Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:22:52 PM
We went to the Florida State Fair today and was surprised at the lack of people but it picked up later on but they did not appear to be buying anything much, I talked to a pizza joint out back and they said that yesterday they made two pizza's in the morning and they still had them at night when they closed and Talked to a pizza joint up front and they said that they had done four pizza's. there is way to many pizza joints and sausage joints, I also heard that 4 or 5 joints have pulled out.
The rent there is $200 a foot and the stock truck is $200 without power and $500 with power and electric is a extra ding for the joint the golf cart permit is $200 and cannot use it after 10 am and the RV parking is $35 dollars a day this year and $45 dollars next year as they are upgrading the power to 50 amps they also said that there is some extra dings and the photo passes around the vendors necks is the first two are free and any more is $25 each also if you have a extra vehicle in the campground area there is a extra charge for that I see sausage prices were a few at $6 and quite a few at $7 and strawberry shortcake was $5 and pizza was mostly $4 and a few at $3 and the Pizza on the stick was $8 I understand that expenses are high but also I did not see many people buying and I see one couple buying one piece of pizza and had the guy cut it in two pieces for them.
I went over to the Gordon Food Service in Clearwater and had sticker shock when I bought the 4 1/2 gallon 35 lb container of cooking oil it has skyrocketed in price so this looks like a tough season with expenses going up and I really don't think we can raise the prices to help cover it as the people will not pay it.
whatever that is just the way I see it and everybody has a differant view.
Herb
Pizzagod
Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:31:56 PM
this will be one of those years that we separate the men from the boys.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:33:45 PM
The folks visiting the stock show were spending, go figure???
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:36:50 PM
Im going to FSF tomorrow, hopefully i can speak of better news, but I think PizzaGod is right on, gonna be an interesting year...

Anyone going to be there tomorrow?
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:39:42 PM
I think this year will be okay but next year is going to be tough and I also heard a rumor that Newmar Kountry aire RV in Nappanee Ind is closed down due to lack of sales and also Travel Supreme the people said they had tried to order a trailer could not order it.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pizzagod

this will be one of those years that we separate the men from the boys.

Herb
Vegas7071
Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:50:05 PM
Most all the vendors that have started into their seasons are down 15-30% from past averages.Most of these vendors have been on the independent side of the shows. I am dropping all my revenue variables 15 % and bumping cost variables 10% and then keeping my fingers crossed.

This will really cut out some of the vendors that are in the thin profit margins and cannot raise prices to cover increasing costs.

It might be a bumpy year
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:04:12 PM
The banker board of directors want to squeeze out every ounce of profit they can. Don't we all. But, eventually, we price ourselves out of the market.

The patrons will remember the high prices and eventually choose to not return to such events.

A friend just put his Browns psl club seat tickets on ebay; value, about $3000 for the season, which is $125 per ticket, the lowest price in the club. He wants to cut back too.

UserPostedImage
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, February 15, 2008 5:33:10 AM
They talk about regulating games at Ohio fairs, maybe it's time they paid closer attention to banking and credit card industry. As explained to me several sub-prime loans were made to people who couldn't get loans through a bank and with nothing down and 'introductory rates people got sucked in. The people who made these loans more than likely told the lendeese that rates would remain the same or they could refinance after a year or so after they moved in. These sellers then bundle hundreds of mortgages and sold them to real banks. Sound like a flat store to you?
Now it is time to pay the piper, no the banks won't pay, nor the lenders, instead they want a bail out for us to pay and at the same time money is so tight we can't pay. Sell more of our debt to China. It's time to look at the ethics in Congress first, then the home loan industry. Right???????????
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
2ndgencarnie
Friday, February 15, 2008 12:01:02 PM
I just got back from an afternoon visit to FSF. I would say that overall it was panning out to be a good day. Although, the joints didn't seem to be winning dollar 1. I never saw a group game running a race, watched a Speed Ball for 25 minutes, never a sole played it. Ballon stores didn't seem to be getting much action and in my opinion the agents didn't seem to have any motivation, it was like the already knew you weren't going to play. The only joint I saw winning any $$ at all was the One-ball, amazing huh?

There was a crap load of wrist bands running around and the rides were running alot of full loads, which I guess can be expected when it's all wristbands. The midway overall was pretty full for much of the day. All the rides were running except for the Crazy Mouse. Everything looked damn good, I was ecspecially impressed with Dreamlands equipment.

I rode the RC-48, that is a hell of a ride. I wasn't aware how fast it was. And much like other people have said it was supirsingly smooth. I can't wait to see it after the do some work to and get it up to there standards, I think that is going to be 1 hell of a piece for them.

It was 85 degrees today so the usual hot weather suspects were winning $$, Lemonade and a Tea joints had lines all afternoon. I talked to a couple of friends who were working for Charlie Cox. They said the 1st weekend was pretty good and they were optimistic about tonight. Although they said the day so far had been slow other than Gatorade sales.
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, February 15, 2008 12:57:07 PM
travel supreme, from my understanding is in bankruptcy, a friend told me they needed warranty work on his bunk house, they told him to pay for what needed to be fixed send them a copy and they'll toss it in the pile and maybee the bank will pay them back... some things are tough out there, just ajust the belt and take it... it's time to clear out the sucker joints anyway...
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
cny_chris
Friday, February 15, 2008 4:22:03 PM
Consider Fried Dough... one of the simplest foods on the midway, and I haven't seen it below $5 so far this season. More rent and dings in that price than there is bonafide edible ingredients.

Hate to say it, but this will prolly be the year that Usedrides.com will be filled with game joints and food trailers. With rent and dings like what the FSF is getting, there will be casualties.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
obol
  •  obol
  • 51.3% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Friday, February 15, 2008 5:35:30 PM
are they getting the fin for the dough?..if so..there wont be anymore casualties then normal
FrankiesFoods
Friday, February 15, 2008 7:49:26 PM
I bought 50# of flour to today at 23.00 a bag. Five dollars is not enough for dough. it use to be that the water was the most expensive item in it but not any more. It is time to buy commodities at the stock exchange my purveyors say that flour will hit 35 a bag in april. wow.
Life is like a Merry go round has it's ups and downs but always come back around.
Pizzagod
Friday, February 15, 2008 8:05:05 PM
I had a deal fall through on my Pizza Trailer last week.

The guy has a wholesale funnel cake operation and said that he got wind that flour would hit $50 a bag this summer and he's so concerned he just backed out.

This is just the tip of the iceberg folks-
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
obol
  •  obol
  • 51.3% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Friday, February 15, 2008 8:39:26 PM
how many doughs you get to the bag?...give me a break.....just make em smaller...charge more for the water and soda pop