Bowler Roller
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:58:49 AM
When I worked for $125 a week, I was still making more than I was at jobs well over the min wage ($3.35 at that time), because the show gave me a bill-free place to live, and transported me wherever I needed to go. I didn't have to pay rent, or electric, or gas...etc. All I needed to pay for was food, and laundry.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
cny_chris
Saturday, June 28, 2008 11:16:18 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bowler Roller

When I worked for $125 a week, I was still making more than I was at jobs well over the min wage ($3.35 at that time), because the show gave me a bill-free place to live, and transported me wherever I needed to go. I didn't have to pay rent, or electric, or gas...etc. All I needed to pay for was food, and laundry.

Bingo! Kinda wondered when someone was gonna say something along that line... And when you're working those kind of hours, you don't have much time at all to blow any spare cash you have, unless you have some bad habits. [:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Discjo
Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:10:40 PM
Bowler is Right!!!! Expenses Vs. Perks -- life is good!! It is how you work them. Just like PQQ --- and put down the pipe. [8)]
coacoabeware
Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:12:13 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

Miss it everyday I'm home.

you can say that again
butterfly in reverse
Saturday, June 28, 2008 2:30:45 PM
I remember some spots where spot help actually got paid more for the week than some of the show help. Because they weren't put on salary, they were paid by the hour and they made more in some cases than our newer travel help. I do not think a show could survive if it had to pay everyone hourly- even at minimum wage. And it would really keep the higher end employees from making what they can make now.
God I remember days like those, Glen. Things have changed so much now though.
β€œThe trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” ~Mark Twain
the-novelty-man
Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:23:09 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Predatorocks

It sounds like the government should get on these carnivals as they aren't abiding by the law.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/ 

Hey Knocker I think its time you should go get a life Predatorocks
Since you have no clue about the biz we are in
The-Novelty-Man
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:15:54 PM
gotta agree with you there, So many of these young bucks only think they know what it's like to be "A CARNY" They have no idea what it was like.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by the-novelty-man

Quote:

quote:

It sounds like the government should get on these carnivals as they aren't abiding by the law.

Hey Knocker I think its time you should go get a life Predatorocks
Since you have no clue about the biz we are in

it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:18:03 PM
its not a knock, but more than a quick jump to a judgement, [ you know talking without thinking...] theres alot of jobs out there that are salary jobs, some get more others get less. I would like to here more on this thread, since we jumped off course, its not everyday that [withit] comes out w/ quality...LOL... [just jokes] anyways good thread in here its been awhile...
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
mommasbeverage barn
Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:30:55 PM
me and the wife [ married on a show 27 plus years ago] have lived thru these issues and many worse, we have spend 3 days in a broke truck with no water side of farm road in middle of west texas with cash but no place to get food or water, we survived a snow storm strained in a closed truck stop for 48 hrs and got cold enough diesal jelled and we lost heat, we drove a murphys truck to lot in middle of night with no power for headlights , tina rode 45 miles with her head and arms out window shining flashlight on white line on side of road so i could get joint on locaation for murphys brothers show in 1982. deleuth minn. was spot we set up just to work 8 days and gross garbage! so yes to all those questions and with 30 plus years in businesswe live by motto: to be a showman the show must always go on!
spider and tina
Slow you down...Turn you around...Send you back the other direction!!!
JustinJames
Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:47:00 PM
Fans are fine. Idiot statements are not fine regardless of who they are spouted by, fan or carney.
skywheel88
Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:09:47 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tre in GA

You know this site was started when Matt was just a fan, way before he got involved in the industry. So were it not for a fan, you wouldnt have this site .
There are plenty of other jobs that have similar situations as well.
But I have had my fill of all this stupidity on here, nice knowin some of you, later....................

Tre, you are right, this site was started by a fan and I hate the fact that some of those who are with-it put down the fans and try to come across as being superior to those who are not. There wouldn't BE any carnivals without those who are fans of them. I am one of THE biggest "fan-boys" on here and I don't know what it's like to work on a show these days, probably ALOT different than when I was travelling. Don't allow anyone on this board make you feel like a second class participant, you are a great person as are alot of the so-called fans, so stick around dude, you do matter.
Kenny.

with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:22:54 PM
You know what is Funny? All the guys that have done it stepped up and said so proudly and nobody has said it is'nt for me or I can't do it...So far only one guy has said he did'nt realize how hard it is on the road (massachusettsman)...

What else do we have so far??? Oh yeah, A guy that wants to turn in Every Carnival to the Dept. of Labor because of there payroll....Of course he don't understand the differance between Hourly and Salrary employees....

I want to see someone answer the questions as they are written...I doubt that will happen....lol

Skywheelrider
Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:52:47 PM
Quote:

quote:

Unfreaking believable. Then again, look who posted it. Another knocker who thinks he has all the answers and will change the face of the business. You ever hear of "salaried employees?" Probably not....maybe you need to look that up and learn something.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Bowler Roller
Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:59:12 PM
Don't forget employees on commission.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:31:50 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Quote:

quote:

Unfreaking believable. Then again, look who posted it. Another knocker who thinks he has all the answers and will change the face of the business. You ever hear of "salaried employees?" Probably not....maybe you need to look that up and learn something.

A Knocker?? No, I wouldn't say that. To me, he looks like a kid who has no idea about the workings of the Business, but thinks he does. Needs to spend some time on the road and see what things are really like. And then give With-It a Full report at the end!! πŸ™‚
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam