cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, September 17, 2007 2:55:29 PM
Found this one at an industry blog that I read. Apparently it's fallout from the fight last year with JCJ over the release of a list of their employees' names.

http://www.athensmessenger.com/...eID=5344&TM=13027.44 

Proposed law focuses on carnival employees

ELIZABETH GOUSSETIS
Messenger staff writer

A new law targeting employees of carnival companies may be the effect of a power struggle between the Athens County prosecutor and the owner of the company that provided rides and concessions at the 2006 county fair.

State Rep. Jimmy Stewart , whose 92nd District includes Athens County, introduced the bill and provided sponsor testimony to a House committee Wednesday. Stewart said he worked with County Prosecutor C. David Warren on the bill, which would require carnival owners to agree that they will provide the names of all carnival workers to local law enforcement if asked. Operators would need to agree to this in order to get a concession license in Ohio.

Such a law might have prevented the legal battle between Warren and Vicky Genright, operator of JCJ Amusements, the Florida company which provides concessions for the Athens County Fair. Warren approached Genright during the 2006 fair and asked for the names and Social Security numbers of all the JCJ employees, so he could check for outstanding warrants, according to documents filed in that case. Genright refused, arguing Warren had no right to the information, but eventually complied after being subpoenaed to a grand jury.

The bill would require operators to provide names and addresses to law enforcement within 48 hours, Stewart said Friday. However, the proposed law does not require that law enforcement ask for the information; Stewart said it would be their call.

Warren said that he identified 10 employees with fake Social Security numbers, several who were on parole and two with outstanding warrants when he checked on the amusement company employees in 2006. That information came three days after the carnival left town, too late for him to act on it, Warren said.

Because the carnies camp out all week during the fair or at other events near schools, Warren said he should be able to run background checks to see if any are sexual predators, and added that those who have outstanding warrants can be arrested, or the fair board could have them removed. Warren said the law would also allow the fair board to protect itself from civil liability.

Another hearing will take place soon with the House’s civil and commerce law committee, Stewart and Warren both said, and Warren will testify to the committee at the hearing.

egoussetis@athensmessenger.com
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Bowler Roller
Monday, September 17, 2007 3:09:38 PM
Don't get me started again.

Nobody I worked for ever even knew my last name, let alone my SS#
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
cme
  •  cme
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, September 17, 2007 3:12:58 PM
I agree we check all are people
Missin it
Monday, September 17, 2007 3:25:44 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cme

I agree we check all are people

[;)]
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
cme
  •  cme
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, September 17, 2007 3:54:56 PM
no sex offenders anything but them
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, September 17, 2007 4:30:47 PM
I sent the following e-mail to the newspaper reporter:

Concerning your above article, the next time you do a story on this matter, can you please ask the following questions of State Rep. Jimmy Stewart and Prosecuter C. David Warren?

Can the background checks also include all Fair Board Members, local merchants with displays at the Fair, 4-H Organization Members, and local volunteers? All of these people are also near schools and it only seems like the right thing to do to ensure the safety of your community.

Here are links to the State Rep and Prosecuter.
http://www.athenscountygovernment.com/pa/ 
http://www.house.state.o...rDetails.jsp?DISTRICT=92 
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Monday, September 17, 2007 6:45:59 PM
I think it is only fair, if he is going to ask for all our names and SS numbers, then we should get all of his office staffs, his number and all of his campain staff and contribs. numbers also.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
gruelurks
Monday, September 17, 2007 7:14:03 PM
No one is above reproach:

http://www.breitbart.com...rticle=1&image=large 

DETROIT (AP) - An assistant U.S. attorney from Florida was arrested in an Internet sting operation after flying to Michigan to have sex with a 5-year-old girl, authorities said Monday.
John D.R. Atchison, 53, was arrested Sunday at Detroit Metropolitan Airport after several weeks of Internet conversations between the prosecutor and a detective posing as the mother of a 5-year-old girl, authorities say.

"There wasn't much reaction from him at all," Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said. Atchison was cooperative with authorities, he said.

He was charged with using interstate communication to entice a minor to have sexual contact and traveling across state lines with the intent of engaging in illicit sexual contact. If convicted of both charges, he faces up to 40 years in prison.

According to court records, Atchison initiated an online chat Aug. 29 with an undercover officer posing as a mother interested in letting men have sex with her daughter.

At one point, Atchison said: "I'm always gentle and loving; not to worry; no damage ever; no rough stuff ever ever," according to an affidavit filed in court.

Atchison, of Gulf Breeze, Fla., is a prosecutor for the U.S. attorney's office for northern Florida, based in Tallahassee. He requested a court-appointed lawyer at his hearing Monday.

Start at the top and work down. Require that everyone that works in government or public office that they themselves first pass a test on constitutional law and a background check. Then, and only then, could we deem them qualified to pass law upon those of us who elect them.

// not so simple as that, but good enough for the time being
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Monday, September 17, 2007 7:16:56 PM
with all the ID thefts and stuff going on, I think there should be a major protcal on who can get the numbers, and are they will to put up a bond stating that no one will steal the numbers and info.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Bowler Roller
Monday, September 17, 2007 8:01:59 PM
I bet that US Attorney underwent a background check, but it was useless just like every other background check.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Trucker090
Monday, September 17, 2007 9:04:02 PM
They will only check who they want. Fair or not fair its the law of the land. I think they need to check more of the politicians and city workers but you know it will not happen.
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
2ndgencarnie
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:22:39 AM
This is just what Ohio needs. I can't possibly imagine back ground checks anywhere, much less Ohio. I had a guy tha worked for me for about 7 years, never new him as nothing but Turbo. Im not sure he knew any more info than that.
DZILVU1
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:52:24 AM
THEY CAN CHECK A CARNIVAL'S EMPLOYEES AT THEIR DESCRETION? THAT SOUNDS LIKE A POWER PLAY! IN 91' I'M OVER ON LINK PLAYING THE OHIO STATE FAIR, THE POLICE GO UP TO THE OFFICE AND ASK A NEW GIRL IN THE OFFICE IF SHE KNEW OR HAD SEEN A GUY THEY DESCRIBED FOR HER,THEY WE'RE VERY VAGUE IN THEIR DESCRIPTION AND SHE SAID SHE WASN'T SURE? SO THEY ASKED HER IF THEY COULD LOOK IN THE FILE BOX THAT SHE WAS GOING THROUGH THAT HAD THE DUPLICATE I.D.'S- SHE DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETER AND GAVE THEM THE BOX I'M SURE THINKING THEY WE'RE GOING TO LOOK RIGHT THERE...WELL THEY TOOK IT BACK TO THE FAIR OFFICE AND RAN ALL THE ID'S FINDING SOME GUYS WITH MINOR THINGS. WELL WE OPENED AS YOU KNOW TO A BIG ARMBAND, AND THE STATE POLICE ARE WALKING UP ON RIDES AND PULLING OUT OPERATORS IN HANDCUFFS AS THE RIDES ARE TURNING!!NEVER MIND SAFETY! ROD LINK WENT OFF ON THE FAIR BOARD AND TOLD THEM IF THEY DIDN'T TURNOVER THE ID'S IMMEDIATLY HIS RIDES WOULD STOP TURNING! HE FELT THEY HAD NO TO USE THE SHOW TO DO THEIR JOB!! AND I SUPPORT JCJ IN THEIR EFFORT TO DO THE SAME..
Rules are fine, As long as they apply to everyone the same
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:04:50 AM
What is needed is a federal law that anyone with a tattoo should be checked! Also anyone with brown eyes(everyone knows they're all criminals). I can bring up a few others but, ya'll get the idea. [;)]
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
jackpot59102
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:00:40 PM
Quote:

Originally posted by Ohio Ron

I sent the following e-mail to the newspaper reporter:

Can the background checks also include all Fair Board Members, local merchants with displays at the Fair, 4-H Organization Members, and local volunteers? All of these people are also near schools and it only seems like the right thing to do to ensure the safety of your community

Exactly !!! How do we know that one of them isn't a sex offender or have any warrants..
Why only the "carnies".