with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:50:19 AM
901:9-2-04 Prices.

(1) In no case shall any merchandise be displayed in a game at a fair which is not one of the prizes possible to be won in a single play of the game.

901:9-2-08 Games Rules of Play

(A) Any rules of play issued by the department must be obeyed

(B) In no case shall any concessionaire or agent buy back for cash any prize from a player at a fair, nor shall any combination of prizes, artiicles, tickets, numbers or money be exchanged for other prizes.

Well Boys, it looks like the Party is over for all the Collection Kooks on Ohio Fairs for the most part. However, the law also does in alot of Group Games too....Now for any player to hope to get a decent prize on a Water Race or Derby is for them to be there when there is a Full Tip. No more Familys playing over and over to get all the kids a bigger prize. No more Repeat Business. A good third of Group game money comes from players playing agina to get a better prize. Not no more.

Why you ask the Rule Change? Is it from players getting beat and going to the Office and beefing? Yes, But almost all of those beefs are Squared by the Joint owners and don't go any farther. But the Real Beefs ( the ones that make it to the State Boys ) are from other Concessionaires that b**** and moan to the Inspectors over other Operators. "So and So's Agents are doing this and that" I think thats why the Rules were changed. It's to keep the Inspectors from listening to the Vocal Minority of the Knockers Club....
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:57:16 AM
Of course, none of this applies to cedar Point. You can rip and tear there.
UserPostedImage
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:18:51 PM
Does this apply to all locations, or just to county and the state fairs? Back in the 90s (and earlier) , even the straight sales joints had to be licensed and inspected .
Bowler Roller
Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:29:26 PM
I guess Ohio gets added to the list of "states I'd never play if I go back", along with Illinois.

I hope shows decide to boycott the state. Both states would change their laws in a heartbeat if they couldn't find anyone to play their state fairs.

I've never worked a joint with only one size of stock. Even my long range and pool tables had at least two sizes. Looks like they'll have mostly alibis up, from now on.

Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Terry Ross
Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:37:03 PM
yes i have to admit that there are alot of hardcore knockers in ohio i have never seen so many sucker/owners in my life if u win a few dollars and even if you have guys in the joint that dont rip and tear and u throw 15% or more in stock like i do theres guys who just dont know how to win money and there joints look like there fresh out of the fleamarket.u cant imagine how many jags there are here even some of the concessioners who have nice joints and a have been around u know showfolk or atleast a close faxsimilie wil tell on faster than you can say heybuddy lol. well good luck to you all happy huntin.TROSS
Like your job Love your family Enjoy the small things in life Dont let our business consume your life its not worth it .
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:10:53 PM
Quote:

quote:

(1) In no case shall any merchandise be displayed in a game at a fair which is not one of the prizes possible to be won in a single play of the game.

(B) In no case shall any concessionaire or agent buy back for cash any prize from a player at a fair, [red] nor shall any combination of prizes, artiicles, tickets, numbers or money be exchanged for other prizes.

Still leaves wiggle room. Pricing structure may help.

With-it, have you got a link to the site where the rules are listed?
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
sloughed
Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:57:51 PM
Is'nt there concessionaires from ohio on this group that help make these rules?
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:01:31 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by flamo

Quote:

quote:

(B) In no case shall any concessionaire or agent buy back for cash any prize from a player at a fair, [red] nor shall any combination of prizes, artiicles, tickets, numbers or money be exchanged for other prizes.

Still leaves wiggle room. Pricing structure may help.

Please show me what wiggle room you mean.I must be missing something.

Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.96% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:09:02 PM
Weren't group games banned in Ohio for a while 20 years ago or more?
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:20:03 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by rhino

Does this apply to all locations, or just to county and the state fairs? Back in the 90s (and earlier) , even the straight sales joints had to be licensed and inspected .

Just State Sponsered Fairs.

There was some changes to "Electronic Games" too....Like Claws and stuff like that...Every Wal-Mart has 2 or 3 of them and the State don't care about them....But let them be on Fairgrounds and it's Ding, Ding, Ding.....

Your right Terry about Knockers here in Ohio...There are alot of guys here like myself that run a Clean operation and don't get any beefs and don't knock anyone. Then there are guys that can't win a Nickle if they are the only thing on the Lot and beef and make up stuff and run to the Fairboard or State crying. It even came down from the State to GOSA that all the Complaints against Build Ups were from other Concessionaires. I personally think it has to do more with Personal Grudges then "Doing the Right thing"...Like I said before it's no longer "Us vs. Them" it's "Us vs. Us"

I see nothing wrong with Build ups as long as they are ran Straight up...But you got guys running Collection that have no Business doing so ( Spot Help ) and getting beefs and chilling the Marks for the rest of us....A good agent is gonna get what he can and the mark will leave happy....Unforutnately there is'nt too many of them left...

Enforcement is gonna be a Big Issue. The State guys are there on Opening day during the day usually when the agents are not even in the joints...they'll sign the licences and be on thier way. Talk to any State Guy off the Record and see what they say about the Joints....

Fan boys if you ever want to take pics of joints come to a Ohio Fair on a Monday or Tuesday before 5 and you'll get to see a Million Dollar Line up of joints with maybe 2 or 3 guys holding down the fort...You don't even have to worry about being called in....lol

I think Trade Ups should be allowed within reason...2 of 1 = 1 of next size up to 5 steps. With proper signage.Or even next win gets next size. I think that is even better. Especially for Group games.

I personally don't like the 3 of one gets next it's too confusing and that's where you get problems.

3 Small = 1 Med
3 Med = 1 Lg 9 Small
3 Lg = 1 XL 27 Small
3 XL = Jumbo 81 Small
3 Jumbo = Choice
243 Small

That's close to $500 if they hit every time to win a Big Prize. That's a Hellva average...

Personally I avoid Fairs except for one or two. Mainly because I hate the long hours and the BS that comes with it...I hate seeing the same 4H brats everyday that have no money.

Here's one for GOSA to Work on...How many people come to the County Fairs in Ohio compared to the 2 Major Parks in Ohio ( Kings Island and Cedar Point )? The State Inspects their Rides but leave the Games alone even though they see more people then the Fairs. So it's obvious they get perfered treatment. For what they pay in Licence Fees to the State for rides does the State feel that's enough money from the Parks so they don't worry about the Games there? Is there a agreement between the Parks and the State not to mess with the Games? I think since the Parks just hire kids they feel there won't be any issues about ripping off marks or whatnot....But the Evil Carnies well we got to keep a eye on them and keep them in check....Then again, All the complaints come from Busy Body 40 milers that have no clue what it is to be a Showman or a Carnie...Maybe if they knew how to Frame a joint that wins money they would'nt be so bitter and hatefull.....

Bowler, Ohio is Different than any other State because on the Fairs the Games are Independent. There are plenty of Fairs here in Ohio where the Show only has Rides and there is no Interaction between the Show and the Indys....That's another reason why if you say your "Widdit" in Ohio the help don't know what you mean because they could of worked joints for years and never be "With the Show".
Bowler Roller
Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:38:29 PM
Quote:

quote:

Bowler, Ohio is Different than any other State because on the Fairs the Games are Independent. There are plenty of Fairs here in Ohio where the Show only has Rides and there is no Interaction between the Show and the Indys....

I did not know this.

I always had 6 sizes in my group games, 2 of one size for the next size, and I always proper signage.

In other joints, I'd trade 1-2-3, and I'd let them pay more to start bigger. I didn't want people leaving, just because they won.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
jackpot59102
Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:57:04 PM
Quote:

quote:

It still only applies to games set up at the County & State Fairs

does not appy to still dates, churches, fire depts, etc.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:14:33 PM
Geauga Lake has there own police force, perhaps CP does also.

I hear that there are plenty of vacancies open for games at Ohio fairs. Games are hurting.

Skeeballs were outlwad until 78 or 79 when I bought mine. They had a major meeting in columbus to appease the 40 milers.

The skeeball worked, but stock was outlawed.

We all know they are one armed bandits, no wait, that was Vic Pariano.
UserPostedImage
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:20:16 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by jackpot59102

Quote:

quote:

It still only applies to games set up at the County & State Fairs

does not appy to still dates, churches, fire depts, etc.

Right.

I will say from what I heard GOSA is fighting it. so that's a good thing....The State has no real intrest or ability to enforce any changes in the Laws. As far as I know they have'nt even took in Dollar one in Fines from any joint owner in recent history. So what's the point? If you get caught you might get wrote up...You stand to be punished more from the Fairboard then the State. I know alot of Fairboards are tired of getting Beefs...But once they are patched they don't mind too much...lol

My point about licencing the Theme Parks is based on the number of people that go through there and the fact they they more than likely get Tax breaks from the State/ City/ County....

I would'nt be surprised that the State Actually gives them a Tax Credit to cover their Fees imposed by the State. There are all kinds of Tax incinitives for Businesses thier size.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:31:44 PM
i heard that you cannot renew a ride license if you have an outstanding claim against you.
UserPostedImage