Outof theBiz
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 5:54:57 PM
I added this as a reply on another post , but I think this one stands alone.

You gotta love this crap!!!

From the Chicago Sun Times today:
Neil Steinberg's column.

Danger lurks at carnivals and not just the rides.
Opening Shot
Is the state of Illinois really suggesting that carnival workers might be criminals?!? That the leathery skinned, chain smoking, heavily tattooed individual slumped on a folding chair running the Tilt-A-Whirl, might in his spare time be an unsavory character? Maybe even a sex offender?
Well, golly. I hate to tar an entire group of people - especially when they have a trade association - and reconize that there might me some carnival workers who have sobered up, found Jesus and decided to spend their lives urging my kids to toss bamboo rings at soda bottles for a $1 a throw.
But me, I naturally assume that each and every employee encountered at a carnival is an escapee from a Tom Waits song daydreaming of perversities and crimes I shudder to imagine. I would no sooner let my kids go around a fair ungaurded then I would let them fight with chain saws. The nanny state might think they are protecting us by requiring background checks for carnival workers. But, why bother? if there are any parents who do not treat a visit to the fair as a stroll through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, well, their kids are goners anyhow, and if carnies don't get them, some other peril will.

Feel free to experss your opinion directly to Mr. Steinberg:
nsteinberg@suntimes.com
johnroach100
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 6:04:19 PM
I live in GA, but I still sent him a quick mail asking if any reporters have sobered up and found Jesus, or are things still the same?
Outof theBiz
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 6:07:28 PM
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 6:12:51 PM
We had a News Caster in Cincinati that was busted for meeting teenage boys on the internet and having them over to his house. when the fuzz showed up he slit his throat. but lived.[V]
squirrel
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 6:26:19 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

We had a News Caster in Cincinati that was busted for meeting teenage boys on the internet and having them over to his house. when the fuzz showed up he slit his throat. but lived.[V]

Wish we knew more about him or the others at the Sun Times -- maybe run some background checks on their reporters, then do a whole expose on them or something...

People can always run their mouths, but when they live in a glass house, it's tons of fun to throw rocks back at 'em...
carnahan
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 6:52:57 PM
i guess, the newscaster even failed at taking his own life , some people just can't win ![;)][;)]
man is the only animal that can blush , or has the need to !
R-Key
  •  R-Key
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 7:09:03 PM
Sent him a nice lil e-mail shure I will hear something back from that one like I told him he need to report on things liek the 2500 + reg. child sex offenders found in the city of chi_town it self[:(!] really make ppl worry
I know the hustle’s hard, but we gotta enterprise, the carnival
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CARNI_LOVE_4EVER/ 
cny_chris
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 7:32:47 PM
Hmmm... looks like it's time for "Hurricane Katrina" to hit his inbox. [}:)][}:)][}:)]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
archived01
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 9:42:31 PM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

To bad he failed.
I wrote an email here it is for your pleasure. I will say it took a lot of time to write. I had to reread and reread and tone my anger down but I think I got my point across.

Dear Mr. Steinberg

I want to first start off by thanking you for giving my attorney more ammunition and another person to add to the list of people that we will be looking to seek legal action against. You will be ashamed to find out that you are in poor company including our Attorney General and Rep. Bill Black (R-Danville) but I think you have made both of them look good in comparison, congratulations!

I have worked in the Amusement Industry for the last 17 years starting out as a ride operator and finally as a manager. I find your remarks to be very offensive to say the least. Your sarcasm is boorish and does little except further a negative stereo type that results in discrimination against people based on where they work. I could just as easily make assumptions about your character based on your last name but that would be just as ignorant as your actions and I will not lower my self to your level.

I have not found god in fact I am an atheist not that it is any of your business, I don’t drink, I wonder if you can say the same, I have never used drugs, again I wonder if are as pure, and I don’t have any tattoos.

There are many hard working people that make a very decent living in this industry and take a lot of pride in what they do myself included. The ride operators that you see may not all be in as good of a financial situation but that doesn’t make them a criminal. In fact these last few summers we had some college students that were working for the carnival in order to save money for school. The others were made up of men and women who worked either full time or as a part time job to supplement their main source of income. Some were full time truck drivers from well known trucking firms that worked part time and drove the equipment from one location to the next on their days off.

