Patrick McGuire
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:26:21 PM
I recently found out that Midway of Fun in CA sold their Sky Wheel to Davis Enterprises of Southern CA. Midway of Fun acquired it in around 2002. Has anyone heard that Davis is planning to use it on any spots this year? They don't seem to have a web site.
Thanks
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 86.98% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:49:38 PM
If that is Larry Davis' son, they had a Sky wheel they've been trying to sell for ten years.
mikecroaro
Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:58:11 PM
Hi Patrick:

Nice to hear from you on the message boards. Davis has a website at www.davisrides.com . It hasn't been updated in a year or so.

It would be nice if it was at the Cal Mid State Fair in Paso Robles this year.

It's been a couple of years since MOF used the piece so it will be nice seeing it.

Mike Croaro
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:14:26 PM
Pat, If I'd have known you lived in Stockton I'd have made the trip from Merced when I was there. Hope to be back in Merced in the near future. Sorry I missed you
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Patrick McGuire
Friday, May 22, 2009 12:30:23 AM
Mike,

Yes, it would be great to see the Sky Wheel up at the Mid State Fair. I guess the Sky Wheel that got from Larry Davis must have needed too much work so maybe that is why they never used it. Since he bought this they must plan on using it you would think. If you go I am sure you will let us all know.

I think I am going to check out Christensen Amusements this weekend for Memorial Day. They will be in Maywood, CA in LA at a park. I will take pictures and upload them here.

Flamo, drop me a line if you get out this way again.
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, May 22, 2009 9:24:32 AM
I can guarantee you that Larry Davis' Skywheel is in mint condition; all his equipment was. Probably JoAnn still owns it and still is trying to sell it. She sells a piece or two a year and all of it is perfectly maintained and stored. Larry was a real stickler for that.
I don't think that Tommy bought Larry's Skywheel.
paulmbe
  •  paulmbe
  • 55.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, May 25, 2009 3:24:48 PM
The Skywheel is in WQ getting ready to be sand blasted and overhauled. It will be a long project but a certain member of the board is an employee there and will be posting pics as the project goes forward.
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"
mikecroaro
Monday, May 25, 2009 7:32:52 PM
Hi Paul:

Glad to hear the Skywheel is being worked on. I look forward to seeing pictures of the work in progress.

Here are a couple of pictures of what the Skywheeel looked like PRIOR to the current renovation:

http://good-times.websho...om/album/569955331RNSkdt 
Flying Coaster
Monday, May 25, 2009 9:52:18 PM
Is it just my computer or is webshots getting slow & goofy lately?
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Patrick McGuire
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:04:39 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Sue

I can guarantee you that Larry Davis' Skywheel is in mint condition; all his equipment was. Probably JoAnn still owns it and still is trying to sell it. She sells a piece or two a year and all of it is perfectly maintained and stored. Larry was a real stickler for that.
I don't think that Tommy bought Larry's Skywheel.



Sue, I was wondering about this myself but the owner of the show was the one that told me he sold it to Davis Enterprises. And according to the above message it is confirmed. Still a mystery as to what is going on with Larry Davis old one huh? Why would they buy another if they already had one and never run it?
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net
Patrick McGuire
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:07:00 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by paulmbe

The Skywheel is in WQ getting ready to be sand blasted and overhauled. It will be a long project but a certain member of the board is an employee there and will be posting pics as the project goes forward.



I will be looking forward to the progress on this one as well. I rode this Sky Wheel several times between 2002 and 2005 and it gave great rides, and smooth. I have some great pictures of it as well. I hope to see it again someday running in CA.
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:26:18 AM
I think there is confusion about Davis Enterprises and Larry Davis' show which was Carnival Time Shows. Tommy is Larry's son and he owns Davis Enterprises. The CTS equipmnent is owned by Larry's widow, JoAnn Davis. When Larry retired, both of his children started their own shows: Tommy has Davis Enterprises, and Debby Helm has Helm& Sons. JoAnn Davis owns all the equipment that was Larry and hers. Ownership did not go to her children. If they have any of the CTS equipment on their routes, they bought it from JoAnn or perhaps lease it from JoAnn. So she owns the Skywheel that is in great condition in storage, not Tommy. He bought another old one to fix up or for parts if he owns a second one already.
Patrick McGuire
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:24:07 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Sue

I think there is confusion about Davis Enterprises and Larry Davis' show which was Carnival Time Shows. Tommy is Larry's son and he owns Davis Enterprises. The CTS equipmnent is owned by Larry's widow, JoAnn Davis. When Larry retired, both of his children started their own shows: Tommy has Davis Enterprises, and Debby Helm has Helm& Sons. JoAnn Davis owns all the equipment that was Larry and hers. Ownership did not go to her children. If they have any of the CTS equipment on their routes, they bought it from JoAnn or perhaps lease it from JoAnn. So she owns the Skywheel that is in great condition in storage, not Tommy. He bought another old one to fix up or for parts if he owns a second one already.



Ok, this all makes sense now. Thanks
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net
mikecroaro
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:34:28 PM
Hi Folks:

Sue is very correct in her explanation of the three Davis Shows. I will note however, that Tommy had his own show LONG before Larry retired. His show dates back to circa 1980.

Mike
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:55:12 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by mikecroaro

Hi Folks:

Sue is very correct in her explanation of the three Davis Shows. I will note however, that Tommy had his own show LONG before Larry retired. His show dates back to circa 1980.

Mike



Such is so, I saw tommy set up in Anaheim in the fall of 81 with some of his dqds pieces; super round Up and Mack Himi. I was loading my new purchase of a Reverchon Himi from Knotts Berry Farm when tommy came by. He didn't know the ride was available.
UserPostedImage