circusguy
Monday, March 5, 2007 9:40:42 PM
DOUG CLARK, MANAGER OF THE IONIA FREE FAIR, PASSED AWAY THIS EVENING, OF A HEART ATTACK.
DOUG WAS THE FORMER OWNER OF LIESURE TIME AMUSEMENTS, HAVING SOLD OUT TO THE SKERBECK BROTHERS, A FEW YEARS AGO.
FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS, ARE UNKNOWN, AT THIS TIME.
babyhughie
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:17:05 AM
WOW!Jim my mom just told me about 10 minutes ago!What a shock!My heartfelt sympathies to his family.Doug was a great guy, always a wonderful smile and a story to tell.
JustinJames
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:01:35 PM
I remember meeting him in Detroit while booking in with Frank at the State Fair. Tim Slattering, Doug and I had probably one of the longest and most intelligent conversations I've ever encountered on a midway during a set-up. What a honest to god "nice gentleman". He will be missed. Seems that we have been losing some real greats lately.[V]
carnie101
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 8:39:59 PM
For those interested; the visitation for Doug Clark is 2-4 & 6-9 on Wed. @ Schrauben-Lehman Funeral Home, 220 Rich St. Ionia-(616) 5272250 with a prayer service @ 8:00 P M. Funeral Mass is @ 11:00 A M on Thurs. with viewing @ 10:00 A M @ S S Peter & Paul Church on High St. in Ionia. You can go to ioniafreefair.com to access info & an article about Doug from the local paper.

As the previous people have said; Doug was a gentleman in so many ways. He had worked in his early teens for the Gazella Family @ the Ionia Fair & even then said he would own a carnival & he did it--his way. He built the show & route into a profitable venture over the years. He generally stayed out of the way of the bigger shows in the Detroit Metro area & created his route in the western part of the state of MI for the most part. He always asked to see my latest pictures of other shows & found a quiet place to go & talk. He sold the show nearly 10 years ago & became involved in the Ionia Free Fair & its operation in recent years. Most recently as its full-time volunter manager. Unfortunately he developed Sugar Diabetes which hit him very hard in the last few years. We lost him way too young.
chief
Friday, March 9, 2007 9:08:34 AM
I am sorry for the familys loss I met doug through Jimmy Carl and thought he was a great guy.
Chief
"the party in hell has been canceled, do to the fire"
Skywheelrider
Monday, March 12, 2007 3:48:01 AM
I must say I dealth with him a little bit when I played Ionia with Wade Shows in 2005, and he was great. Was quite a shock to hear of his passing. My prayers are with his family and friends.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain