IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:50:30 PM
The topic about dozers in Indiana possibly being outlawed, got me thinking about other games that I don't see anymore. Though I think some of these just went away on their own for other reasons. And some of these I am going to mention, maybe haven't gone away at all, maybe I just don't get exposed to them anymore...

Ping-Pong Ball toss into glass goblets...It's had to be more than 20 years since I've seen one of these. Simply explained, you just tossed a ping-pong ball and if it landed in the goblet, you won that goblet. Goblets were arranged in a square and sometimes had more than a few rows stacked on. Sometimes a specially painted goblet would win an additional prize, a plush. Saw many people walk away with a box full of goblets. It wasn't a Fair for us until we went home with one or several. Those glass goblets must have been really cheap back in the day. I can still find them, or ones just like them in yard sales all of the time.

Coin pitch into glassware...just like the previous game, probably been that long since I've seen one of these too. I think dimes were pitched, and if it landed on a dish, ash tray, glass, etc., you won that prize. Many times the glassware was just stacked in a certain pattern, with others being on turntables that made it a little more of a challenge.

Coin pitch to hit the red spot...again I think this may have been a dime game, but may have been a quarter. Coins were tossed on a very shiny wooden board, that was just above ground level, that had spaced out red spots all over that were just a little bigger than the coin you were pitching. I think at least in one instance the red dot was encircled by a black ring, and if the coin ended up inside the black ring but not entirely inside the red dot, you won a smaller plush. If your coin ended up inside the red dot, you won a large plush.

Ring toss for a bottle of soda pop...Just like it sounds, back when soda pop came in glass bottles, ring a bottle, win that soda pop. I thought as a kid I had had a really good night if I went home with a bottle or two of pop (which was a treat for me back then) and a goblet to drink it from.[:)]

Derby Race...Race game against others, where you played a game that looked like a pinball machine except all you did was shoot the silver pinball with the plunger and it depending on where it settled, in one of 3 or 4 channels, advanced your horse on a lighted board the associated spots. Each Horse had its own name. This was one of those games that was fun just to watch, without even playing.

And my favorite...

The Pill Game...simple game, 50 cent buy-in, marks stood around a table top that had several rows of recessed numbered spots at one end. Pills were distributed, one to a person, by the "dealer" out of a bottle after being shaken. One person was given the rubber ball to bounce off of one end where it would roll down to the other end and settle in one of the numbered slots. If you had that number, you won the pot. If the number was not held by one of the players, the house would count up until a winner was determined. The house kept one of the 50 cent pieces each game (hey, they had to make their money some way). There was a spot on the table marked "house wins", but Arkie (the man who always brought this game to our town) always left the money in the pot, and everybody would ante up again, and they played another game for that much more. Arkie would always say, "House won it, house don't want it". He was a true Showman. As a player would leave the game, he would always say "See you in church". I would stand and watch this game endlessly, as I was too young to play. Last saw Arkie in '79. This, I will always remember.

I'm sure that I will probably remember some more, but this is a start.

Anyone know if any of these games are still around?

If not, what happened to them? Stock get to pricy? Or they did they get legislated away?

What are some other games that are no longer around?
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, July 14, 2007 6:32:40 PM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by IndianaTED

The topic about dozers in Indiana possibly being outlawed, got me thinking about other games that I don't see anymore. Though I think some of these just went away on their own for other reasons. And some of these I am going to mention, maybe haven't gone away at all, maybe I just don't get exposed to them anymore...

Ping-Pong Ball toss into glass goblets...It's had to be more than 20 years since I've seen one of these. Simply explained, you just tossed a ping-pong ball and if it landed in the goblet, you won that goblet. Goblets were arranged in a square and sometimes had more than a few rows stacked on. Sometimes a specially painted goblet would win an additional prize, a plush. Saw many people walk away with a box full of goblets. It wasn't a Fair for us until we went home with one or several. Those glass goblets must have been really cheap back in the day. I can still find them, or ones just like them in yard sales all of the time.


I'm sure that I will probably remember some more, but this is a start.

Anyone know if any of these games are still around?

If not, what happened to them? Stock get to pricy? Or they did they get legislated away?

What are some other games that are no longer around?

We have one of these booked with us, Debbie Carl has it. Very nice looking centre joint, although she gives off prizes and not goblets. I'll post a pic.

EDIT: Here is a photo, taken at the Livonia (MI) Spree three weeks ago. Kinda hard to read the sign, but it does say "GOBLETS" on it and lists the colours and what size the prize is for each colour.

