Originally posted by Carnie_Joe930

Quote:

quote:

RideMan
Foreman

USA
208 Posts
Posted - 08/15/2005 : 12:30:43 AM

The tubs weren't all re-done, but at least one had a patch that was done right, and a couple had new outer skins.

The Ohio inspectors feel that "dents" in a Scrambler seat cause a structural weakness.

Not Everyinspector......lol
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, August 15, 2005 7:45:18 AM
A Of A just redid almost all of the tubs on the Blue and Yellow Scrambler they have, they were working on the tubs right up untill the week before Ohio opened. They would have worked longer on it, but the ride had to leave FL to head to OH. Thanks Dave for adding some insights to these laws. I am not really surprised about the law to help keep people from crawling under rides, I am a little confused when I look at a dark ride and see that, I mean there are only a few rides where an real bad injury can happen under a ride. What bothers me more, is that I was in OH last year, and none of the inspectors bothered to say anything about any of these laws, none bothered to say that the fence that was built on the ride might not be up to code next year, or anything. There is nothing worse then pulling into a spot, with a well maintained ride and finding outat the last minute that the rules have changed on you. I wish building codes changed as often as Ride Regs. And I wish that the building codes effected older buildings the same way they do rides.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
Missin it
Monday, August 15, 2005 9:33:14 AM
Great Job Ron, I enjoyed the pics. thanks for taking the time

Mike
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
RideMan
Monday, August 15, 2005 1:01:47 PM
JimmyD: Consider this--

I'm not even in the business and I knew about the bottom-gap reg. Why? I don't need to know this stuff! But that isn't the real issue. It isn't my business, but I found out anyway because I'm a little strange that way. [:)]

I learned about that change IN OREGON! Why is it that information about new regulations in Ohio makes it into a seminar given 2,500 miles away, but nobody who actually plays this state gets to hear about it until they pull onto the lot? Is it me, or is there something fundamentally wrong with that? I found out from a tentmaker. Why is it up to him to tell operators stuff they should be getting from the Department of Agriculture?

It sounds to me like there is a communications problem in this state!

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, August 15, 2005 2:09:25 PM
That is a good point Dave. So, just let me clarify, you found out by word of mouth from a tent maker, I would be willing to guess that is how most people have found out, not through any official channel, but simply from one person to another. I am, as you know, a small operator, I don’t have the funding to spend all of my off-season, which isn’t much, driving around hitting up every states safety seminar. I would like to, believe me. It is just not in the books. From a safety standpoint, anyone who knows me will tell you that I work exceptionally hard to make sure my rides are safe for the public, so the fact that I don’t get to go to these seminars, doesn’t mean that I am against safety. I think more of what I would like to see, is when there is a major change coming, for the state to contact you. You are required in almost every state to have an itinerary, so since they know you are coming it would be nice t find out what new things have come to pass. It would be nice if they had a number you could even call and get a straight answer out of. I have not called Ohio, as it doesn’t affect me this year, as I am not playing there. It will affect me next season. When you call most states offices, they have a nice receptionist there who cant really answer any of your questions and it becomes a very large hassle to get information about the new rules and regs. I guess that is all I really meant to say about it, I just wasn’t really clear on it? Or do you think I am way of base here?

Jimmy D

James Dillman III
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, August 15, 2005 2:51:44 PM
Ohio will send you a packet of new rules for that year if you call and ask about the first of the year. It just shows that one needs to keep on top of things.
UserPostedImage
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, August 15, 2005 2:53:46 PM
I wasnt aware of that, but like I said, I dont usually play Ohio. Thanks for the update.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, August 15, 2005 5:08:28 PM
Two years ago there was a flap in NY when Inspectors said new fence rules would be enforced in 2004. Since different shows were hearing different versions from their local inpsectors The NY State Showpeoples Association aranged to have the head of the State Inspectors come to the NY fair convention and run a seminar to clear things up. It worked out so well we had him come back again this year.
In general in NY they enforce all the 42" rules for any fence on the ground. Fences which are factory parts that are installed on the ride structure, such as a Majestic Scooter or Tilt, and up off the ground, have remained acceptable for the most part, unless they have large openings.
By the way I noticed plastic cnstruction type mesh tied around the base of the Strates KMG Fireball in Hamburg,NY this week, I assume in response to last year's Kentucky incident.
cny_chris
Monday, August 15, 2005 5:28:30 PM
Quote:

quote:

Posted - 08/15/2005 : 9:08:28 PM by Bill P

By the way I noticed plastic cnstruction type mesh tied around the base of the Strates KMG Fireball in Hamburg,NY this week, I assume in response to last year's Kentucky incident.

Noticed the same thing when they were in Danbury. I think your assumption is right on... I seem to recall the same thing at last year's NYSF as well...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
sausageseller
Monday, August 15, 2005 8:52:32 PM
Sorry i missed you Ron. I did go to Michigan one day and get a trailer. Also spent a day in Zanesville getting some stuff ready.
I asked Koski if he had seen you and he told me no.
Rough OSF Fair for me this year.
RideMan
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 8:02:12 PM
Okay, the script isn't quite working the way I want (my boxes aren't changing color) but you can see the photos. 40 photos of the rides on the main midway at the 2005 Ohio State Fair. More photos, of the kiddie rides, coming Real Soon Now...

http://capital2.capital....ures/tr2005/ohfair1.html 

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:49:32 AM
Good job on the pics Dave.

I found a news article that says attendance was down 6%:

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=3731852 

Last year the fair experienced nearly perfect weather for all 12 days, not the case this year.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:35:18 AM
great pics. thanks for sharing. looking at the main midway versus the kiddie land and look at the number of patrons on the rides. is it my imagination or is kiddieland riding a lot more than the main midway. seems the crowds are larger in kiddieland. there could be some variables such as time of day, ride specials and others but kiddie rides seem to do well. also looking at the majors seems some rides had a lot more riders and lines than others. again there could be some variables there also. i know the majority on here are concerned just with the spectaculars but look at which rides were doing the best. just my observations and opinion.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:00:30 AM
I would venture to say the 6% figure is bogus. At 6% you would barely notice the difference on the midway, you could loose that much on a rainy day. With all the comments from vendors here they were down much, much more.

Todays bus. section in the local rag says that Walmart is down do to the cost of consumer fuel, should that line of thinking apply to the fair biz as well? I would say so. Not every aspect of the economy is effected yet but the problems are building.

Major cut backs in the economy can be expected next year.
UserPostedImage
RideMan
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 1:53:15 PM
britt: There is another very important variable which means you can't read anything at all into the difference in crowd between my main midway photos and my kiddieland photos. The main midway photos were taken on Wednesday evening, and to remove even more people from the midway, at the time I was taking photos, the evening's headline show was going on in the show venue. The kiddieland photos were taken on Saturday afternoon, which was a much busier day all over the fairgrounds. The main midway was busy on Saturday, too.

I should have dated the two pages; in fact, I did put dates on the index page. Also, if there are any JavaScript gurus out there who can figure out why the boxes on my thumbnails don't change....... [:D]

--Dave Althoff, Jr.