circusguy
Monday, March 5, 2007 4:40:42 PM
DOUG CLARK, MANAGER OF THE IONIA FREE FAIR, PASSED AWAY THIS EVENING, OF A HEART ATTACK.
DOUG WAS THE FORMER OWNER OF LIESURE TIME AMUSEMENTS, HAVING SOLD OUT TO THE SKERBECK BROTHERS, A FEW YEARS AGO.
FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS, ARE UNKNOWN, AT THIS TIME.
babyhughie
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:17:05 AM
WOW!Jim my mom just told me about 10 minutes ago!What a shock!My heartfelt sympathies to his family.Doug was a great guy, always a wonderful smile and a story to tell.
JustinJames
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 7:01:35 AM
I remember meeting him in Detroit while booking in with Frank at the State Fair. Tim Slattering, Doug and I had probably one of the longest and most intelligent conversations I've ever encountered on a midway during a set-up. What a honest to god "nice gentleman". He will be missed. Seems that we have been losing some real greats lately.[V]
carnie101
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 3:39:59 PM
For those interested; the visitation for Doug Clark is 2-4 & 6-9 on Wed. @ Schrauben-Lehman Funeral Home, 220 Rich St. Ionia-(616) 5272250 with a prayer service @ 8:00 P M. Funeral Mass is @ 11:00 A M on Thurs. with viewing @ 10:00 A M @ S S Peter & Paul Church on High St. in Ionia. You can go to ioniafreefair.com to access info & an article about Doug from the local paper.

As the previous people have said; Doug was a gentleman in so many ways. He had worked in his early teens for the Gazella Family @ the Ionia Fair & even then said he would own a carnival & he did it--his way. He built the show & route into a profitable venture over the years. He generally stayed out of the way of the bigger shows in the Detroit Metro area & created his route in the western part of the state of MI for the most part. He always asked to see my latest pictures of other shows & found a quiet place to go & talk. He sold the show nearly 10 years ago & became involved in the Ionia Free Fair & its operation in recent years. Most recently as its full-time volunter manager. Unfortunately he developed Sugar Diabetes which hit him very hard in the last few years. We lost him way too young.
chief
Friday, March 9, 2007 4:08:34 AM
I am sorry for the familys loss I met doug through Jimmy Carl and thought he was a great guy.
Chief
"the party in hell has been canceled, do to the fire"
Skywheelrider
Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:48:01 PM
I must say I dealth with him a little bit when I played Ionia with Wade Shows in 2005, and he was great. Was quite a shock to hear of his passing. My prayers are with his family and friends.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Drummer1973
Wednesday, November 22, 2023 3:07:56 AM
Doug clark was a great man he helped me when i was in a bad way. He knew i had trouble with the law but gave me a chance. I wish i would of kept in touch so he would know i got my life straight. I became a journeyman plumber and foreman for a major corporation. I traveled the world building american embassies race tracks resorts. Ive gone as far as plumbing custom homes forr Dan rather arlenn ness andie MacDowell. He would of been proud he made me feel like i had the potential to do anything i put my mind too. I thank him for that. Rest in peace my old friend ill see you again some day. He used to call me the show hoe. Russell weidler
Drummer1973
Wednesday, November 22, 2023 3:09:42 AM
Doug clark was a great man he helped me when i was in a bad way. He knew i had trouble with the law but gave me a chance. I wish i would of kept in touch so he would know i got my life straight. I became a journeyman plumber and foreman for a major corporation. I traveled the world building american embassies race tracks resorts. Ive gone as far as plumbing custom homes forr Dan rather arlenn ness andie MacDowell. He would of been proud he made me feel like i had the potential to do anything i put my mind too. I thank him for that. Rest in peace my old friend ill see you again some day. He used to call me the show hoe. Russell weidler