UserPostedImage

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Benjibear
Saturday, July 14, 2007 8:04:38 PM
I think the problem with the glassware is the cost of shipping these days.
My dad had a dime pitch in the 80s with the lucky strike red dots. If you got it completely in the red dot you won a large plush. The favorite was a unicorn but we had several that we gave away. It also had a black ring. As a special we gave a small plush if you got it in the black ring or even if you just touched the red. That was only on like kids day and stuff.
I was sad when he sold the stand because it was in a tent that looked somewhat like a ride when going down the road but set up to be a nice center joint on the lot. I will have to post some pictures of it someday.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Guest
Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:54:19 AM
Ive seen every game youve mentioned except the pill game within the last 2-3 years on lots. Those games might just not be in your area.Game do run there course in some regions, then return in a few years. I havent seen a bumper car game in a long time, but i can guess that someone out there is running one. 22 caliber shooting galleries might be extinct on the road, though.
Benjibear
Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:41:15 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by rhino

Ive seen every game youve mentioned except the pill game within the last 2-3 years on lots. Those games might just not be in your area.Game do run there course in some regions, then return in a few years. I havent seen a bumper car game in a long time, but i can guess that someone out there is running one. 22 caliber shooting galleries might be extinct on the road, though.



What is a bumper car game?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
magfly
Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:27:11 AM
I noticed a similarity between the pill game you described and the P/C concession called a pea wheel which is set up here in Canada during agricultural events (FAIRS IE Calgary Stampede),where numbered balls (peas) are bought by players and the house spins a wheel and the same agenda as you mentioned is followed counting up after the wheel stops to someone holding the correct numbered pea recieving the pot .
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by IndianaTED

The topic about dozers in Indiana possibly being outlawed, got me thinking about other games that I don't see anymore. Though I think some of these just went away on their own for other reasons. And some of these I am going to mention, maybe haven't gone away at all, maybe I just don't get exposed to them anymore...

Ping-Pong Ball toss into glass goblets...It's had to be more than 20 years since I've seen one of these. Simply explained, you just tossed a ping-pong ball and if it landed in the goblet, you won that goblet. Goblets were arranged in a square and sometimes had more than a few rows stacked on. Sometimes a specially painted goblet would win an additional prize, a plush. Saw many people walk away with a box full of goblets. It wasn't a Fair for us until we went home with one or several. Those glass goblets must have been really cheap back in the day. I can still find them, or ones just like them in yard sales all of the time.

Coin pitch into glassware...just like the previous game, probably been that long since I've seen one of these too. I think dimes were pitched, and if it landed on a dish, ash tray, glass, etc., you won that prize. Many times the glassware was just stacked in a certain pattern, with others being on turntables that made it a little more of a challenge.

Coin pitch to hit the red spot...again I think this may have been a dime game, but may have been a quarter. Coins were tossed on a very shiny wooden board, that was just above ground level, that had spaced out red spots all over that were just a little bigger than the coin you were pitching. I think at least in one instance the red dot was encircled by a black ring, and if the coin ended up inside the black ring but not entirely inside the red dot, you won a smaller plush. If your coin ended up inside the red dot, you won a large plush.

Ring toss for a bottle of soda pop...Just like it sounds, back when soda pop came in glass bottles, ring a bottle, win that soda pop. I thought as a kid I had had a really good night if I went home with a bottle or two of pop (which was a treat for me back then) and a goblet to drink it from.[:)]

Derby Race...Race game against others, where you played a game that looked like a pinball machine except all you did was shoot the silver pinball with the plunger and it depending on where it settled, in one of 3 or 4 channels, advanced your horse on a lighted board the associated spots. Each Horse had its own name. This was one of those games that was fun just to watch, without even playing.

And my favorite...

The Pill Game...simple game, 50 cent buy-in, marks stood around a table top that had several rows of recessed numbered spots at one end. Pills were distributed, one to a person, by the "dealer" out of a bottle after being shaken. One person was given the rubber ball to bounce off of one end where it would roll down to the other end and settle in one of the numbered slots. If you had that number, you won the pot. If the number was not held by one of the players, the house would count up until a winner was determined. The house kept one of the 50 cent pieces each game (hey, they had to make their money some way). There was a spot on the table marked "house wins", but Arkie (the man who always brought this game to our town) always left the money in the pot, and everybody would ante up again, and they played another game for that much more. Arkie would always say, "House won it, house don't want it". He was a true Showman. As a player would leave the game, he would always say "See you in church". I would stand and watch this game endlessly, as I was too young to play. Last saw Arkie in '79. This, I will always remember.

I'm sure that I will probably remember some more, but this is a start.

Anyone know if any of these games are still around?

If not, what happened to them? Stock get to pricy? Or they did they get legislated away?

What are some other games that are no longer around?


when you cant breathe nothing else matters/please sign you organ donor cards today!! you may save life ; it might even be MINE you are saving/check out www.bluebracelet.info 
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:41:56 AM
Depending where you are there were amny group games outlawed because they involved luck instead of skill. Seemed kinda stupid to me as some people have little or no skill but do get lucky. With the group games they will average a percentage of payout with little variance from spot to spot. Two of my favs were crazy ball and the colors for cigarrettes.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:45:07 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by Benjibear

I think the problem with the glassware is the cost of shipping these days.
My dad had a dime pitch in the 80s with the lucky strike red dots. If you got it completely in the red dot you won a large plush. The favorite was a unicorn but we had several that we gave away. It also had a black ring. As a special we gave a small plush if you got it in the black ring or even if you just touched the red. That was only on like kids day and stuff.
I was sad when he sold the stand because it was in a tent that looked somewhat like a ride when going down the road but set up to be a nice center joint on the lot. I will have to post some pictures of it someday.



