skywheel88
Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:08:30 PM
Royal's Octopus, Ron Hamm Photo:

UserPostedImage

And here's the Monster at the Seattle World's Fair in 1962, I like the way it looks with the older metal tubs and yes, it's a five arm[:D]:

UserPostedImage

Kenny.

Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, June 20, 2008 1:26:35 AM
There was a monster sold at Williams Grove Amsuement Park last year. I often wonder with the relationship with that park, Mickey Hughes, and Palisades Park, if that was the same ride that was at both parks. I am not sure where it went now but I think it went for really cheap.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, June 20, 2008 4:39:47 AM
Monster at Lakemont Park in Altoona PA, on front page of their website:
http://www.lakemontparkfun.com/doc/attract.html 
and photo of Williams Groves the last year they were open:
http://flickr.com/photos...n/set-72157600682110072/ 
If Palisades had a monster, I am pretty sure this would be the same one at Williams Grove since Mickey moved the rides from one to the other. It perhaps is the same one that was in Seattle? Anyone know? except WG one looks like more than 5 arms.
Anyone know who bought the one at the WG auction? It looked to be in good shape when I visited the park the last year it was open.
complete photo album here:
http://flickr.com/photos.../sets/72157600682110072/ 
Predatorocks
Friday, June 20, 2008 5:16:58 AM
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, June 20, 2008 6:10:46 AM
I would have to look back at my notes but the Monster at Williams Grove only went for a few thousnad dollars. I think I heard a small show in PA might have purchased it from a rumor I heard.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, June 20, 2008 6:50:38 AM
Interesting....I also wonder why the 8 arm Spiders were discontinued.
My albums are all on Facebook!
cny_chris
Friday, June 20, 2008 7:12:59 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

I would have to look back at my notes but the Monster at Williams Grove only went for a few thousnad dollars. I think I heard a small show in PA might have purchased it from a rumor I heard.

As I recall from the reports, it went cheap. More than likely, though, the show didn't buy it for the ride itself, but for the tubs (and other parts). Plenty of old Monster tubs that have been put on Spiders and Octopi. Strates had a bunch of them for sale within the last couple years, from their old Monster.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
cny_chris
Friday, June 20, 2008 7:15:49 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg

Perhaps due to the similarity to the Octopus? Could have been an engineering issue with the piece as well. Hard to say, unless someone with Eyerly at the time knows the answer, or it was documented in the company records.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Flying Coaster
Friday, June 20, 2008 7:28:17 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg

Perhaps due to the similarity to the Octopus? Could have been an engineering issue with the piece as well. Hard to say, unless someone with Eyerly at the time knows the answer, or it was documented in the company records.

It's probably as simple as the 6 arm units were easier & less expensive to build, easier to move and maintain. It still seats more than an 8 arm Octopus thereby able to gross more as well as much more flash.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, June 20, 2008 2:46:11 PM
then I believe Lakemont has BOTh rides - Octopus & Monster. I know they have or had a Monster as I did a painting of it a few years ago and it is in the managers office:
http://www.5centride.com/images/monster 
The ride sign says MONSTER on it.
Skywheelrider
Friday, June 20, 2008 9:19:15 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Predatorocks

Lakemont has an Octopus. I think that's an Octopus.
http://flickr.com/photos/jamminj/2355768734/ 

Yep, a sixteen tub Octopus. Nice looking one, too. Really nice looking Tilt-A-Whirl in a couple of other shots, same with the Round Up. Interesting looking A.H. Twister as well. Neat looking park, lots of classic pieces.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:48:45 AM
another photo of the Monster at Lakemont from 2006
http://i11.photobucket.c...2006/IMG_0141acrptex.jpg 
BTW, I called the Lakemont office and they confirmed they have BOTH rides. The Monster is near the Skydiver closer to the waterpark entrance and the Octopus is sort of in the center near the Toboggan.
It is a cool old park if you ever get to the area.
Their train is called the "Ponyshoe Curve" which if makes sense if you know about the famous full size Horseshoe Curve of the railroad in the Altoona area.
Flying Coaster
Saturday, June 21, 2008 6:34:19 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sue

another photo of the Monster at Lakemont from 2006
http://i11.photobucket.c...2006/IMG_0141acrptex.jpg 
BTW, I called the Lakemont office and they confirmed they have BOTH rides. The Monster is near the Skydiver closer to the waterpark entrance and the Octopus is sort of in the center near the Toboggan.
It is a cool old park if you ever get to the area.
Their train is called the "Ponyshoe Curve" which if makes sense if you know about the famous full size Horseshoe Curve of the railroad in the Altoona area.

There was a Monster on the midway at the Illinois State Fair in Happy Hollow back in the 70's, (maybe Olsen Shows?) that had a big sign like that mounted on the oscillator.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:19:58 AM
I only recall seeing one portable Monster and that was run by Staph & Steck. Each year they added embellishments; going from a full perimeter painted wood platform to a sharp grand entrance.

They were true showman.
UserPostedImage
Rockowheel
Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:05:55 AM
Yeah I believe that was Staph & Steck's Monster at the Ill. State Fair; remember seeing it both in 1967 and 1968 and it indeed was quite a showpiece with the painted platform, elaborate fencing and entrance. In 1967 I distinctly remember a 16 tub Octopus (whose ride, Olson's?) placed directly NEXT to the Monster which I thought was a bit unusual.
A question, was the "Spelunker" dark ride and Cakewalk slide also Staph & Steck's? Those two were also greatly flashed pieces. I have 8mm movies, will have to dig 'em up....
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

I only recall seeing one portable Monster and that was run by Staph & Steck. Each year they added embellishments; going from a full perimeter painted wood platform to a sharp grand entrance.

They were true showman.