IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:12:24 PM
I touched on this subject just briefly in another topic, and so that everyone can access the "trip report", I thought it needed its own headline.

Brazil's (IN) 72nd annual 4th of July Celebration sponsored by the local Rotary Club runs June 27 through July 4. The event is in Forest Park at the city's south edge of town. Brazil is 15 miles to the east of Terre Haute, and 65 miles to the west of Indianapolis, and is 4-5 miles north of the I-70 exit #23...just in case anyone would be in the general area and wanted to stop in.

Rides, games and concessions are provided this year by a portion of Reithoffer Show's Orange Unit. Contrary to some responses in a previous topic about Reithoffer, this is their equipment, they did not "suitcase" this event. Reithoffer was signed for this event less than two months before it opened, as the previously contracted carnival, All-American Shows dissolved in April.

The following is the midway at opening...

Majors/Spectaculars Rides

Dutch Wheel
Huss Tornado
Full Tilt
Pharoah's Fury
Sizzler
Tilt-A-Whirl
Orbitor
Scooter (100 ft.)
Tornado (smaller, more recognizable version)

Kiddie/Family Rides

Mini Himalaya
Hampton Boats
Hampton Jumping Cycles
Chance 3-abreast Carousel
Zamperla Baja Buggy
Lighthouse-themed tower drop ride
Enclosed inflatable (Carousel theme)
Open inflatable (obstacle course, looked brand new!)

There were three more spots that were marked and appeared reserved for more equipment, but the event has started and those spots remain empty. If something is yet to appear, I will update it in this thread.

Concessions (Titles do not describe all foods served)

Steak Sandwich
Italian Sausage
Elephant Ears
Cotton Candy/Candy Apples
Pizza
Lemon Shake Ups

Games (I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

Sweeper
Draglines
Basketball Shoot
Water Race
Darts
Catch-a-Fish (like pick-a-duck)
Ball Toss in a basket

The biggest surprise to me is that two of Reithoffer's big pieces came here; the Dutch Wheel, and the Huss Tornado. Both of these rides came here on four loads each! A surprise in the other direction, they had just a few games. I'm not knocking them and I'm not a game-person myself, but I realize the importance for the midway what a good variety of games can have. I'm guessing that since this is a split unit, then the other unit at the more-established site probably has the bulk of the games with it. And I'm OK with that. It's just that early on, that's already a comment I've heard...about the shortage of games.

Also, the layout of the lot is deceiving for some. We are used to seeing most of our rides on the inside of the midway with the games lining the outside. Reithoffer turned that inside out, rides on the outside, only two rides in the middle; Fury and Sizzler. Again, no complaint here, in fact it makes the midway look different, which it is! It's just that it makes the overall layout look smaller, and yet as I've already pointed out to some here, we actually have a ride or two more than we've had in recent years.

The first night was hampered by, what else...a downpour just as it began. So crowd reports are forth coming. The one place that did have a sustained line all night was the Elephant Ear Stand.

It's a running joke here, if we need rain, all we have to do is hire a carnival! No joke, we went about a month with little to no rain until Reithoffer equipment began arriving. Thankfully they got everything on the grass-lot before the rains began, so the lot is still in relatively good shape.

One nice observation, two games; Sweeper and Draglines, are owned and operated by Parker Wilkins, a husband and wife operation that is a carry-over from our previous midway. Very nice to see that bridge between our old midway provider and our new one. However it was at the Sweeper joint that it was told to me that this would be their last year in Brazil as the new contract holder would be taking over, and apparently they won't be apart of it. They weren't being bitter, they were just letting their patrons know that if they had any old credits from past years to "cash-in" then they needed to do it by the end of this year's event.

So this is a one-and-done by Reithoffer, as before the sudden opening we had to fill this year even happened, our committee had already signed another Show starting next year. The as of yet to be named Show is a definite, I just don't have that information to share at this point. I will report it as soon as it becomes news to me. At least one person on this website says they already know, but can't say. Hopefully once this event passes (and likewise the event our future carnival is playing now passes) then this information can become public. But that is for another day and another topic.

At this point, I can't say enough good things about Reithoffer and their Show. They have been very generous to bring their rides here this year, and they certainly didn't slight this event at all. The fact that they are here and brought what they did, tells me that this is still a good spot. To tell you the truth, this spot has lost some of its luster for reasons I won't go into today. But with a Show like Reithoffer, and hopefully another quality Show next year, maybe this event will get rebuilt into the great event it used to be.

