Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:05:02 PM
Cedar Fairs doing what they do best. [8D]
JustinJames
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:18:51 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

Ain't that the truth. They are the best amusement park corporation.
FartingCarni
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:43:47 AM
Sounds like they're cloning Magnum XL 200 at Kinds Island. Actually come to think of it Magnum didn't have that many big drops on it.
Predatorocks
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:43:22 PM
Goliath at SFOG is awesome. I don't think this is a good choice spending the money RIGHT now. That park just got an old coaster themed new, and not many people think it's old. Cedar Fair is in a heap of debt even though Six Flags is a lot worse off, and it just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money so soon. I would think the same thing with many other parks.

Why spend $10 million one year (The amount Firehawk costed even though old.), and than two years after that, spend another $20 million? More recently, they also had to put some money into the Son of the Beast to tear down the loop, and get new trains.

Look at what Cedar Point did. They put in Wicked Twister in 2002 which costed $10 million. Next year, they put in Top Thrill Dragster which costed $25 million, and that's just the initial cost. Many problems set them back more then $25 million. In 2004, they added something to the waterpark. I don't know the price on that. However, in 2005, they added Max Air which costed 7.5 million. In 2006, SkyHawk costed $6 million. People thought before riding it, that they were virtually the same ride even though they weren't. In 2007, they added another $21 million coaster which was Maverick. In 2008, they put in old kids rides from a former park.

Look at all that money going into that park. They spent at least $69.5 million in 6 years, and I don't know how much more Top Thrill costed because it was more than $25 million after problems happening with it.

This is wasteful spending in my opinion. I'm not going to say that I won't enjoy Top Thrill Dragster, Wicked Twister, and Max Air is an okay ride, but it's still so much money.

I think that the Six Flags CEO is wrong in saying that there are going to be no more Goliath's because they bring people to the park. However in my opinion, they shouldn't be adding new stuff every year, or get a whole lot more cheaper rides like carnival rides instead during the years they don't buy coasters.

I can't believe Cedar Fair didn't keep the Wipeout, and put it in one of there other parks. That bugs me.
JustinJames
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:41:28 AM
Six Flags moves coasters around. Is this the same Goliath from California Magic Mountain?
cny_chris
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:10:15 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

Six Flags moves coasters around. Is this the same Goliath from California Magic Mountain?

Goliath is brand-spanking-new. Not a Six Flags rehash from another park.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
wheelingtunnel
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:45:13 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

Ain't that the truth. They are the best amusement park corporation.

I seem to agree with both JustinJames and 2ndgencarnie on this. You can go to ANY Cedar Fair amusement park and find yourself riding some GREAT roller coasters. Case in point: I went to Cedar Fair's Dorney Park, just outside of Allentown, PA, in July of 2007 and rode 3 of their roller coasters (Hydra, Steel Force, and Talon), and they were all great coasters to ride.
Going to travelling carnivals, circuses, and amusement parks has given me a broad spectrum of knowledge of what goes on in the amusement world.
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:28:33 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by wheelingtunnel

I seem to agree with both JustinJames and 2ndgencarnie on this.

You should have never done that...your chance at having a good reputation is now shot by simply agreeing with me. Better luck next time[:(]
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:39:34 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tre in GA

What coaster did SFOG get that was old themed new ? If your talking about Deja Vu they scrapped it. The only coasters in SFOG that where from somewhere else is Ninja, all the rest are SFOG originals. The Mindbender was the first coaster of its kind in this country and the building of the Great American Scream machine brought on a resurgance in wooden coasters. Not alot of people relize that SFOG was considered thier flagship park in the 70s and 80s and usually got the new rides first. At one point in the late 90s SFOG had more coasters operating in one place in the country.
Justin I think all the GOliaths are being built new, they seem to have brought on some $$$ for the parks and they are having some troubles right now. SFOG , SF ST Louis and SF Texas are under a different company tho and arent having as bad a troubles as the other parks with SF name.
I cant wait till this weekend to ride Goliath again. These Hyper Coasters are unreal. Best rides ever. No question.
tre

Actually the resurrgence in wooden coasters was brought on by the opening of the Racer at Kings Island in 1972. It was such a beautiful coaster, parks all over wanted to have a large wooden coaster either for the first time or again. Soon after came coasters such as Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion, Collossus at Magic Mountain, Great American Scream Machine at SFOG, Screamin' Eagle at Six Flags near St. Louis, and in 1979 the Beast at Kings Island, for example.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
JustinJames
Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:24:58 AM
Six Flags parks in general that I've been to have been an incredible dissapointment. The rides are sparse, the help is at best unprofessional and the layouts are the worst. The only exception to this was Magic Mountain. The only thing that made the park worth it was the coasters... the rest of it was the same as the others.

