Himalaya Man
Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:35:16 PM
I have recently noticed that certain rides now have some kind of voice-over device in the control booths instead of using a microphone. At an amusement park that I go to every weekend during the summer had the voice-over machine on their KMG Freak Out ride, but at a fair that I went to a few months ago had one of those devices on an Alpine Bobs which personally didn't set well with me.

Having one of those devices on certain rides like Freak Out of maybe a Pirate is one thing, but on a music-type ride?...COME ON!!!! Doesen't anyone like talking on the mike anymore? When I'm visiting a Himalaya, Flying Bobs, or any type of music ride, one of the main things that I enjoy besides the speed of the ride, or a great light show with siren, is listening to a good mikeman. I've done it a few times on a Himalaya before and I loved it. And a good friend of mine used to back when he used to travel. Now don't get me wrong, I know there are some guys out there that still talk on the mike on those type of rides and know what I'm talking about. Tell me what you think.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:42:22 PM
Audio Innovaters sells them. We have them on a few rides, it is quickly becoming standard equipment on many rides, many shows have them. We still have a mic man on our Reverchon Himalaya, off and on on the Orbiter, the Wisdom Himalaya (most of the time), the Alpine Bobs uses the voice box though. Sometimes the voice box is used on the Twister as well.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Rori
  •  Rori
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help
Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:54:12 PM
A live person who can connect with the crowd will draw in more people than any voice over machine.[:o)]
SaraAB
Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:59:28 PM
The himalaya/music ride is an entirely different experience when you have a real human talking into the mic vs a machine talking.
cny_chris
Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:06:19 PM
Unfortunately, if the ride crew is Mexican, and can only speak broken English, one of Dale's boxes is about the only way to make sure that the necessary safety instructions can be given to the riders. The box will never do a good enough job to completely replace a mic man, though. Put a good, real, live mic man on a ride, and watch the crowd build, and the line get longer.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Himalaya Man
Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:07:33 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by Rori

A live person who can connect with the crowd will draw in more people than any voice over machine.[:o)]

THANK YOU, THANK,YOU, THANK YOU!! That was the answer I was looking for!
Himalaya Man
Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:12:10 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Unfortunately, if the ride crew is Mexican, and can only speak broken English, one of Dale's boxes is about the only way to make sure that the necessary safety instructions can be given to the riders. The box will never do a good enough job to completely replace a mic man, though. Put a good, real, live mic man on a ride, and watch the crowd build, and the line get longer.

Yeah, you do have a point there. If they can't speak alot of english, the voice machine does become a good thing after all.
Discjo
Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:14:11 PM
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:30:14 PM
Those Voice-Overs from Audio Innovators have come a long ways over the years. I have yet to personally play with it on the Himalaya, but the owners were quite pleased with its workings, and many different sayings provided.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:42:21 PM
They serve a purpose. Personally, I don't like them. Maybe if I could change some of the calls, fine tune them a little. They're great for the lazy man or someone that can't use a mike.
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
Matt C.
Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:45:01 PM
I think its a great idea for a scooter or go carts, but on a music ride the DJ in the box is what sets the mood and gets the crowd going.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:50:59 PM
Kissel Bros. has one on thier Music Express....It Sounds like Ben Stein....

UserPostedImage

Anyone? Anyone?
skywheel88
Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:12:48 PM
I remember they had a recorded voice over on the Holiday Bounce on Conklin in the early 80's. Worked okay for that ride, but that would suck on a Music Ride.
Kenny.

Trucker090
Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:48:52 PM
Pinetar is selling them!!! Get in line and order early!!
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
Show Driver
Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:58:44 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by 42WLA

They serve a purpose. Personally, I don't like them. Maybe if I could change some of the calls, fine tune them a little. They're great for the lazy man or someone that can't use a mike.

Do you call them with a microphone on the orbiter??
Show Driver