countrycuz
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 2:08:18 PM
I was wondering if there are any old timers here who remember the skilo and the razzle and the pinstore.
who has been on these carnivals
toby suggs amusements
john denton shows
jimmy wright amusements
magnolia state shows
james h drew shows
Chris P Bacon
Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:51:47 AM
The last skillo I saw was in the early 60's on Bob Hammond Shows. They were playing the Ft. Bend Co. Fair at Angleton, TX. That arrow would drop an inch it seemed when the agent brought it home.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:18:57 PM
Most of those days are long gone and it may be best to leave them gone.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
alibiguyny
Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:30:07 PM
Quote:

quote:

Most of those days are long gone and it may be best to leave them gone.

we should forget are roots?
i dont smell em i just tell em......
panhandler
Sunday, August 12, 2007 5:38:48 PM
people must think that shows were free back in the day. there wouldnt be no shows today if there wasnt any racket. all those big scores then brought people what they have today
"Sure do miss the days when i had money."
rockin ron
Monday, August 13, 2007 6:06:58 PM
I worked for Jim McKnight when he had stuff booked in with the Ginches at Magnolia State and I worked for Johnny Denton.The last skillo I saw set up was on Larrys Amusements in 1980 or 1981.Junior James had it set up over there and his partner shot and killed him. L.D.Wheeler bought the joint from the guys wife who shot Junior and set it on fire that night.I'm sure there's a few guys alive that worked skillos including one of the great ones,Kenneth Guest.
rsdoran
Monday, August 13, 2007 7:04:24 PM
Personally never bought that crap that the rackets funded the shows, not for show owners that knew what they were doing at least.

Will not argue that some of those games made some people money but in the long run it was those that gave it the bad name that is still associated with a carnival. They still write, whether true or not they are believed, books about the gaff etc.

Growing up I can recall numerous times that the rackets had "hey rubes" and the ride jocks bailed them out. I never saw a ride jock call hey rube but there was one time I remember the jointees did not offer to help, y'all ask Dominic or John L about the time the guy came on the lot with his dog and see if they remember.

Y'all don't get it, this is the reason they target shows and their employees now, as mentioned it is best to let sleeping dogs lie.
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:07:38 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by rsdoran

Personally never bought that crap that the rackets funded the shows

That's because you're 12 years old and never lived those days. I know of several front end guys that put up the cash to get a show out of the barn. One rail show I'm sure of and another one that's still going strong. Don't forget, in the 40's and 50's and into the 60's, shows didn't have the earning power of the rides they have these days. There were no Himalaya's and Wild Mouse's. Top grosser was the Tilt. Most show owners were in with the front end. At least the smart ones were. I mean, every show had a patch. Why need a patch if all you have is water games. Oh, that's right. There were no water games back then. Bottom line is, many shows survived on grind stores.

The real question is, will they make a comeback if times get any harder? The answer is.....................
Sixcats have nine lives
Jackpotter
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:53:02 AM
Nope. They won't come back...at least not like they were. Just like you said, it's a totally different crowd and operation and world today.

You really think for a minute that some undercover reporter with a hidden camera from Fox News, 60 Minutes or local newschannel...wouldn't be all over a Razzle or count'em game today? Already the media is out there calling legitimate games rigged and impossible to win. I know, I know...there really are much bigger things in the world for the newshounds to worry about that some rigged or perceived to be rigged carnival game(s)...but the fact is, that's just how they are.

A patch today would have to worry about making it all good with cops, greedy committee members and on top of that every single media outlet within a 35 mile radius. There's no way it would be kept quiet.

Make no mistake, I assume there are still some flat stores out there...a very few...scattered on some small ragbag shows....but I can tell you that without a doubt, where I live, there were a few shows 20-30 years ago that were loaded with flats (I saw them myself and have been told by more than one current show owner, cop and committee member)and to this day games in my area of the country do very little. And this goes from the largest county fair within 70 miles..to the smallest festival in a town 10 miles away.

There's a whole generation out there who played those flat stores, got taken...and another whole generation who were told by their parents about getting taken...at the games...and they just walk on by unless it's an obvious hanky pank for the kids (duck pond, etc).
alibiguyny
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:50:19 PM
Quote:

quote:

Make no mistake, I assume there are still some flat stores out there...a very few...scattered on some small ragbag shows

is reed shows a ragbag show. is dreamland a ragbag show????i could go on. but im not a knocker and ill protect the joint like im supposed to. i also know a huge show in california that has a grind store up. my friend tells me they never put less then 20 grand a weak in there till. but your wright those joints are only on ragbag shows lol......................................sixcat and a few others will agree i think you have no qlue nor could you even picture the money those joints get when run wright and correctly.....
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:05:24 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by alibiguyny

Quote:

quote:

Make no mistake, I assume there are still some flat stores out there...a very few...scattered on some small ragbag shows

is reed shows a ragbag show. is dreamland a ragbag show????i could go on. but im not a knocker and ill protect the joint like im supposed to. i also know a huge show in california that has a grind store up. my friend tells me they never put less then 20 grand a weak in there till. but your wright those joints are only on ragbag shows lol......................................sixcat and a few others will agree i think you have no qlue nor could you even picture the money those joints get when run wright and correctly.....

Jay, you're absolutely correct What's was needed was a good operation. What killed the grind store and the alibi joint business was greed. When I was young and had Swingers, Sixcats, and so on, an old timer gave me this bit of advice. If you want to stay in business and avoid beefs, always remember this, "Take a little, leave a little." If everybody in our business had heeded those words, we'd all still have those joints. However, human nature being what it is, we now have collection joints with bad operations and crack heads burning up our midways. Flat store agents wore suits and had nice homes and familles. My, how times have changed.
Sixcats have nine lives
scorpion
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:28:12 PM
Sixcat speaks the truth, he is not dropping names or going on hear-say!If you have been there and done that,it is easy to tell it like it is. My hats off to you Six-Cat,and my razzle,charts,and hard flash that I still put up in the joint to this day are not stuffed away in a closet gathering dust! HERE!HERE! another 9 lives for the six-cat!
alibiguyny
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:40:25 PM
im open as well. and not ashamed............see the whole key word is bad operator....i could name a couple of folks that have no business in the business and the people who broke them in should be paid a visit as well. once again some people should not just speak or open there mouth when it comes to this business. i have a uncle who has joints and he cant hop behind the counter to work one of them doesnt even know the real difference between grindstore or a duckpond. knocks the working joint every chance he can. and you know what lol those hanky panks that he has cant even pay the bills....but he will knock the guy who has a package in his pocket....
Jackpotter
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:21:50 AM
Then don't be complaining when you get the bad press and get called out on things.
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:12:54 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpotter

Then don't be complaining when you get the bad press and get called out on things.

If the man is a true carny and knows what he's doing, then there's no bad press, and no reason to get called out.
Sixcats have nine lives