gruelurks
  •  gruelurks
  • 51.8% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:19:07 PM
They need to move it up I-96 between Lansing and Novi somewhere in my opinion. That hellhole they call a neighborhood around the fairgrounds is what keeps people away. All the vermin, human and animal both, come crawling out when the fair is in town.
Pizzagod
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:35:53 PM
I say we take one of the better county fairs (at least with space, safety and some community support) and designate it the new state fair.

Fowlerville, Shiawassee, or Ingham come to mind.

What about Kalamazoo? Not a bad fairgrounds and not all that far from the rest of the state.

I'd still like to see Escanaba be the only State Fair.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Genaration 4
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:01:20 PM
Shiawasee's a great idea! Its a great little fair and has plenty of room.
ScorpionKing
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:27:44 PM
What about Jackson? or Flint? or even Allegan? there are plenty of other places up there to move this fair to!! why on gods earth would you not A) forcefully clean up the area or 😎 Move it away from the ghetto... if they even moved it somewhere on the north side of I-696 it would be great but anywhere south of 12mile is a retarded idea!! i mean theres plenty of space even around chealsea,or romeo and these are decent communitites that would benefit HUGELY from having a fair like this!! i look at it this way when the STATE FAIR isnt in the top fairs in your state theres a friggin problem!! heck the spree and fairs like the U.P. fair are probably much more profitable than the state fair.... on that note we do the polish festival at st.marys in orchard lake over memorial day weekend and those 4 days are busier than any day i have ever seen at the so called michigan state fair. get a new location or get rid of the thing... i dont want to have to wrry about wether my car is gonna be there when i get done with my family!!
Pizzagod
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:08:02 PM
I thought about Jackson, but it's land locked, and the grounds are too small, and it's in an "urban" setting so I'm sure that what ever stigma Detroit has would carry over.

Allegan does very well, and it's a rather...um....unique group (think about Berrien Springs unique) and they do very well and probably would not be interested.

Flint. Ah, that place....near and dear to my heart, a fair I played for 20 years. But those grounds are in really rough shape. Shiawassee is a very young fairgrounds, with a lot of room, so that made the cut as far as my suggestions went.

Inertia is something that's really rough to overcome, and who knows what will happen. Even if they say the current fair is done, stick a fork in it, there will be a lunatic fringe wanting to keep it where it is and keep throwing money down that deep hole.

Heck, even Imlay City would be a thought.
Genaration 4
Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:53:14 AM
Allegan dosent have the room for the crowds they get now. There kind of on an island no room for expansion. Shiawassee has plenty of room along with farm land all around to purchase if necessary. Chealsee is in the little town with no room also. Livonia is tight now and would have to be moved to I think. Imaly city has room.
ScorpionKing
Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:29:18 PM
well there we go Imlay City it is!!!! i still like allegan for location and if they were to move the bottom parking area and expand behind the 4-h area it would be great!! plus it has that historic village already in place.... I miss the guy with the wooden puzzles!!
JustinJames
Friday, February 6, 2009 7:31:07 AM
You guys are all talking about existing grounds... why not build a new one somewhere... real estate is certainly vacant in this state. LOL
BigGuyNC1
Friday, February 6, 2009 7:46:22 AM
you guys forgot about Eaton county or maybe the fairgrounds in Belleville.Also Tuscola county had nice ground back in the day as well.Just a thought.By the way the 8 mile corridor has been an urban war zone for years.IMHO.[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality-Ayn Rand
Pizzagod
Friday, February 6, 2009 8:37:27 AM
Belleville is not big enough-and besides, you know what happens to a neighborhood when the .... (Okay, I live there). But it's not big enough.

As far as Mr. James suggestion of building a new grounds, I'm not $ure if the $tate would $ee thing$ your way. $ometimes they claim that they can't raise the ca$h for such project$.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, February 6, 2009 9:00:42 AM
I heard you guys in Michigan are gonna get $397 Gazillion dollars from the new Stimulas Bill for a new Fairgrounds....

Personally I think we should just give Michigan to the Canadians....Let's make that place their problem....
Larry Smith
Friday, February 6, 2009 9:07:29 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BigGuyNC1

you guys forgot about Eaton county or maybe the fairgrounds in Belleville.Also Tuscola county had nice ground back in the day as well.Just a thought.By the way the 8 mile corridor has been an urban war zone for years.IMHO.[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Having lived in Canton for 20 years and going to Belleville every year until 1986 I an assure there is NO room there....LOL It was starting to get crowded when I left and i am sure after 20+ years it has gotten more congested....
bdcbbq
Friday, February 6, 2009 9:24:24 AM
The question behind moving the state fair to another location is it going to make sense business wise. How many people in the Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb area will drive to some of the other locations suggested to go to the fair? Or will numbers increase to the state fair by more people going since its not at its current location. Who wants to take the financial risk in this environment. Killing it for a few years and letting the strong county fairs compete and grow is the free market at its best.

From the suggested locations Ingham probably makes the most sense regarding location and ease of access. I don't know how much room there is for expansion now but there was quite a bit years ago.

I have a few memories of some great times back in the '70's playing Detroit and a lot of lost memories too.[:D]
Bruce
Skywheelrider
Friday, February 6, 2009 9:48:51 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Smith

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BigGuyNC1

Having lived in Canton for 20 years and going to Belleville every year until 1986 I an assure there is NO room there....LOL It was starting to get crowded when I left and i am sure after 20+ years it has gotten more congested....

The fairgrounds in Belleville is bigger than you think, but still not big enough for a state fair. Heck, they cannot even seem to handle a county fair anymore. LOL

The only place around there would be farther south in Sumpter Township, plenty of open land there, but again, the money for building a fairgrounds is just not there.

According to Gov. Granholm (worst governor in Michigan history, IMHO, and many other folks' opinions), she wants to kill the Upper Peninsula State Fair in Escanaba as well.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Missin it
Friday, February 6, 2009 11:47:00 AM
Sounds like a perfect time to convert one of those auto Companies Properties, LOL
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)