Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:55:55 PM
Sometimes you need to toot your own horn and tell us what is going on. I'm joking about the chicken barn but even if that was your position, someone has to do it so whatever you are doing is commendable.

I helped out the Kentucky economy tonight by purchasing a six of BBC Pale ale from KY. Good price at $5.99 and very impressed with it. Get some Mick. Very malting with a good dose of hops. First time I saw it on the shelf.
UserPostedImage
Pizzagod
Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:54:46 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tre in GA

How come you guys always bag on everything? Either we are just fan boys and dont know what we are talking about or we are just trying to make something look better than it is etc etc. Then you guys get on here and complain about how Carnys are percieved and then act like asses. Alot of people read this board and dont post here. You never know who you are being pompous in front of.
People like us are good for the industry and you are going to drive some of us away .
tre

I don't jump on the "You're just a fan" bandwagon, but-no matter how big of a follower of the business you are, you're perspective won't be the same as somebody who depends on these events to put bread on the table.

I really don't see a problem with asking for particulars-like the ride gross, and if people are spending money on games and food or just walking around for the free entertainment-or if they are just giving the kids enough for an armband and then dropping them off for the evening.

None of us know what this year will bring. I just did a one day event (fireworks show) and it ran average-can't judge a darn thing from that, no gate, only seven food trailers, etc. I don't know about anybody else, but if I still had all my hair it would be turning snow white right now.

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Jackpotter
  •  Jackpotter
  • 62.54% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, June 27, 2008 4:59:57 AM
The only problem I see with asking for ride gross is that there seems to be a double standard on this board. There are "certain things" that aren't supposed to be discussed in public, right?

So why would I come on here, disclose a ride gross for a carnival that my fair has a good relationship with, when it might be something they'd rather not have disclosed? Can't you see where I'm coming from?

I think if the show wanted to disclose its ride gross that's fine. But I am not the show owner and telling everyone how much he grossed for the week would be borderline over the limit I think.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, June 27, 2008 6:19:38 AM
Quote:

quote:

How come you guys always bag on everything? Either we are just fan boys and dont know what we are talking about or we are just trying to make something look better than it is etc etc. Then you guys get on here and complain about how Carnys are percieved and then act like asses. Alot of people read this board and dont post here. You never know who you are being pompous in front of.
People like us are good for the industry and you are going to drive some of us away .
tre

If you really want to be Good for the Industry like you claim then do something in it and work from the inside insted of just visiting your local fair once a year and a few shopping centers with a Carnival to take pictures of the Bright Lights and whatnot....Guys like Pinetar and myself ask the hard questions and when we do some guys get thier panties in a bunch and take offence....

Pizzagod said it right :
"I don't jump on the "You're just a fan" bandwagon, but-no matter how big of a follower of the business you are, you're perspective won't be the same as somebody who depends on these events to put bread on the table."

Alot of guys here can't answer the questions we ask...

Here's a good example: I've been in close proximity to the midway there are people standing in front of games and facing the games and playing the games.

People Facing the Games? How many guys seen a Rabbit joint with a bunch of people around the thing looking at the rabbits while maybe one or two people at most are playing? Sure the joint looks busy, but really is'nt. Same goes for a Mirror or Poster Joint. Got people looking at all the Girly Pics but nobody really playing...

Then again the people playing the Games could just be the help gambling away their Draw money....How many of ya done best of 10 for a buck a point when there is nothing going on?

Kinda reminds me of a time when a committee guy thought the rides were busy because there was a line on the Loop-o-Plane...

Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, June 27, 2008 9:51:47 AM
Who asked for grosses, no one does that. All I expect is a crack about being up or down or if the games have action.

Just normal business chatter but that is rare here.
UserPostedImage
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, June 27, 2008 11:58:14 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sue

I visited your fair last year and it is a nice fairgrounds. Kissel had a really great looking show there last year.
Photo album here (all but last 2 shots of Astro Wheel are from this fair in 2007, AstroWheel was photographed in Dickson TN last month)>
http://flickr.com/photos.../sets/72157604380545336/ 
Congrats and keep up the good work.

FYI I love how people who have delusions can't spell it LOL

I never said Brian was doing a bad job...I just tried to show that some of his opinions might be flawed over the joints getting action or not from a insiders standpoint...Looking Busy and being Busy are Totally 2 differant things....

FYI: I never claimed to be a great speller....One thing that does set me apart from all the other bad spellers here is that the words I misspell all have more then five letters most of the tyme.....lol
3genstrong
Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:58:14 AM
WOW! Who would've thought that a positive post about a small county fair being up over previous fairs could turn so ugly? MEOW! But seriously, what you "Fans" have to realize is that our lifestyle,for the most part, is different. And, you don't understand certain things so sometimes your posts are, well, laughable. I don't want to discourage anyone from having interest in our industry, I'm sure it's very fascinating looking in from the outside. But when someone has a negetive response to something you post don't whine about it! That just makes it worse.
Playing games for a living.
JustinJames
Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:55:03 PM
Quote:

quote:

Too late, Lost interest in the industry.

There are some fans that makes the majority of fans look like idiots. Don't get caught up Tre... I for one don't find you to be in the idiot category. Take a breath and relax bro.
bigjlh
Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:36:45 PM
i enjoy your posts and info dont give up yet you posted 1400 times here so that effort speaks for it self dont lose interst in something you enjoy because your info here shows that thnx bigjlh
Jackpotter
  •  Jackpotter
  • 62.54% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:57:42 PM
Well, as an update:

We ended up fighting rain on Thursday and Saturday and were down 300 on the week. Thursday rain hit at about 7:00 and on Saturday a big time storm rolled thru about the time we opened the gate. We still had a decent crowd but the rain really killed our chances of a record. Whoever said it could change quickly was right, and of course I knew that but was trying to hope for the best and remain positive/optimistic.

Games and food were down I don't have exact %'s. Overall gross from gate admissions was down a bit and the shows net will be down due to higher fuel and operating costs.

Maybe we'll get it next year.