• 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help Topic Starter
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:11:34 PM
Looking for info on the nittany ferris wheels
Benjibear
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:43:25 PM
From this page:
http://www.personal.psu....y/v/a/vac3/ride1960.html 

"Ferris Wheels were offered by Eli Bridge, Garbrick Manufacturing, King, National Amusement Device, Smith & Smith, Theel, and Vernon H. Garbrick Welding & Machine Works. I am not completely clear on the relationship between Garbrick Manufacturing (Lewis H. and Lewis A. Garbrick) and Vernon Garbrick, all from in or around Centre Hall, Pennsylvania. Vernon Garbrick was offering a newly invented collapsible model wheel in 1960, for which a patent was issued in 1961 (US patent 3002753)."

I don't know what the relationship of the Garbricks but the Nittany Wheels were build by a Garbrick near Center Hall. If I had the time I would love to do research on the Garbricks and their rides. I worked with a carnival that had a 12 seater and actually had Warren Renald build me a racked version. I probably have some pictures of that and some of what I beleive is a 16 seater.

Tell us what you already know and what you are looking for eaxctly and maybe someone here could help.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
jdavid
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:32:15 PM
if i remember nittney made a 16 seat and a 12 seat wheel both were trailer mounted. they were made from the gaberick wheel. either at
the gabrick plant or close i think was related to gabberick
Trucker090
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 7:36:24 PM
All I found was 2 models of the nittany ferris wheel. All I could find out is they could of been made by Garbrick in a 12 or a 16 car wheel.

http://cedarislandpark.c...sWheels/Ferriswheels.htm 

They are listed here under Garbrick.

http://www.rmmridemodels...dex.php?module=pricelist 
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
Benjibear
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:33:33 AM
If you look at the patent for the colapsable wheel it was obtained by Vernon Garbrick. I beleive this was the basis of the Nittany Wheel. I think Garbrick Manufacturing built wheels using the same patent. I am not sure if this was ever in the same shop or different shops.

Lisa
  •  Lisa
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help Topic Starter
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:30:29 PM
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where you can find the light sockets that are on the wheel.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:50:33 PM
Post a pic or put someone on line that can better communicate just what is on your mind.
UserPostedImage
Ridee-O
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:24:12 PM
[:)]Lewis Garbrick & Vernon Garbrick were cousins, their facilities were next door to each other. They both started out building g/m 10 seat wheels. Legend has it that one of the garbricks bought a 10 seat wheel from Smith & Smith (Chairplane Company) and made their own versions and began selling them.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:35:55 PM
She isn't asking for a history lesson, she wants some basic tech help.

Take a couple of mexicans, have them remove an old socket and take it to your local industrial electric supply house. They will have them on the shelf.
UserPostedImage
Rockowheel
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:41:40 PM
Great to see that info. I for one appreciate any and all "history lessons" when it comes to the amusement and carnival industry.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ridee-O

[:)]Lewis Garbrick & Vernon Garbrick were cousins, their facilities were next door to each other. They both started out building g/m 10 seat wheels. Legend has it that one of the garbricks bought a 10 seat wheel from Smith & Smith (Chairplane Company) and made their own versions and began selling them.

Benjibear
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:54:58 PM
I like the history lesson.
I was doing a search ealier and found this:
http://newspaperads.cent...OP/ads.aspx?advid=624690 
Looks like Garbrick Amusements is celebrating 60 years and 52 years at Centre Hall Grange Fair.
The sockets for the lights, I beleive are a special part. You may be able to get something to replace the originals at an electrical supply house. If not, contact Garbrick Amusements and they may either have them or can direct you to where you can buy them.
snowman
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:27:52 PM
The florecent bulb tips I believe where available from showmen supply when I had a 16 seater years ago I'm pretty sure thats where I bought them they where a special tip and only one supplier years ago had them call Mark he will know where to get them if he doesn't have them
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:22:34 AM
I would make an assumption that she is looking for the rubber ended/steel sprung fluorescent bi-pin ends. I may have some on the shelf.
UserPostedImage
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:51:43 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

I would make an assumption that she is looking for the rubber ended/steel sprung fluorescent bi-pin ends. I may have some on the shelf.

Eli Bridge, Eyerly and a few others used those ends for years.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
snowman
Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:30:44 PM
the tip used on the Nittany wheel where one of a kind ends and only used by them if they ever made it to an Eli its because someone added them. I should have called Mark today and asked I'm almost positive he told me he bought the mold for them way back when