mgr man
  •  mgr man
  • 63.12% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, July 31, 2009 11:37:08 AM
Amusements of America is playing the Ohio State Fair. Admission was 3 dollars on opening day,plus 5 dollars to park. Then heading for the fair entrance,I found something new added. The highway patrol made everyone go thru a metal detector. Opening day was a little rough for the carnival,with the rain,the crazy mouse coaster being worked on and the avalanche coaster was not working. Rides include,

2 merry go rounds
2 scooters
2 rock and roll himalyas
2 mardi gras glass houses
crazy mouse coaster
avalanche coaster
fireball
wave swinger
yo yo
drop zone
giant wheel
rock o plane
fun slide
viper
gravitron
tornado
rok n' rol
cliff hanger
jungle gym
tomb of doom
tip top
zipper
small wave swinger
pharaoh's fury
costruction zone
frog hopper
ferris wheel
go gator
bumble bees
rockin tug
monkey mayhem
lady bugs
ballons
racing
tubs of fun
barrels of fun
happy viking
wacky worm
treefall
dragon wagon
safari train
kiddie scrambler
pumpkins
helicopter
speedway
crazy plane
1 hampton
zero gravity
hard rock palace
extreme
tilt a whirl
quasar
banzai
music video fun house
dark ride
sponge bob fun house
power surge
space roller
2 water bumper boats
some photos,[http://good-times.webshots.com/album/573828108VRGdNK]
cny_chris
Friday, July 31, 2009 7:02:20 PM
What's the scoop with BOTH coasters being down? Is it the same change in the Ohio law that forced NAME to close their Crazy Mouse early at the IX center this spring? I had heard somewhere that none of the portable coasters currently in the US would be able to operate in Ohio... true or false?
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Thrillseeker
Friday, July 31, 2009 8:08:09 PM
I'm afraid true.

On March 9, a new revision on the Ohio Ride Safety Laws, portable coasters are not allowed. That is why North American Midway had to pass on Crazy Mouse.

I'm afraid the OH State Fair might be without those coasters.
A.J.
(Still (somewhat) the Thrillseeker...?)
"The Pharaoh's Fury caused a Tornado which make everyone Freak Out. Well, except me."
http://thrillseeker.spaceplane.ws/ 
- The Thrillseeker Carnival Series is coming back in 2011! -
2ndgencarnie
Friday, July 31, 2009 8:09:07 PM
Seems to me if there was such a law Big A would not have wasted their time putting the in the air...
Thrillseeker
Friday, July 31, 2009 8:29:44 PM
Which was why I looked at 'Ohio State fair' and I saw 'Crazy Mouse' and 'Avalanche'.... Then I wondered... uh-oh. Especially about Ohio's revised ride safety code...

IX was actually the place I wanted to go to first, then when I heard about 'no coaster', I was wondering... why?
A.J.
(Still (somewhat) the Thrillseeker...?)
"The Pharaoh's Fury caused a Tornado which make everyone Freak Out. Well, except me."
http://thrillseeker.spaceplane.ws/ 
- The Thrillseeker Carnival Series is coming back in 2011! -
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, August 1, 2009 1:48:17 AM
Great midway! Two rock n rolls one swing style the other himalaya type.
Bgotthar
Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:47:48 AM
So why is Ohio Now scared of Portable Roller Coasters? From the record Son of Beast is what I would worry about.
I worked for Pugh Shows from 1974-2000. Married Michelle Gazella of Gazella's Finer Foods
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:09:32 AM
does ohio consider a orient express/dragon wagon/wackyworm, portable coasters? J&J had a 100' orient with the loop operating a few weeks back outside cleveland. what is the law?

i believe bob mcknight had his wacky worm in the ix this spring....
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
2ndgencarnie
Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:39:38 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by lotman

does ohio consider a orient express/dragon wagon/wackyworm, portable coasters? J&J had a 100' orient with the loop operating a few weeks back outside cleveland. what is the law?

i believe bob mcknight had his wacky worm in the ix this spring....

We have a Milar coaster and I haven't heard of anything like this from the state. We use it every week.

Bob Mcknight has his Wacky Worm at OSF, was it running?
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:42:13 AM
all coasters are open in osf according to a source on the grounds...
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
2ndgencarnie
Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:44:39 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by lotman

all coasters are open in osf according to a source on the grounds...

good to hear...
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:23:56 AM
You mean the state law info was BOGUS, OMG. I was assured that if you read it on the internet, then it was state law.
UserPostedImage
Larry Smith
Saturday, August 1, 2009 10:37:01 AM
I did notice while reading on their website that they charge $1,100 for each inspection of a roller coaster including the sticker, then $950 for each succeeding inspection....Wowzers!! No wonder you don't see too many portable coasters running around Ohio...LOL
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:42:19 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Smith

I did notice while reading on their website that they charge $1,100 for each inspection of a roller coaster including the sticker, then $950 for each succeeding inspection....Wowzers!! No wonder you don't see too many portable coasters running around Ohio...LOL

Avalanche is a Huge money-maker. Two grand is pocket change.
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
mgr man
  •  mgr man
  • 63.12% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:50:42 PM
The crazy mouse was done because they were working on the track,and the avalanche was closed,because the cars would get to a level spot and stop. I was watching the A of A crew going around the track,and once they got to a level spot it stopped. The crew put one leg on the track to get the cars moving.