BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:07:13 PM
what is the best oil to use for funnel cakes?
can you filter fry oil and reuse it next spot?
any good tips to cut operating costs this year on oil?
what the ????
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:51:26 PM
Sure, you can filter the oil with something as simple as tapered paper cone filters and a wire frame or if you have a serious operation, you can get an expensive motorized pumping filter system.

I use to buy solid fat for fries because it solidified when cooled, which was best for traveling. Some oils today may be hydrogenated to make them solid, which is bad for the arteries. Examples, margarine.

On the other hand, anyone have tips on dealing with liquid oil for transport?

We took the oil from a small Gold Medal elec. funnel cake unit and drained the oil into a bowl which was submerged in a tray of ice water. Fine for 5 gal. but not for a large commercial unit.

UserPostedImage
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:05:15 PM
MFB is a good frying oil. Its a commercial brand of Wesson. It used to come in metal can, that you could use to dump your oil into. But now, cubes.
mjcarniegirl
Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:46:18 PM
we used to use vegtable oil in the funnel cake i worked in . we would use the big 5 gallon jugs . we would usually save a few empty jugs with the carboard box still around them. the carboard helped keep the oil from melting the jug on tear down nights . we would also ice ours down to help cool it off after we had it turned off for a while . we didn't save our oil to often as usually be the end of a spot the oil was ready to be tossed . I worked at a fast food place that used a machine to filter the fry oil .
Pizzagod
Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:59:12 PM
In my never to be humble opinion...

Peanut oil is very good-but does tend to leave a residue.

Mel-Fry is expensive but you tend to get a longer life.

When I was in another life and working as a fast food manager they told you to look out for CASHW when trying to prolong oil life-and that stood for carbon, air, salt, heat, and water. Meaning you really need to skim regularly, cover the oil when the fryer was not in use, not salt fries over the oil, keep the heat at 350 or 360 (not turn it up to 390 or so because it fried faster) and water. All of these shorten life.

As far as how long you could use it, if it wasn't smoking, and didn't have a bitter taste, it was still good to go.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Benjibear
Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:42:50 AM
Personally I am against using peanut oil because I am highly allergic. If you decide to use peanut oil, make sure you have a sign that says what kind of oil you are using.

A solution for used oil is to use it in your diesel trucks or cars. You can't dump it right in but they sell kits with a tank that can be used for the used frying oil.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:02:22 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pizzagod

In my never to be humble opinion...

Peanut oil is very good-but does tend to leave a residue.

Mel-Fry is expensive but you tend to get a longer life.

When I was in another life and working as a fast food manager they told you to look out for CASHW when trying to prolong oil life-and that stood for carbon, air, salt, heat, and water. Meaning you really need to skim regularly, cover the oil when the fryer was not in use, not salt fries over the oil, keep the heat at 350 or 360 (not turn it up to 390 or so because it fried faster) and water. All of these shorten life.

As far as how long you could use it, if it wasn't smoking, and didn't have a bitter taste, it was still good to go.

If you are frying with peanut oil, shouldn't you post some sort of warning to people that have peanut allergies? I fry my cakes at 375 to 380.

Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:28:17 AM
I use vegetable oil from Sam's in the 5 gallon jugs.

As for transporting, we almost always do one day spots and need to move that night, so we put a small fan on the fryer, and I have a spout on the front of the fryer and drain it into a COKE tank. It will make the tank hot if the oil is very hot, but it has a rubber/plastic handle at the top which will allow you to handle it, and makes it much easier to pour into the fryer the next time you need it.

As for filtering, we skim as much off the top in the fryer, but becouse the spout pours at a slower volume, we put a large tea strainer on top of the coke tank and filter the bottom "JUNK" before it goes into the tank.

One thing I have found out about Mixes, we were using Quality Foods/PFG funnel cake mix at 38.00 per 50lbs bag, then tried Gold Metal mix at 42.00 per 50lbs bag and the Gold Metal mix BLEW the other away!!! Never used anything else since.

Another thing about cooking, NEVER pour mix into the fryer if you've lost your cooking heat! If you wait till it gets back up to the proper cooking temp, you will use more oil and the cakes will taste awful!
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:46:00 AM
Scott we use the sam's oil too.

We drain our oil into 5 gallon metal cans we bought from Generator Joe's. I like your idea of the fan to cool the oil. We have been draining it while it is still hot.

BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:48:55 AM
thanks for all the information. these are all pretty standard practices that i have done for years. thanks. just thought if there was a way to cut the cost besides recycle for diesel. presently , we have both funnels and frys each week so there is a lot of used oil. to get that little bit more will help everyones bottom line in the grease joints.
i have been told recycle it as simple as filter it and dump it in a tractor to the recycle kit deals. we will have to see. i spoke to the flash boys in gibtown already.

what the ????
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:06:30 AM
We use Crystal by Hunt Wesson and it is excellent oil and it will not burn on the cooker so it makes for nice clean ups later also last spring I needed some oil and could'nt get Crystal and got some Bunge from Fair Foods and it worked pretty good also.
Herb
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:31:01 AM
Oil is subjective, you find out what works for you and then deal with the pricing. If is cheap but doesn't do the job, well what good is it.
UserPostedImage
porkchopexpress
Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:59:37 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I use vegetable oil from Sam's in the 5 gallon jugs.

As for transporting, we almost always do one day spots and need to move that night, so we put a small fan on the fryer, and I have a spout on the front of the fryer and drain it into a COKE tank. It will make the tank hot if the oil is very hot, but it has a rubber/plastic handle at the top which will allow you to handle it, and makes it much easier to pour into the fryer the next time you need it.

As for filtering, we skim as much off the top in the fryer, but becouse the spout pours at a slower volume, we put a large tea strainer on top of the coke tank and filter the bottom "JUNK" before it goes into the tank.

One thing I have found out about Mixes, we were using Quality Foods/PFG funnel cake mix at 38.00 per 50lbs bag, then tried Gold Metal mix at 42.00 per 50lbs bag and the Gold Metal mix BLEW the other away!!! Never used anything else since.

Another thing about cooking, NEVER pour mix into the fryer if you've lost your cooking heat! If you wait till it gets back up to the proper cooking temp, you will use more oil and the cakes will taste awful!

That's exactly what I do. I'll drain my oil when it's still 350 degree's and the coke tanks work perfect. I sit them in a milk case to keep them from tipping over
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:25:42 AM
Too bad you guys weren't at the Liberty Land Auction last year, they had a GIANT pallet of clear fry oil up for bid, and though I can't remember what it went for, it was DIRTY cheap!
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:31:02 AM
Too bad you guys weren't at the Liberty Land Auction last year, they had a GIANT pallet of clear fry oil up for bid, and though I can't remember what it went for, it was DIRTY cheap!