reddotagent
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:30:44 AM
Had a guy a few years back tryed all day to call me and my 11 year old daughter in. I droped all the hints..With It No thanks. Sorry got one of them at home. Even hey buddy you don't want me to take your stock from you..
It was a spot joint. The guy in the center bushels caght on right away.
Well I finally stoped just to shut him up. For two bucks I took his biggest piece. He then wanted to take me out back.lol.
My daughter put up her $5 and on the 3rd try took the next biggest piece.
She asked if he wanted to meet her out back too.
We walked them pieces all over the county fair grounds. About 5 hours.
Then at the end of the night I walked by to see if he wanted them back..He said no he couldn't belive all the play he got off of that.
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:42:16 AM
I would have to say i agree with Glenn that Ohio doesn't really have many agents left(possibly because he stole them all for his own gain...lol) So it's not a huge problem but I always get p***ed off at the OSF when i repeatedly tell someone I'm with it and the still try to demo the joint. I got fed up with a guy a few years back and gave in, played his bank-a-ball beat the joint then walked away, got about 30 foot from the joint and was confronted by another"agent" wanting to beef with me over playing the joint, i explained what happend,gave him the stock back and went on my merry way. Later that same day i walked back past and I was shocked when he atempted to call me in again, i Nearly lost my cool with the guy. I mean i have the carnie power symbol tattoed on my arm along with r-keys on both sides of my leg with the phrase "with-it, for-it" above one and "Love it, Live it" around the other and not to mention a carousel horse in between those tattoo's.

My dad owned his own show but he never owned his own food. If he wanted a Lemonade he would send someone over to the joint to get it for him because he insisted on paying. Like has been said before a discount is a courtesy and/or a favor that will be re-paid in some way shape or form.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:14:23 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

I would have to say i agree with Glenn that Ohio doesn't really have many agents left(possibly because he stole them all for his own gain...lol) So it's not a huge problem but I always get p***ed off at the OSF when i repeatedly tell someone I'm with it and the still try to demo the joint. I got fed up with a guy a few years back and gave in, played his bank-a-ball beat the joint then walked away, got about 30 foot from the joint and was confronted by another"agent" wanting to beef with me over playing the joint, i explained what happend,gave him the stock back and went on my merry way. Later that same day i walked back past and I was shocked when he atempted to call me in again, i Nearly lost my cool with the guy. I mean i have the carnie power symbol tattoed on my arm along with r-keys on both sides of my leg with the phrase "with-it, for-it" above one and "Love it, Live it" around the other and not to mention a carousel horse in between those tattoo's.

My dad owned his own show but he never owned his own food. If he wanted a Lemonade he would send someone over to the joint to get it for him because he insisted on paying. Like has been said before a discount is a courtesy and/or a favor that will be re-paid in some way shape or form.

I bet you even had your Show Shirt on too.....BTW I was cleaning out the Shed and found DD show hat the other day.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:29:49 AM
The term "With it" doesn't have meaning any more unless you are old like me. Professional Courtesy doesn't exist anywhere or if it does its rare. Even sucker jobs have lost it. The reason is simple, no personal pride. Two spots I hit every year are the Stock show and the TSF. Everybody knows me at the stock shown but the state fair is a different story. One of the agents there told the clerk next to him who I was and the clerk still wanted me to give him 3 bucks and play.

The unwritten code of the midway is no longer there and I'm afraid lost forever. As is with everything else, it's cutthroat and anything goes. You no longer earn anything, you are entitled to it.

I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:33:48 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

I bet you even had your Show Shirt on too.....BTW I was cleaning out the Shed and found DD show hat the other day.

Ya it's a good bet that i was wearing a show shirt of some kind.

Nice find on the hat though, support it proudly.
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:17:34 AM
the j.c.l. working games and asking how does your game work makes me sick. as for discounts at food joints i never ask for one , except bottle water i usally buy for the whole joint ( 5 waters at a time )a buck is ok with me.if a guy is selling lots of 2 dollar waters to the public its is up to him if he wants to discount or not.when i had a grab joint i always gave a discount and credit to all showpeople ,i got beat a few times but mostly everybody paid their tab.
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:23:56 AM
2nd gen
Quote:

I mean i have the carnie power symbol tattoed on my arm along with r-keys on both sides of my leg with the phrase "with-it, for-it" above one and "Love it, Live it" around the other and not to mention a carousel horse in between those tattoo's./quote]

You just assumed he was looking at your legs but he was really checking out your azz.[;)]

UserPostedImage
cny_chris
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:51:38 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by flamo

The term "With it" doesn't have meaning any more unless you are old like me. Professional Courtesy doesn't exist anywhere or if it does its rare. Even sucker jobs have lost it. The reason is simple, no personal pride. Two spots I hit every year are the Stock show and the TSF. Everybody knows me at the stock shown but the state fair is a different story. One of the agents there told the clerk next to him who I was and the clerk still wanted me to give him 3 bucks and play.

The unwritten code of the midway is no longer there and I'm afraid lost forever. As is with everything else, it's cutthroat and anything goes. You no longer earn anything, you are entitled to it.

Not only that, Flamo, but there is a large segment of society today that has the belief that it's all about them. Me, me, me... and the heck with everyone else. Too many people out there who were spoiled by their parents, never disciplined, never taught good and proper manners, never taught respect for their elders.

Respect and common courtesy goes a long way. Give a little, take a little, and look out for the other guy. Call it a modern take on the Golden Rule, if you want.

While I haven't been out there on the road, I'm as for-it as I can be for this great business. I don't ask for any courtesies on the lot, but out of respect, when offered, I sometimes accept them. Most of the time, I do an honest report on the spot here, and in the past have shared pictures here as well. Behind the scenes, I get plenty of requests for photos from the folks I visit on the lots, and I'm more than willing to share, as my time allows. Hopefully 2008 will allow me to share more here from my lot visits.

Depending on the lot, I sometimes get called in, and other times I get a friendly nod or some small talk that is obviously not a pitch. When I'm on the lot, I act confident, like I belong, and most times I don't get bothered. I have no problem with an agent/clerk interrupting our conversation to call someone in. They're doing their job.

I wouldn't say that the code of the midway is dead yet, but it's certainly a shadow of its former self. The tight times that we are in are all the more reason to follow it. While most will likely not make big bucks, there's plenty enough for everyone to live on and stay in business until happy days come again.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
petekoloz
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:09:22 AM
There are still a few out there who are "wittit".
The rest are just "half-wittit".

This theory is borne out by the policy of the show office:

"If we don't get a good gross due to a lack of crowds,no matter.
We'll make it up on trailer rent,show shirts and IDs."

Mr Barnum,you really must think there is a sucker born every minute.
What are you gonna do when you've run off all the independents?
Oh,that's right.You already did!
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:36:24 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

2nd gen
Quote:

I mean i have the carnie power symbol tattoed on my arm along with r-keys on both sides of my leg with the phrase "with-it, for-it" above one and "Love it, Live it" around the other and not to mention a carousel horse in between those tattoo's./quote]

You just assumed he was looking at your legs but he was really checking out your azz.[;)]

as individuals they are weak but as the whole package they are...fizine[8D]
Bowler Roller
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:46:28 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pizzagod

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bowler Roller

I used to hang an R-Key from my belt loop, and few called me in. Noawadays, I don't see anyone calling marks.

Carnies have a particular lot walk. We're easy to tell apart.

You mean our heads are down because so many marks drop money?

[:D]

That, and we know where we're going. We have a purposeful, faster walk. If it's a good spot, we also have a little bounce in that walk.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Pizzagod
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:29:44 AM
I never really got it until I broke down on the road on my way to a spot I was playing with CVS-I"m stranded, no cell phone (hell, back then?) and another showman, somebody I didn't know from the man in the moon, stopped, took his time with me, and got me patched up enough to make the spot.

I've played it forward ever since, and I don't sweat it. Like I said, you never know when you'll be the one who needs a hand.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:38:47 AM
In 2004 I was pulling a load to Florida when i had a blow out (1 of 3 on this trip) just south of Lexington. I got it into a rest area. I had everything I needed to get back out on the road, except for a jack. I sat there by myself for about 3 hours watching people pull in and out but no one would help me at all, not even the truckers where to interested, A man, who I to this day only know as "Big Bob" pulled in pulling a pizza trailer. Not only did he have a jack but he stayed and helped me change it. I offered him money, even to stop at the next truck stop so i could buy him dinner. He said "the only thing i want from you is top stop and help me next time". Ever since then i never fly by another carnie on the side of the road without at least asking if I can help.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:46:27 AM
Good story Nick.

I cannot stand getting "free" food from the joints. I like to pay, my feeling is they have to pay for the stock and pay the help. I don't mind a discount, and I ALWAYS have money out and showing ready to pay. On second unit Cynnimin tells her people that the show office folks don't get charged for ANYTHING. So quite a few times I would give a ticket seller a few bucks to go and buy me a slice of pizza or a sandwhich or get a soda, and I would usually give them a couple bucks and say get yourself a soda or water too, that way I paid for the item(s) one way or another. A free soda or water now and again is alright I guess, but I like to pay for my food. QUite a few times I have bypassed show trailers for indys just for that reason.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:46:13 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Good story Nick.

I cannot stand getting "free" food from the joints. I like to pay, my feeling is they have to pay for the stock and pay the help. I don't mind a discount, and I ALWAYS have money out and showing ready to pay. On second unit Cynnimin tells her people that the show office folks don't get charged for ANYTHING. So quite a few times I would give a ticket seller a few bucks to go and buy me a slice of pizza or a sandwhich or get a soda, and I would usually give them a couple bucks and say get yourself a soda or water too, that way I paid for the item(s) one way or another. A free soda or water now and again is alright I guess, but I like to pay for my food. QUite a few times I have bypassed show trailers for indys just for that reason.

You would usually give them money to get themselves something too if you sent them....My rule is "I'll But if you Fly" that's if I am the one to send you...If you ask me do I want something and your on the way that Rule don't apply....

I'm like you Chris, I'll have the Money out and ready to pay even if I know I'm gonna be Comped....If they don't take it I'll usually hide a Buck or two under something like the Napkin holder or whatever is one the counter...

I will tell ya a good way to get Free Sodas at Gas Stations....Buy Lots of Gas and pay Cash....Then crack to the Cashier that you should atleast get a Free Pop for $100 in Gas....9 times out of 10 that has worked...It has to be a Fountain pop though....Another thing is eat the Hot dog while your waiting in line....lol