•  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, August 4, 2008 7:01:23 PM
i got the pleasure of finally seeing and riding it this weekend Beautiful Ride
Bob

JustinJames
Monday, August 4, 2008 9:01:35 PM
Drew has the a.h. Wheel. Mcdonagh has the VAlare bros original.
Keith
Monday, August 4, 2008 9:07:34 PM
Kris,

The two Velare Brothers, Curtis and Elmer built the first wheel of this design for the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair. After the fair the wheel was carried by Royal American Shows for many years. CVS obtained the wheel from RAS then later sold it McDonaghs who I read here was to restore it.

Allan Herschell later built one for Drew Expo.
CrAzY DaNcE Dj
Monday, August 4, 2008 9:34:43 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Keith

Kris,

The two Velare Brothers, Curtis and Elmer built the first wheel of this design for the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair. After the fair the wheel was carried by Royal American Shows for many years. CVS obtained the wheel from RAS then later sold it McDonaghs who I read here was to restore it.

Allan Herschell later built one for Drew Expo.

you are right about the velare wheel but the herschell was built for happyland shows then was sold to drew
babyhughie
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:28:55 AM
I was in chesaning last weekend at mc donaghs shop.They are in the slow painstaking process of rebuilding the wheel.The trailers are pretty much TOAST.Alot of the smaller iron is already blasted and primed, scattered randomly around the shop.I was talking to one of their shop guys and he told me the worst of the damage is to the tubs.The toeboards did not have drain holes in them so the water has sat for years.He said most of the aluminum on the tubs has to be completely replaced!But, I guarentee you, when its done it will look better than new.I really wish I would have taken my camera with me.[;)]
kris0106
  •  kris0106
  • 53.7% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:18:10 AM
do one get on fire and any one went down in the a ocean
wildbilltruckin
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 9:47:02 AM
Where did you learn to spell?
a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse.
Keith
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:40:40 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by kris0106

do one get on fire and any one went down in the a ocean

I wouldn’t think any of these wheels caught fire. I do recall reading in AB about a wheel at the Knoxville Worlds fair. Can’t remember many details from the article but some sections of the supports where lost in the ocean upon shipping. The wheel could have been from Vekoma.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.36% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 9:36:18 PM
The Knoxville wheel had some spokes damaged in shipping and they had to rush airfreight new ones from Europe to get it open. That wheel is at Darien Lake Park in NY today.