johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, December 2, 2007 10:41:47 PM
The other forums I look at will give you the first few lines of a post if you put your pointer over it. Is this a different program for forums, or an upgrade? It's handy to see where something starts to know whether to click or not to click, that is the question.
Mr. Fixit
Monday, December 3, 2007 7:07:40 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by johnroach100

The other forums I look at will give you the first few lines of a post if you put your pointer over it. Is this a different program for forums, or an upgrade? It's handy to see where something starts to know whether to click or not to click, that is the question.



That is a different forum program. Not sure if there is a mod to do that in Snitz, or not.
CAUTION, Administrator at work. This is a troll-free zone.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
The Dude
Monday, December 31, 2007 8:12:09 PM
Yes that is Vbulletin [:)]

Would be nice getitng some $$$ together and purchasing a VBB license..

One of The BEST out there!
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:35:23 AM
I have no problems with this one.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
squirrel
Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:04:39 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by The Dude

Yes that is Vbulletin [:)]

Would be nice getitng some $$$ together and purchasing a VBB license..

One of The BEST out there!



VBB runs on a *nix system requiring PHP and mySQL server. Not to mention a money issue... This site runs on MS servers using ASP/.NET, etc. To move to VBB requires a completely seperate server... Not only that, there are no conversions, so kiss the old messages goodbye if you wanted to change software...
Webmonster
Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:43:07 PM
I have a VB license That I would Donate to Carnival Warehouse. If this site Was to switch to PHP I also have CMS software.

As far as converting this database to MYSQL, I just might be able to.

I'd rather not Discuss all my secrets =)

Worst case I can grab members, not any posts.

This software is out of date.

Later,
G
squirrel
Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:58:16 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Webmonster

I have a VB license That I would Donate to Carnival Warehouse. If this site Was to switch to PHP I also have CMS software.

As far as converting this database to MYSQL, I just might be able to.

I'd rather not Discuss all my secrets =)

Worst case I can grab members, not any posts.

This software is out of date.

Later,
G



The software IS up to date, including all the patches released from the vendor, and it has been extensively modded as well. As for the CMS, good luck getting Matt to change -- he doesn't believe in those --
The only difference between this and vBulletin is the user interface -- the functionality is completely the same... Not to mention that vBulletin is about 60% heavier on a server than this software is, and with the traffic this site generates, you'd be looking at a seperate server strictly for the forums, which isn't in the budget...

Now if you were willing to host it on your servers, you might convince Matt to change, but I doubt it...

Webmonster
Friday, February 15, 2008 4:43:54 PM
This site averages 2k-6k Not that bad.

As far as CMS if you have it programed and Skined correctly it will only make life easier.

This Community needs something new, How about a Modern skin?
squirrel
Friday, February 15, 2008 9:09:35 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Webmonster

This site averages 2k-6k Not that bad.

As far as CMS if you have it programed and Skined correctly it will only make life easier.

This Community needs something new, How about a Modern skin?



Curious where you get 2k to 6k from? Since when did you see our stats logs last? IF you're talking about the counters at the bottom of the screen on the forum, that's reset every 6 hours along with the application pool that controls the site. Either way, we do more than 1.5 million general server hits a month with well over a million pages served on a monthly basis (that's a low count from the server logs)...

Maybe I take some offense to your comment about this site needing a modern skin due to the fact that I designed it...

I'll tell you what tho -- you get with Matt, because it's his call. But if you can convince him to change software, and convince these members to go for the change, then more power to ya and I'll hand over the keys to the master forum admin account. That's just one less thing I'll have to worry about in my day to day... But I'm not about to be responsible for this forum software if someone else besides me is going to be poking around in it's code, so I hope you're willing to take on the extra responsibility that comes with your suggestions...
squirrel
Friday, February 15, 2008 9:11:04 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by johnroach100

The other forums I look at will give you the first few lines of a post if you put your pointer over it. Is this a different program for forums, or an upgrade? It's handy to see where something starts to know whether to click or not to click, that is the question.


That is a feature that wouldn't be hard to add into this code (it would be able to preview basically the first post in the thread if that's what you're looking for.
Webmonster
Monday, February 18, 2008 3:14:11 PM

Quote:

quote:



Curious where you get 2k to 6k from? Since when did you see our stats logs last? IF you're talking about the counters at the bottom of the screen on the forum, that's reset every 6 hours along with the application pool that controls the site. Either way, we do more than 1.5 million general server hits a month with well over a million pages served on a monthly basis (that's a low count from the server logs)...



http://siteanalytics.com...warehouse.com/?metric=uv 


Webmonster
Monday, February 18, 2008 3:26:16 PM
Quote:

quote:



I'll tell you what tho -- you get with Matt, because it's his call. But if you can convince him to change software, and convince these members to go for the change, then more power to ya and I'll hand over the keys to the master forum admin account. That's just one less thing I'll have to worry about in my day to day... But I'm not about to be responsible for this forum software if someone else besides me is going to be poking around in it's code, so I hope you're willing to take on the extra responsibility that comes with your suggestions...



I shouldn't have to convince anyone, I was just trying to make a donation and a suggestion.

Converting Snitz is VB is a pain staking process but not impossible.

There is nothing wrong with the skin, Just could use a new touch.

Sounds like your unhappy with this job 😉
cny_chris
Monday, February 18, 2008 4:10:19 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Webmonster


Quote:

quote:



Curious where you get 2k to 6k from? Since when did you see our stats logs last? IF you're talking about the counters at the bottom of the screen on the forum, that's reset every 6 hours along with the application pool that controls the site. Either way, we do more than 1.5 million general server hits a month with well over a million pages served on a monthly basis (that's a low count from the server logs)...



http://siteanalytics.com...warehouse.com/?metric=uv 






I found this note on the linked site to explain a lot:

Quote:

quote:


We have little data for carnivalwarehouse.com, so these are rough estimates.



Rough estimates are no substitute for actual numbers.

Hate to rain on your parade, but to suddenly show up at this site, have a profile that is essentially anonymous, propose some major changes, and not participate in the active, on-topic discussions, one has to wonder what your motive is.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Webmonster
Monday, February 18, 2008 4:52:21 PM
I'm a Supplier and Builder of the Dark Ride industry. I wish to remain anonymous.

I'm currently a lurker. I've been visiting this site for years, I just see a lot more potential on creative side. I have created many successful websites in the past. I just felt that I'd share my opinion with the community. I had a VB license and I though it would be nice to donate it after I saw this post.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, just sharing some creative input.
squirrel
Monday, February 18, 2008 6:34:11 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Webmonster


Quote:

quote:



Curious where you get 2k to 6k from? Since when did you see our stats logs last? IF you're talking about the counters at the bottom of the screen on the forum, that's reset every 6 hours along with the application pool that controls the site. Either way, we do more than 1.5 million general server hits a month with well over a million pages served on a monthly basis (that's a low count from the server logs)...



http://siteanalytics.com...warehouse.com/?metric=uv 




Those sites only report traffic based tracking code. We do not have any analytics tracking code installed here -- our servers have internal logs and stats provider. To say the least, those numbers are WAY off...