Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, January 19, 2009 8:59:47 AM
Was thinking about it, there are hardly ever any carnival auctions anymore. Seems like most of the parks that go out have a broker liquidate them out. The strates auction is the first carnival auction in a long time.

So the offial question is, are carnival auctions a thing of the past???
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
cny_chris
Monday, January 19, 2009 10:13:23 AM
I have to believe that it's all about what method will get the best return for the show owner/park owner (or the creditors). If the stuff is rough, needs work, or is more parts and support equipment, I'd figure the auction route would be used. Solid rides, concession equipment, and game equipment I'd expect to go through a broker or private sale. Auctions tend to bring out the bargain hunters, IMHO.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, January 19, 2009 10:44:16 AM
When the next BIG show goes out of Business they'll be back, and the used ride market will be flooded again.
cme
  •  cme
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, January 19, 2009 10:49:26 AM
the question which show will it be
Hambone
  •  Hambone
  • 55.16% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, January 19, 2009 11:14:49 AM
The used ride market is knee deep if not flooded now.
Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
2ndgencarnie
Monday, January 19, 2009 12:10:58 PM
Why is it that the used ride market is nearly flooded but I can never find what I'm looking for???
longpondcamper
Monday, January 19, 2009 12:31:05 PM
In March, I will be receiving my auctioneering certificate and believe that there is a future for auctions. I would love to get in on a carnival sale someday. Sometimes, yes, auctions can be full of junk and sometimes items sell for less than they are worth. However, I think that the shows that are going out of business choose to go through other means of selling the equipment because they think that is all auctions are for: junk. Truth is, if there were nice items at a sale, I believe they could possibly go higher than market value if the right people were there. Every sale is different and every crowd is different. I think there should be more carnival/amusement auctions, and I hope to help change that. If anyone has any tips for me going into the auctioneering business, either carnival related or not, I'd appreciate it.
D Hunter