When I was writing this, I thought of describing those spots as looking like "Lucky Strikes" logos, but I didn't know if anyone would know what I was talking about. That was a cool game(and I don't mean Kool...LOL).
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:49:30 AM
What can be outlawed at Ohio fairs and cities is allowed to run, unchallenged at Cedar Point.

Does the media ever pick up on on it? No.

But we are only talking about luck vs skill. Oh yes, the duck pond is a game of chance. The criminals! Do you think they will grow up and play "The Mega"? Addicted for sure.
UserPostedImage
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:51:15 AM
Another game that I still see only on rare occasions is the "Mouse Game". Specifically on our midway it was always called "Oscar the mouse". Betting Color Wheel kind of game. Coincidently, I have just seen one this past week on Drew's midway. But I bet thats the first and only one I've seen in several years. I thought maybe the PETA folks got that one gone. I also saw this game once where a full-fledged rat was used. However I think that actually hurt the stand because alot of people just don't want to see a rat. Didn't bother me.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
cny_chris
Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:45:13 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by IndianaTED


Coin pitch into glassware...just like the previous game, probably been that long since I've seen one of these too. I think dimes were pitched, and if it landed on a dish, ash tray, glass, etc., you won that prize. Many times the glassware was just stacked in a certain pattern, with others being on turntables that made it a little more of a challenge.


There is one that plays with Strates, I usually see it at the NY State Fair. Dimes only, as the other coins can break the glass.
Quote:

quote:



Coin pitch to hit the red spot...again I think this may have been a dime game, but may have been a quarter. Coins were tossed on a very shiny wooden board, that was just above ground level, that had spaced out red spots all over that were just a little bigger than the coin you were pitching. I think at least in one instance the red dot was encircled by a black ring, and if the coin ended up inside the black ring but not entirely inside the red dot, you won a smaller plush. If your coin ended up inside the red dot, you won a large plush.


There's one of these in the Hudson Valley area of NY, usually I see it at the Ulster Co. Fair (New Paltz, NY) with Dreamland Amusements. Again, they use dimes only.

Quote:

quote:



Another game that I still see only on rare occasions is the "Mouse Game". Specifically on our midway it was always called "Oscar the mouse". Betting Color Wheel kind of game. Coincidently, I have just seen one this past week on Drew's midway. But I bet thats the first and only one I've seen in several years. I thought maybe the PETA folks got that one gone. I also saw this game once where a full-fledged rat was used. However I think that actually hurt the stand because alot of people just don't want to see a rat. Didn't bother me.



There was one of these with Powers last year, saw it at the Dutchess County Fair (Rhinebeck, NY). Mouse is let go on a spinning wheel, and each color has a hole. Whatever color the mouse goes to is the winner. Heard it referred to as the Rat Wheel.

Group games have caused some of the older games to become less common. IMHO, nothing like a long line of stick joints, with the classic games, all flashed up.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:37:41 AM
Quote:

quote:


Originally posted by IndianaTED

Another game that I still see only on rare occasions is the "Mouse Game". Specifically on our midway it was always called "Oscar the mouse". Betting Color Wheel kind of game. Coincidently, I have just seen one this past week on Drew's midway. But I bet thats the first and only one I've seen in several years. I thought maybe the PETA folks got that one gone. I also saw this game once where a full-fledged rat was used. However I think that actually hurt the stand because alot of people just don't want to see a rat. Didn't bother me.



We had a guy booked with us(Carnival Tyme) for a couple of seasons with a mouse game. He went by Jim Bob. I know he was in Kendallville last week. He has the strongest rat joint i have ever seen. Calls the rat "kokomo joe". It looked great and it always won money no matter where we were at.
SaraAB
Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:48:40 PM
I liked the "pill" game as a kid, we had variants of it here and it was cheap to play, usually 25 to 50 cents so I always played a lot. These games drew a huge crowd. I suspect these games were outlawed as gambling as I have not seen one of these games for some time now.
Randy D.
Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:06:37 PM
Most Fairs and Show Owners cannot have glass on the midway anymore do to insurance reasons. I really miss seeing the carnival glass and stretched bottles with the ring toss game.Just always seemed to be a part of the carnival history that is gone. The mouse game and crazy ball always got a crowd back in the day.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:25:05 PM
I'm thinking of framing up a glass pitch for one Fair that is real close...I just need to catch up with the Stateies to see what the rules on it are here in Ohio....I moved and can't find my rule book....

So if any Ohio Inspectors are reading this shoot me a PM...





I think alot of joints went away since the Big Shows are all now So Sunday School....Afraid of any beefs and lack of any good patches still around....