response when they see these great fronts and then this tiny attraction? Do you get a lot of heat from this? When I visit a fair or carnival, I generally eat my fill of "fair food" that I love and ride some big pieces that are either classics I love or seem to offer me a new experience. I built haunted houses and dark walk through experiences for Universal Halloween Horror Nights for 10 years so I don't really like dark rides.

The circus is guilty of the same kind of over-hyoe. I just saw the "zimb, zam, zooey" or whatever they call it 139th edition of Ringling last night and was ready to leave after walk out before the first half was over. Fortunately I stayed and saw some great work in the second half. So I'm not pointing fingers. I'm just curious as to how it works? I know if I see a Spidora or Zambora back end show, I'm going to see some kind of illusion that may be well done or badly done but I'll get a good laugh out of it. But if I hand over 4 or 5 ride tickets for a dark ride and there is nothing in it, I'm unhappy.

I can appreciate the great artwork and scenic stuff on the fronts but I'm just curious about how the operations really work out. Sorry if this sounds like Rainbow Ben - a great memeber by the way, but I just don't know how to ask my question.

Warren
squirrel
Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:37:18 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Tre in GA

I see what your saying. It seems around here most Dark Rides are 2-3 tickets. I like to go in them just for the charm of them, and I know the general public isnt looking at it like I am.
I guess its going to depend on the person.
I do however beleive that Haunted Mansion DR that I used to see booked in with Drew Expo was 5 tickets, but it was 2 levels and a little more than your average dark ride............
trey

Overheard this from a mark one day as their family was walking around a competing lot - "I know I'm at the carnival -- I just spent 18 dollars for my family to walk thru a dark empty semi trailer... But it had a great picture on it --"
warren from orlando
Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:20:51 PM
Thanks for the repies, squirrle ant trey. The question was cpushed by actually seeing Ringling's "Vanishing inflatable elephant" at the opening of the show after looking at the photos. As I sat in the seats in pain wondering how anyone could fall for this, I was amazed by the audience response as they bought it hook, line and sinker as the saying goes. I guess in my old age, I've become way to cynical about what entertainment can do and how little it talkes to amuse and entertain people.

Appreciate your insight and response.

Warren
Skywheelrider
Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:26:24 PM
I know of one show that had a dark ride (haunted house) that was said to be true to the name; it was just dark inside, nothing more! LOL
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Bowler Roller
Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:18:17 PM
I always wanted to set up an empty tent, and stand outside shouting "absolutely nothing inside! Tickets half price!", just top see how much I'd make.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, October 18, 2009 7:56:55 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Bowler Roller

I always wanted to set up an empty tent, and stand outside shouting "absolutely nothing inside! Tickets half price!", just top see how much I'd make.

like the HAY COME AND SEE IT or THE 6 FOOT MAN
EATEN CHICKEN [;)]
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage