Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, November 19, 2007 3:07:45 PM
This was something I probably knew but I thought I would share it with the group. There was a picture of a Strates passenger car in June of 1972 caught in the flood waters of hurricane Agnes in Wilkes-Barre, PA of a book I was just looking through.
I was wondering was the entire train/show caught in the flood. How much damage was done? Where was the show moving from/to? Does anyone else have any other information to share?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
swooper
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:44:31 PM
as i remember the train got hit but the show was high and dry.
back 40 should know for sure.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:14:58 PM
The show was playing near the mall at Wilkes-Barre (I forget the name) and was high & dry. The train was under water & had to be repaired before it could be moved. All the coaches were washed out with borrowed fire hoses and the generator was dried out & reused. The water came up to the top bunk in most of the coaches & the smell never left all season!
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:08:35 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RRSHOW1

The show was playing near the mall at Wilkes-Barre (I forget the name) and was high & dry. The train was under water & had to be repaired before it could be moved. All the coaches were washed out with borrowed fire hoses and the generator was dried out & reused. The water came up to the top bunk in most of the coaches & the smell never left all season!

The Wyoming Valley Mall is in Wilkes-Barre township and located high above flood stage. The mall was open in 1971 so Strates may have been the first show to play the mall. Do you know if it was a still date and where were they the previous and next spot?

I can imagine the smell. My parents say it was aweful.

I heard that because of the flood Strates scraped all the cars that were in the flood and purchased replacements.
cny_chris
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:24:56 AM
As I recall from the taped narration at the Train Exhibit at the NY State Fairgrounds, the Strates family's train car (an old Pullman sleeper) was donated to the local NRHS chapter the same year as the flood. It was restored, and you can now walk through it during the run of the fair.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:09:32 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

As I recall from the taped narration at the Train Exhibit at the NY State Fairgrounds, the Strates family's train car (an old Pullman sleeper) was donated to the local NRHS chapter the same year as the flood. It was restored, and you can now walk through it during the run of the fair.

I think that was the only remaining car that was saved after the 1972 season. I think the others were scraped.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:12:43 AM
The old cars were used all 1972 season with the exception of car 2. In Hamburg we took delivery of 5 or 6 Erie-Lackawanna cars & added them to the train. They were carried but not used until the 1973 season. The older cars were used in WQ until sometime in December-Janurary of 72-73. While I was home for the holidays, all the old cars except #14,#7, & #5 were sent out for scrapping. After the show left WQ in the spring, these cars were scrapped, also. I have pix of them in one of my pix collections.
Trucker090
Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:56:57 PM
It would be nice to see the pictures of the cars!! If you find them please post..
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com