The person who owned the games on the carnival for the last few years until just recently is a retired police officer. He along with his children worked in the games. His children held full time jobs as a teacher, a loan officer for a major bank and one who works for the Child Protective Services. So as you can see Mr. Steinberg your article is not only misleading the public it is an outright lie. Your assumption is based on your ignorance and unfortunately for you that ignorance may end up costing you and your paper a great deal of money.

If you and the Attorney General want get serious about keeping pedophiles away from children let’s stop with the rhetoric and start addressing the failure of the liberal court system here in Illinois and their ability or willingness to keep these offenders in jail where they belong.

Why have the law makers not drafted a zero tolerance policy for pedophiles? Can you answer that question sir? Why have they wasted tens of thousands of dollars trying to persecute carnival workers? Why do they feel it is ok to violate my rights and others simply because of where we work? I wonder if you would be as patient if the tables were reversed. I will tell you why because it is the easy way around the bigger problem and they can use the negative stereo type that ignorant people like yourself and others have of people like us. As a result it gives the public a false sense of security when in all actuality they have done nothing to get the predators off of the streets. If the Illinois government would draft such a law and the parole board didn't let these animals out we wouldn’t have to worry about who is working for a Carnival, Day Care, Fun Centers like Dave and Busters, Schools, Park Districts or any other place where children are.

That of course doesn’t grab reader’s attention like your sensationalized article and it wouldn’t give them the opportunity for all the grandstanding and chest thumping that is going on in our Attorney Generals office as of late. The only thing any of you have accomplished is to slander a lot of hard working honest people all over this country. Does the Amusement Industry have some bad apples you bet but from what I just read the Sun Times has at least one bad apple as well. I guess my next step is to write your editor and demand that you be fired from your position, consider it done.

Sincerely

Patrick Gail

Northbrook IL.
Outof theBiz
Thursday, September 8, 2005 2:54:02 AM
Randy D.
Thursday, September 8, 2005 4:25:00 AM
Patrick, very well written! I'm also from Illinois, and have noticed how much grandstanding the Attorney General and the Govenor have done. Both are young and have higher aspirations for political offices. I love the statement of the nanny state! For those that dont know, Illinois has also banned alot of so called violent video games. Very libral views in our state politics right now. Anyway, glad to see someone took the time to write a very good rebuttal to the reporter. That paper is a republican paper and loves to jump on the democrats any chance they get. However, this time, it was at the carnival industries expense. Carnies have been sterotyped for so long dont know what it will take to change public opinion. We know there are alot of professional showmen in the industry and the bad apples always get weeded out quick. Thanks again for a great rebuttal! Randy
carnyguy2
Thursday, September 8, 2005 4:26:34 AM
Who the hell do you think you are to speak of any one in the manner in which you did in your column. I cannot imagine the Sun times employing someone such as yourself. You have just single-handedly made me realize that I want to cancel both of my subscriptions to that rag. I am a well educated individual who knows how to hire an attorney. You may laugh this off if you like, but if I have my way you wont be able to laugh long. I couldn't give a rats-a -- if they make you do an apology, a recant or if they fire you, I will make sure that defamation of character, and libel are words that make you wince. I am going to use every available resource in the carnival industry to ruin you as you have our industry.

Have you ever thought that some people enjoy bringing a show into a town and feel good about what they do as entire family's have some of the best times of their life. That the lights, sounds, and smells of the carnival are as unique and American as flags, baseball, apple pie, and loud mouth journalists who wouldn't know their hiney from a hole in the ground.

Everyone is not depraved and looking to hurt everyone else unless you mean by making the public think even worse of an industry that gets nothing but bad publicity as it is. You know I am very angry right now and I truly don't know why I let people like you bother me, but sometimes I guess you should consider the source. I am curious how well do you know Lisa Madigan? Is she a relative? Because you sure act like her and her personal Gestapo. HIEL MADIGAN !!!!!!

signed
Carnyguy2
carnival employee

p.s. I have a great attorney I hope you get to meet him soon.

The preceding e-mail was sent to this ignoramous I really feel that this one needs to be followed up on. I have taken the liberty to contact a crazy irish attorney I know and sent him copies of all of this. I truly believe that this guy needs to be hit hard for his comments

Don't eat the peanuts
Carnyguy2