Flying Coaster
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:09:59 AM
Best way to describe the ride would be miniature version of the Enterprise. It was smaller in diameter and had enclosed tubs which resembled flying saucers. It would start spinning horizontally and raise to a vertical position with the tubs flipping outward like the Enterprise. Anyone remember this ride, and/or have pics of it?
The Quasar thread made me think of this ride, it very much looks like a Quasar in the parked position. The lift arm pivoted at the back of the ride, but when raising, the ride tilted toward the front.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 86.98% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:59:01 PM
THUNDERBIRD! The only pic I have of it is from behind. One of a kind wasn't it?
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:17:08 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

May have been, I remember it gave them lots of problems. Any idea who built it? Any chance of posting the pic?
Raziel Lestrange
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:51:59 PM
I think this was build by J Bakker Denies (NL) and was called Skylab . Thunderbird i believe was just a re-themed Hang 10 by Reverchon.

You can find descriptions of the Skylab on that Sheffield UK fairs website ( dont know the link )
80miler
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:16:37 PM
Hi Tre in GA the ride in the 70's was it the one with the back wall scenery painted tulip mirror center named Aquarius ?
Keith
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:01:47 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

May have been, I remember it gave them lots of problems. Any idea who built it? Any chance of posting the pic?

Thunderbird pic here - built by Heinz Faehtz:
http://members.shaw.ca/carn/Thunderbird.jpg 

Skylab in first pic as referred to in Raziels’ post:
http://www.nfa.dept.shef...istory/rides/enterp.html 

Huss built a Skylab.
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:17:55 PM
Thar she blows!
UserPostedImage
Thanks Keith, looks like Thunderbird for sure although I can't remember if it had 12 tubs or 14 like Skylab, been a while. Thanks for the pics.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:02:17 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

Thar she blows!
UserPostedImage
Thanks Keith, looks like Thunderbird for sure although I can't remember if it had 12 tubs or 14 like Skylab, been a while. Thanks for the pics.

12 tubs from your pic
BeauceCarnavalMan