I still feel bad that Reithoffer had to experience the loss of equipment that they did as is covered in another topic. Hopefully, they will make some of that back and then some in their grosses.

I will update as the event progresses. Hopefully others can give their "trip report" of this event as well.

I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
FUN BUNCH
Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:59:32 PM
Thank you Indiana Ted for your compliments. Reithoffer Shows owns over 100 rides and we usually don't suitcase any dates. Occasionally we book in equipment that we may not have in our arsonal to give the fair the best of the best. The reason we lay the rides to the outside is so you can see into the carnival and not the back of a concession line with trucks and excess equipment blocking the view. We have had many compliments here in Indiana in the last couple of days and heard alot of great stories about Johnny and Marlyn Portimont. People speak very highly of them here. Which is a true testiment to how nice all carnival people really are. Thanks. If you stop in again, stop by the office and say hello
IF WERE EVER GONNA SEE A RAINBOW WE HAVE TO STAND A LITTLE RAIN
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:13:32 PM
the show next year will be just as good as reithoffer. Surised to see the multi trialers there, figured they would run with the pup rides due to the jump size
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
Friday, June 29, 2007 2:22:27 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan

the show next year will be just as good as reithoffer. Surised to see the multi trialers there, figured they would run with the pup rides due to the jump size

They have a couple of big spots right after us in KY, then MO, so those big pieces were coming out this way anyway.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
Friday, June 29, 2007 2:29:16 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by FUN BUNCH

Thank you Indiana Ted for your compliments. Reithoffer Shows owns over 100 rides and we usually don't suitcase any dates. Occasionally we book in equipment that we may not have in our arsonal to give the fair the best of the best. The reason we lay the rides to the outside is so you can see into the carnival and not the back of a concession line with trucks and excess equipment blocking the view. We have had many compliments here in Indiana in the last couple of days and heard alot of great stories about Johnny and Marlyn Portimont. People speak very highly of them here. Which is a true testiment to how nice all carnival people really are. Thanks. If you stop in again, stop by the office and say hello

I'm not surprised at all that people around here think highly of Johnny and Marilyn Portemont, they are legends in your industry and in our community. We miss them very much.

I like the layout with the rides on the outside, I just think it has tricked some people, by having less on the inside, they think the midway is smaller. It's not!...and I've been pointing out that fact at every oppurtunity. We had Mid-America Shows here a couple of years ago for another festival on the same lot, they did the same layout as this one. And I think it was time the layout had a different look to it, particularly with a new Show in town.
Jackpotter
Friday, June 29, 2007 3:49:18 AM
the show next year will be just as good as reithoffer

So Reithoffer won't be back there after this year?
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
Friday, June 29, 2007 4:37:28 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpotter

the show next year will be just as good as reithoffer

So Reithoffer won't be back there after this year?

No, this is a one-and-done deal for them. The organizing committee already had signed a new Show for next year and beyond. When we had the sudden opening for this year, Reithoffer was able to fill in. They may have been willing to go beyond this year, there just isn't the oppurtunity for them to do that now.
Jackpotter
Friday, June 29, 2007 6:19:24 AM
Who is the show signed next year?
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, June 29, 2007 6:25:18 AM
Quote:

quote:

It's a Huuuuge industry secret!!!!!! Spies everywhere, can't say, can't even whisper. Gotta go, I think someone is following me.........
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
Jackpotter
Friday, June 29, 2007 6:27:39 AM
LMAO....[:o)] I can't imagine.....honestly....
babyhughie
Friday, June 29, 2007 6:49:49 AM
Ok call me stupid but, what is a huss tornado?Just curious!
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, June 29, 2007 6:57:00 AM
Quote:

quote:

babyhughie Posted - 06/29/2007 : 10:49:49 AM
Ok call me stupid but, what is a huss tornado?Just curious!

From the Flatrides.com web site:

UserPostedImage
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, June 29, 2007 6:58:26 AM
Ted - Enjoy the show while it is in town and take lots of pics since you already know they aren't coming back next year.
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
Friday, June 29, 2007 7:11:25 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 42WLA

Quote:

quote:

It's a Huuuuge industry secret!!!!!! Spies everywhere, can't say, can't even whisper. Gotta go, I think someone is following me.........

Yes, I hear that if you get caught divulging anything pertaining to this, you'll immediately be subject to "double secret probation".[;)]
Jackpotter
Friday, June 29, 2007 7:20:57 AM
I don't have any idea...but I could make some pretty good guesses....although I don't really know where a lot of the Indiana shows are playing this time of year.