Cedar Point and other Cedar Fair parks have the market bar set higher. One instance is to watch how dilligent the ride operators are in their attention to the rides and loading. I took my whole family (5 people total) and the whole trip cost me just under $300.00 with gas, lodging and food. That's pretty reasonable. That wasn't the case each time I went to a six flags park. To pay the same admission fees to ride one third the amount of rides is just ludacris.

Six Flags Georgia was by far the most dissapointing and ripped-off feeling I've had though. The park was a joke. The customers didn't make it any better either if you get my drift. LOL

Maybe some of the parks I've not attended are better, but I highly doubt it.

Cedar Point, Kings Island, Knott's Berry Farm, Disney, Worlds of Fun and Michigan's Adventure are the tops of my list.
JustinJames
Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:27:20 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Predatorocks

This is wasteful spending in my opinion. I'm not going to say that I won't enjoy Top Thrill Dragster, Wicked Twister, and Max Air is an okay ride, but it's still so much money.

However in my opinion, they shouldn't be adding new stuff every year, or get a whole lot more cheaper rides like carnival rides instead during the years they don't buy coasters.

I've always thought you didn't know much. Now I know it.
Jackpotter
Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:49:19 AM
I go to an amusement park to ride big, bad, tall, fast thrilling roller coasters. I could care less at a Theme Park about Himalayas, Wipeouts, Scramblers. Simply put, look at the lines. You don't find two or three hour lines to ride the Scrambler...but you will darn sure find them for Top Thrill Dragster or Millenium Force. Even on crowded days, theme park crowds go to the big expensive rides.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:57:44 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Predatorocks

Goliath at SFOG is awesome. I don't think this is a good choice spending the money RIGHT now. That park just got an old coaster themed new, and not many people think it's old. Cedar Fair is in a heap of debt even though Six Flags is a lot worse off, and it just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money so soon. I would think the same thing with many other parks.

Why spend $10 million one year (The amount Firehawk costed even though old.), and than two years after that, spend another $20 million? More recently, they also had to put some money into the Son of the Beast to tear down the loop, and get new trains.

Look at what Cedar Point did. They put in Wicked Twister in 2002 which costed $10 million. Next year, they put in Top Thrill Dragster which costed $25 million, and that's just the initial cost. Many problems set them back more then $25 million. In 2004, they added something to the waterpark. I don't know the price on that. However, in 2005, they added Max Air which costed 7.5 million. In 2006, SkyHawk costed $6 million. People thought before riding it, that they were virtually the same ride even though they weren't. In 2007, they added another $21 million coaster which was Maverick. In 2008, they put in old kids rides from a former park.

Look at all that money going into that park. They spent at least $69.5 million in 6 years, and I don't know how much more Top Thrill costed because it was more than $25 million after problems happening with it.

I think that the Six Flags CEO is wrong in saying that there are going to be no more Goliath's because they bring people to the park. However in my opinion, they shouldn't be adding new stuff every year, or get a whole lot more cheaper rides like carnival rides instead during the years they don't buy coasters.

I can't believe Cedar Fair didn't keep the Wipeout, and put it in one of there other parks. That bugs me.

Do you even understand the difference bewtween a carnival and an amusement park? (I am not sure you do based on the last part of your post.) Folks go to a carnival to ride the Ferris Wheel, Tilt-A-Whirl, Scrambler, Wipeout (as an example), etc.; they go to an amusement park to ride the big coasters, the flumes, the river rapids rides, the big drop towers, basically, the big multi-million-dollar+ attractions. That is what draws folks in, not the Wipeout or a Tilt, etc. While having a Tilt, Scrambler, Himalaya, Flying Bobs, and/or other traditional rides, etc. is part of almost all parks (as there are some that either will not or cannot ride the big coasters and such), that's not what draws folks in, it's the big coasters and such that does that. How hard is that to understand? Even a state fair, a lot of times it's the annoucement that a big coaster will be there is what draws more folks in that maybe would not have visited that fair. And really if you are such an "expert," why not call up Cedar Fair and voice your concerns and apply for a job as their financial guru.

But as for a ride like the Wipeout, if that's what's drawing you in to a park like Cedar Point, I think you are misguided, and you might as well save your money and stay home and visit your local shopping centre or church when they have a carnival come in with rides like that.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:59:46 AM
All I can say Tre is that all parks make at least some exaggerated claims. My sources are many, including two different roller coaster history books by two different folks that are back at my Parent's home in Michigan. Fascinating reads by the way, I'll have to get the name's of them. In any case, wooden coasters were a dying bread until Racer opened up.