Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, November 7, 2007 6:26:41 AM
Does anyone know how long they were on the road and how big of a show were they?
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, November 9, 2007 6:14:50 PM
Thanks for the info Tre! I was looking through an old AB mag and saw an ad!
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, November 9, 2007 7:23:11 PM
Reithoffer Shows has the Racing coaster that came from Nova,
Wade did get the Hit In 2000,
Amusements of America got the Wave Swinger.

If I can remember any of the other ones I will post them. My father was at the auction, maybe he can remember who got what.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
jb
  •  jb
  • 51.84% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Friday, November 9, 2007 7:31:09 PM
Before they were Nova, they were National Expositions, and before that they were Kenn Penn Expos out of New Kingsington Pa. They had 2 units some of the time. Show was headed by Ron Sanders..and I believe Hal Churns was involved. They played our fair for one year (Russell Springs Ky) in the mid to late 70s. I remember they also had a unit playing Pennsylvania at the same time. Their two big spots (if I remember right) were Butler Pa and Canfield Ohio. When they were here, they had the Bayern Curve, a large F & B Dogem, Tempest, a booked-in AH Twister..and a rim-drive trooper (which caught fire over the jump in) I cant remember what else they had..but as I remember..was about 15-20 pieces..which was short of the contract.. Hope this helps..
Skywheelrider
Friday, November 9, 2007 8:21:51 PM
Carnival Magazine had a piece on them a couple, maybe three, years ago or so. They also had a nice looking Sky Wheel, which I believe went to Reithoffer, who have since sold it. The magazine had some nice full colour photos of the show, looked like a nice show.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:17:07 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by jb

Their two big spots (if I remember right) were Butler Pa and Canfield Ohio.

don't forget the west virginia state fair.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
mgr man
Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:55:57 PM
don't forget wayne co fair,wooster,ohio,ashland co fair,ohio,saxonburg,pa firemens fair
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, November 11, 2007 3:19:56 PM
Scrambler went for $7000, Hit in 2000 for $80,000. A MGR went for $30k or so, A Super-Jet Double kid ride went for $28k. Sanders private LQ went for $7k, the Goforth Skyliner went for $7k, F&B Skooter went for $12k. Racing went for around $24k as did the Bayern Curve. Skywheel, Saturn 6, and a 250kw Generator were in West Va as hostage for money owed there. Big R bought them next spring.
Skywheelrider
Monday, November 12, 2007 8:17:38 PM
$80,000 for the Hit, eh? Huh, not bad at all for a spectacular ride like that, even in 1990. Still running strong, played a few spots this past season, including Raleigh.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:44:02 PM
i thnik the hit in 2000 came to Plant city after tampa too. Nice ride.
Bob

Mountaineer
Friday, November 23, 2007 6:06:07 PM
My wife and I had a food joint with NOVA when they were called NEI. They played lots of dates in PA early in the season in and around Pittsburgh. They would have a unit in WV also early in the season which played clarksburg and Fairmont and places south. They were called NEI in between being National Expostions and NOVA. They were Kenn Penn Amusements when they first got the State Fair of WV.

Ralph and Olga Sanders were the owners, and they knew how to flash a midway to make money. Ralph's son Ron took over the show later and things did not seem to work as well for him. I think Ron passed away a few years ago, as did one of his children-so I am told.

The Skywheel was a beauty, but for some reason on their last trip to the State Fair of WV they lost the ride, or did not move it from the area for some time (It set at a trucker's lot for some time). The Wave Swinger, my favorite on their show, was a showpiece, as was the Hit in 2000. I remember the Racer and the Bayern Curve along with Zipper and other such rides. They always booked in a lot of things near the end. I know they played at one time WV State Fair, Canfield, Uniontown, and lots of small fairs in WV and PA.

Ralph and Olga were good folks to work with on a lot. They certainly knew how to charge you, but you made money with them. We were green, and they saw that we had good spots. Their advice was always good.

I will look for some pics from back then. I am sure that I have some in a box somewhere.
bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, November 23, 2007 7:21:58 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Mountaineer

I will look for some pics from back then. I am sure that I have some in a box somewhere.

Please do i would love to see them
Bob

Jackpotter
Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:09:41 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by jb

Before they were Nova, they were National Expositions, and before that they were Kenn Penn Expos out of New Kingsington Pa. They had 2 units some of the time. Show was headed by Ron Sanders..and I believe Hal Churns was involved. They played our fair for one year (Russell Springs Ky) in the mid to late 70s. I remember they also had a unit playing Pennsylvania at the same time. Their two big spots (if I remember right) were Butler Pa and Canfield Ohio. When they were here, they had the Bayern Curve, a large F & B Dogem, Tempest, a booked-in AH Twister..and a rim-drive trooper (which caught fire over the jump in) I cant remember what else they had..but as I remember..was about 15-20 pieces..which was short of the contract.. Hope this helps..

I remember that year. It was about 1977-78. I was just a kid but remember thinking how incredible it was to see a ride the size of the Bayern Curve at that spot. But you're right, they only had like 15-16 pieces. Didn't Myers get the contract the next year for what would be a multi year run until Belle City took it the first time, followed by Gregory, then Myers and now Belle City?

This fair seems to change shows a lot...is there a specific reason?
dg9699
Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:50:51 AM
I am going to guess that Ralph and Olga Sanders started Ken-Penn Amusements in the mid to late 40's. They carried around 18-20 rides that divided into 2 units in the 60's. Both units combined to play my home town 4th of July carnival for a couple of years. Although they had alibis, and side and grind shows, there were never Girl Shows anywhere I ever saw or played with them. An old 2 semi King Bumper Cars was a favorite with my friends back then. 2 #12 wheels, tilt, super Roll-O-Plane, scrambler, Frolic, paratrooper, bubble bounce, saturn 6 all were pretty standard back then. They began to grow when the West Va. State Fair was added due to the demise of Cetlin and Wilson Shows. At that time the Sky Wheel and a Goforth Sky Liner gave them the big show look. An Allan Herschell 3 abreast merry go round fronted one unit while an old C.W. Parker 2 abreast beauty fronted the other. The Parker was hauled in an open top slatted semi. All trailers in those days were painted yellow on the top and green on the bottom. Some were lettered and advertised the kiddie matinee on Sat. Tractors were green and they were one of the first shows to use a trucking company to move the show. In later years, they formed their own trucking co. which moved regular loads thru the week. This was called the MRK Corp., named after Ronnie's kids. A very bad experience in Venzuela cost them a ton and lots of equipment in the early 70's. Then the title was National Expositions. Nova came later and with the addition of many spectacular rides and possibly some new partners they played the east coast as well as several dates in Ohio with Canfield on Labor Day the biggest. It was a very friendly show to be on and always had a nice general appearance. Several smaller shows sprouted from Ken-Penn Amusements.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:53:44 AM
KenPenn as I knew it had 2 #12 wheels. Al Sunny got a call wanting to know if I could TM the wheels as the only ones to that time were #5s. I opened my big mouth and said no problem basing my answer on knowledge of the difference between 12s and 5s. They sent the first wheel and half way through the TM process thier second wheel was blown over. Al had them send the second wheel and with a few parts from Eli Bridge, a few spokes and rim irons, I got both on trailers. Those were the only two 12s that were TMed based on the Texas conversion. Late 60s early 70s was about the time line. Both wheels had double folding stars for lighting. The paint scheme was a white circle, light blue structure and light grey deck. I can't remember if they were gas or electric.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked