gruelurks
  •  gruelurks
  • 51.8% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:37:20 PM
http://www.detnews.com/a...90201/POLITICS/902010335 

LANSING -- Gov. Jennifer Granholm wants to eliminate the 160-year-old Michigan State Fair, slash elected officials' pay by 10 percent and slim down state government from 18 departments to eight.

The proposals, to be outlined in her seventh State of the State address Tuesday, underscore the gravity of Michigan's budget crisis, and the impact of the national recession on this state.

"The governor will say state government can no longer be all things to all people," Liz Boyd, spokeswoman for Granholm, told The Detroit News. "When the governor says these cuts will be painful, that comes from the heart."

Pizzagod
Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:40:38 PM
Dude! You beat me to posting this!

How about that? Hmmmm....Did Frank see this coming?
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:43:13 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pizzagod

Dude! You beat me to posting this!

How about that? Hmmmm....Did Frank see this coming?

That was exactly what I was thinking as I read the article.
Erik9976
Sunday, February 1, 2009 8:41:17 PM
Why is it that when theres a problem the 1st thing they wanna axe is the fair. We need fairs. I do understand that Michigan is in trouble but axing the state fair isnt gonna save them in the long run.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, February 1, 2009 10:43:14 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Erik9976

Why is it that when theres a problem the 1st thing they wanna axe is the fair. We need fairs. I do understand that Michigan is in trouble but axing the state fair isnt gonna save them in the long run.

Nobody Needs Fairs...They are nice to have but not a life neccessity...There are 9 other things on the chopping block as well...
Pizzagod
Monday, February 2, 2009 1:39:53 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Erik9976

It's a shame, but speaking from experience, our fair is a money pit. We have plenty of other county fairs that are a lot healthier, and don't need state help to survive.

I have an independent spot at the Upper Peninsula State Fair as well as working the event with Skerbeck, and that fair has a much better chance of surviving. It's supported in the community, it's well received, and still is able to provide much of what a state fair does. I wonder if the fair in Detroit fails if Escanaba would be designated at the state fair.

On the other hand, maybe Granholm would just like some private entity with deep pockets to take over the fair as far as the financial support goes-of course then that entity would control the fair, but at least it would survive.

cme
  •  cme
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, February 2, 2009 1:49:31 AM
I think a lot of other states will follow suit
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, February 2, 2009 2:53:49 AM
I believe Nebraskas is using lottery proceeds to keep their heads above water.
RodB
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, February 2, 2009 3:30:30 PM
Would NAME try to keep the Michigan State Fair going at some location?
Pizzagod
Monday, February 2, 2009 3:59:47 PM
I only book with them, but my guess is that if the numbers made sense, NAME would probably be willing to subsidize to some extent.

I think that no matter what happens, the fair would benefit from moving out of the Woodward-8 Mile area.

Just my opinions. I speak for nobody. I'm guessing. I don't know.
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:46:08 AM
The story I read said she's not cancelling the fair. She's refusing to pay for the losses, between 50K and 1m, that the states not supposed to be paying anyway.

The loacation is the biggest reason I wouldn't take kids there. Of course, if they moved it, they'd probably move it so far away that I wouldn't go.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Genaration 4
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:53:36 AM
I always thought the state fair should be more in the middle of the state.
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:53:39 AM
Either in the middle of a state, or near it's biggest population centers.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:25:57 AM
Shoot, there has been talk about shuttering the state fair, selling the fairgrounds, moving the fair, etc., for probably twenty years or more.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Larry Smith
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:36:44 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Shoot, there has been talk about shuttering the state fair, selling the fairgrounds, moving the fair, etc., for probably twenty years or more.

Yeah I remember watching ol Bill Bonds back in like 86 before I moved to Florida talk about all the shortcomings the fair had. Chris is right Michigan has been trying to kill this fair for years......