Benjibear
Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:51:51 AM
I have heard those two theories with bidding on ebay.

If you bid early and run the price up, you may scare away some potential bidders and watchers because they see the price as being too expensive. This prevents some people from watching the item and bidding at the last minutes when they get caught up in the moment and bid more then they should. I think this method works if you really want the item and you are willing to pay a high amount of money to get the item. This also prevents you from getting caught up in the moment and over bidding.

The other theory is wait until the last minutes and bid. The reasoning behind this is you keep the price low and you hope that other watchers forget about the item. This method works if you are looking for a deal. The problem is you get caught up in the moment and overbid.

I am sure there are others out there. As a seller, I have seen items jump in the first couple of days and stay there till the end or items that stay low and then go high in the last hour. For me if I want the item, I usually bid my maximum when I first see it and if I don't get it, oh well too bad. If I am looking for the bargin, I will watch and bid the last minute but I always only bid once and don't get caught up in the moment.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:12:58 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

I have heard those two theories with bidding on ebay.

If you bid early and run the price up, you may scare away some potential bidders and watchers because they see the price as being too expensive. This prevents some people from watching the item and bidding at the last minutes when they get caught up in the moment and bid more then they should. I think this method works if you really want the item and you are willing to pay a high amount of money to get the item. This also prevents you from getting caught up in the moment and over bidding.

The other theory is wait until the last minutes and bid. The reasoning behind this is you keep the price low and you hope that other watchers forget about the item. This method works if you are looking for a deal. The problem is you get caught up in the moment and overbid.

I am sure there are others out there. As a seller, I have seen items jump in the first couple of days and stay there till the end or items that stay low and then go high in the last hour. For me if I want the item, I usually bid my maximum when I first see it and if I don't get it, oh well too bad. If I am looking for the bargin, I will watch and bid the last minute but I always only bid once and don't get caught up in the moment.

I like to watch an auction and see where it is and then decide if it's worth bidding on. Then I determine how high I would go and then take it from there. If I win, great, if not, ah well, maybe some other time. Unfortunately, Cummons models are too expensive for me. $511.00, wow. LOL
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:15:40 PM
$535...is that a price these pieces usaully go for???
SideWinder
Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:20:29 PM
Brand New Paratrooper from Don Cummons is $425.00
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:25:31 PM
Well then what the hell is going on here???
cny_chris
Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:28:05 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

Sidewinder forgot the part about there being a 3-4 year wait for a model direct from Don Cummons...

Time is money, lol...[}:)]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Skywheelrider
Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:30:55 PM
Quote:

quote:

Some folks don't want to wait for Don to build a new model, so they bid like crazy for one on Ebay, because they can get it in days instead of years. So in that sense, they are willing to pay extra for not having to wait.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:34:23 PM
I see... I can definitely understand paying a little extra to avoid the wait.

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys...[:)]
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:24:05 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:

Some folks don't want to wait for Don to build a new model, so they bid like crazy for one on Ebay, because they can get it in days instead of years. So in that sense, they are willing to pay extra for not having to wait.

It's not that they don't want to, it's that they don't have to. I don't mind the wait, it's worth it IMO, but if I can get it ASAP, I will. I pay good money for things that I want.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:14:52 PM
My Girlfriend just e-mailed the guy and I hear he has more stuff. Keep an eye out I guess.
Mailman21842
Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:26:00 PM
Thanks Sean, and tell your girlfriend she can e-mail me also...
Just a person with a big hobby, of collecting carnival stuff.
BSA Mike
Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:04:33 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Mailman21842

Wow...

thats uncalled for.

Dick move mailman dick move
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:17:47 PM
Quote:

quote:

Low blow for helping you out there Mr Mailman sir. Why do they call ya the Mailman anyway's? Delivering mail because those *rap wedding gigs not paying the Ebay bills? Now I could try to dig more into your personal life yet for the respect of Matt and the others on this form who maybe more civilized then others here at MCW, I will keep it clean and end our little discussion now.

BSA Mike
Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:53:20 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by FNO Sean

Quote:

quote:

Low blow for helping you out there Mr Mailman sir. Why do they call ya the Mailman anyway's? Delivering mail because those *rap wedding gigs not paying the Ebay bills? Now I could try to dig more into your personal life yet for the respect of Matt and the others on this form who maybe more civilized then others here at MCW, I will keep it clean and end our little discussion now.

Excellent 600th post.
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:09:07 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BSA Mike

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by FNO Sean

Quote:

quote:

Excellent 600th post.

Well I have never been so amazed to make 600 posts since I stuck a banana in my pocket and turned the monkey loose.