Skywheelrider
Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:56:47 PM
Taking a dinner break here in Missouri at the State Fair, decided to put these up for anyone that's interested. Some photos from last week in Sterling Heights, Michigand the Sterlingfest at Dodge Park. Mostly dusk and night shots. Enjoy.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
skydiver77
Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:36:46 PM
Hey Chris, does Wade still set up their Rainbow? I would love to see it at the NC State Fair again! [8D] I know that happened to that Rainbow in Sweden, but, i will still keep riding a Rainbow when i see one, that won't stop me riding my favorite ride in the world. Let me say this, i would definately go for a ride on that very Rainbow that broke once they fixed the problem & had it back up running. I wouldn't be afraid to ride it, it's truly a safe ride. WAY safer than flying in a jumbo jet, you know how many times a year those things crash?? [:0] LOL Anyway, i missed seeing Wade's Rainbow at the state fair last year at the fairgrounds. It doesn't matter who's Rainbow it is, when i see one, i still and always will think of the Myrtle Beach Pavilion's Rainbow and think in my mind that this Rainbow is it. [8D]

I like the Mulligan Wheel too, it's got a great view from above and is very colorful at night, as seen in those photos. I've got a question i'm curious about Wade's Rainbow. Did it used to have the rod/pole that sat in between the counterweights at the top? I think someone said Huss put that rod there to hold a flag. Like wether it was Strates' or Conklins' Rainbow, they could put their show's logo flag & put it on that pole that sits between the counterweights.

Of course i thought it was there for another purpose. Like when a thunderstorm came through the area and lightning were to strike the ride, it would bounce off of that rod and onto something else, and not harm the ride's electrical system. Great pics by the way of that fair!

~Ben

PS I've started ( a little ) back up on my Myrtle Beach Pavilion layout. I'm done with the IHC Carousel, and it represents the Pavilion's Carousel that sat across the street from the Pavilion arcade building. My next goal is to get the IHC Ferris Wheel and it will represent the Ferris Wheel that sat next to the Carousel in the late 80's, before they had that accident on it in 1991 where a 17 year old fell out of his seat because he was ...rocking his seat, and it says clearly on the back of every Eli Wheel seat, Do Not Rock Seat. He got what he was asking for, and it killed him when he hit the concrete ground below.
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:39:31 PM
Great pics Chris...hey is that a "rat wheel" in the 4th to last pic that has a full tip? What ever it is, it's nice to see a joint winning $$$.
Bowler Roller
Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:52:05 PM
It's a Crazy Ball.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Skywheelrider
Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:26:15 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, that is a Crazy Ball.

Ben, the Rainbow has been up at a few spots already this season. Don't know about Raleigh yet.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain