skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 4:02:16 PM
As in, do you prefer or rather have the flashing turbo lights that rides produce nice light shows like now days on midways at night time?, or would some rather have it like it was in the 60's & 70's, with flourescent light tubing, solid white lights like on the Sky Diver's sweeps, and the old timey lightbulbs like still found on some Loop-o-Planes now days? It's hard to say which i like best, the new turbo lights give the rides more action & attract folks more so, so my fav. would be the new turbo lights, although the old style lightbulbs and flourescent tube lights like in the good 'ol days, those are nice to look at, at night too. [:o)] They've come a long way since those days in wiring up & lighting of amusement rides now days.

~Ben
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:15:23 PM
As an old timer I prefer the 25 watt bubs and flouresant tubes. It gave the aatmosphere most midways are missing today. Turbo lites and the like belong in a disco.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
2ndgencarnie
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:37:37 PM
old skool for sure... too many turbos give me a headache.
Flying Coaster
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:58:58 PM
Flourescent Tubes, lots & lots of them, with Allis Chalmers engines cranking away everywhere.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
JustinJames
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:47:30 PM
Old school all the way. NOTHING brighter than a SKYWHEEL lit in all flourescent towering over the midway
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:52:39 PM
There's nothing like that green glow in the night sky from a Skywheel. No turbo lit ride can match that.

Oh, and put a set of light towers down the center of the midway too. Who still does that?

Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:54:20 PM
I always liked the flourescents on like the Spider, Deluxe Scrambler, & of course the Sky Wheel. Turbos aren't very bright & you just about have to have flood lights around to keep the midway from being dark.
My albums are all on Facebook!
JustinJames
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 7:06:58 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bill P

Oh, and put a set of light towers down the center of the midway too. Who still does that?

We still do. Our generators have light towers that telescope.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 8:55:23 PM
Just a bunch of 25 watt, rough service incandescent bubs on a pin socket stringer.
UserPostedImage
Matt C.
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 8:57:11 PM
Personally, I think different rides warrant different style lighting. A few examples:

Sky Wheel - Fluorescents
Tilt - Fluorescents
Yo Yo - Fluorescents on sweeps, turbos on banjos
Himalaya - Turbos
Zamperla Kiddy rides - Turbos
Sizzler - Turbos
Ring of Fire - Turbos
Giant Wheel/Century - Turbos
Zipper - Turbos (although the old style Zippers with the fluorescents are cool)

Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:58:06 AM
I prefer the older style lighting. RAS was the best. [8D]
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:27:06 AM
JustinJames
Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:13:43 AM
Always liked the incadescents on the Himi's and Bobs
Trucker090
Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:43:07 AM
Old school lighting always impressed me as long as it was all working.
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:55:42 AM
Who remembers Joints with no awning lightd, no flags, no flouresent lites and had 100 to 150 watt clear bubs on a pin socket stringer. That was class lighting.

Come to think of I still remember the old zig zag tilt lites, pin socket stringers on the wheel and chairoplane, home made light towers with pennants going from the corners of everything to the tower forming a big umbrella. Damn those were good days............

Did you ever use and apple stick to bend up the tabs in the sockets to get the bub to lite?

For tear down lites we used the ticket box top stood on end with a couple of 100 watt bubs, if you were lucky you had a bub or two in the trailer.

Coleman used 25 watt clear bubs on thier twin wheels, circle and star both. That was an awesome site.

I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked