Carnie_Joe930
Sunday, August 14, 2005 4:48:17 AM
Bertha
Sunday, August 14, 2005 5:17:51 AM
Went to the Ohio State Fair yesterday the 13th. Was actually pretty nice. My sons enjoyed themselves which is what was important since it was my oldest sons birthday present. Got rained on. Left around 9:30 p.m. The ring of fire was not working at all. Also the Raider was not working. There were a couple of rides that were the same. There was 2 scooters, and 2 music express. My sons mostly did the fun houses. Nicole Nolan's food joint was there. Found out Austin is doing pretty good, and that Kevin is at home resting after surgery to remove a brain tumor, and having a blood clot. Sure wish the Nolan's my best.
Roberta
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, August 14, 2005 5:26:05 AM
No teepees on the canoes? Did you get photos of other kiddieland rides?
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, August 14, 2005 6:30:45 AM
Thanks Ron, the pics were great, it almost makes me wish I was there. On another note, I thought there were new laws on fencing? as I look at the rides in the pics, I dont notice any problems, I am only seeing that hurricane fencing at the bottom of rides, not up on the fence. Did I missunderstand the new law when we were talking about it earlier?

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
Randy D.
Sunday, August 14, 2005 7:10:25 AM
Great pics Ron! Cant believe the guy actually thought it was a rip off. People in Ohio must be spoiled at the State Fair. lol Looks like a great ride lineup and most State Fairs dont compare to that lineup. Thanks again for the pics!
WestCoastPat
Sunday, August 14, 2005 7:36:17 AM
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like a nice lineup. I have a question concerning all the trucks and trailers parked all over the lot. Is that normal back there? Is there nowhere to stage all the transports except on the lot behind the rides? I just like the look better when it is not covered by all kinds of different trucks. It is not as bad when all the trucks are painted nice and the same (like Funtastic) and parked in a row. Just a thought. WestCoastPat
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
PKIDelirium
Sunday, August 14, 2005 7:56:56 AM
It's normal for OHSF, it looks pretty bad in my opinion, hvaing all that in the middle of the Midway.

They should get rid of the Main Midway rea for rides and make it the trailer parking area, and have the whole midway where the Kidway is now. There's room through there, just rearrange it better.

And do something about that ghost-town South end of the grounds...
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, August 14, 2005 3:50:41 PM
I've added a pic of the Orbiter to the album. The Orbiter is owned by a friend of mine. He bought the ride last winter and still has some cosmetic work to do, but the ride has to be making money to cover the payments and pay for the improvements. The tubs have all been painted, the motor rebuilt, and electrical work has been done so far. Knowing what he has done to it so far and the amount of time invested, I don't think it looks too bad. Note in the pic that the factory fence doesn't meet the Ohio Fence Code. For now, the fix is to put fence around the entire ride.

Sue, I've got pics of all the kiddies. If there is anything in particular you'd like to see, let me know and I'll put it up for you. No Tee Pees on the Canoes.

JimmyD, you are right about the fence. I have seen alot of inconsistancies with the fence here in Ohio. Most of the rides at the State Fair had netting around the bottom. Most of it not visable in the pics and outside of fulfilling a requirement, really serving no purpose in my opinion.

Pat, keep in mind that the trucks that you see behind the rides were pics taken from the Ginat Wheel. You really can't see it from the midway unless you are high in the air.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics.
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, August 14, 2005 5:47:59 PM
I didn't think the Orbitor looked to bad at all. It was obvious the ride is a work in progress as the seats looked great while some parts appeared to be awaiting paint. Isn't the ride going south this year? When is your "friend" going to have the time to finish it?

The piece that stuck out to me was the Construction Zone. Two trucks were roped off (I assume red tagged). Instead of rope they used this .

UserPostedImage

JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, August 14, 2005 5:49:04 PM
Thanks for the pics again, and thanks for answering me, KY was like that one year about fence, for what ever reason they felt like busting balls and the following year were back to normal, maybe that is similar here.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, August 14, 2005 6:00:20 PM
The Orbiter is scheduled to go south for a few dates in the Fall. I am guessing that it will go back in the shop this winter. It won't be needed until Memorial Day next year.

Now that the fair is over, I'm curious to see what the final attendance was.
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, August 14, 2005 6:16:02 PM
I dont know about everyone else, but I think that Orbitor looks pretty good in those pics. I see it is an older one, but it looks good, seems funny with that fence all around it though, but it looks better than the hurricane fencing.

JimmY
James Dillman III
choosh104
Sunday, August 14, 2005 6:42:24 PM
RideMan
Sunday, August 14, 2005 8:30:43 PM
About the fences...

There are two things going on. First of all, 2005 is apparently the 'drop dead' year for ride fences in Ohio to meet the UBC/ASTM requirement of 42"/4" for ride fences and gates. So there is a lot of that stuff going on this year.

Second, I learned back in February (at a seminar aimed at show operators in the Pacific Northwest who probably never operate anywhere near Ohio) that there is a new requirement this year that is specific to Ohio that the space beneath the ride needs to be covered with something down to some arbitrary distance to make sure that nobody can crawl under the ride. I learned that from a representative of an Iowa-based tent company [:D], and that was the first I had heard of it. I presume it is a response to that incident that happened last year at the Kentucky state fair where some kid got under a Fireball and got hurt when the platform dropped to start the ride. Seems odd that this would be a new rule in Ohio and not in Kentucky, under the circumstances...!

Oh, something else I noticed...somebody spent the winter doing a lot of drilling. I noticed that the Scrambler had some new skins on it this year. The tubs weren't all re-done, but at least one had a patch that was done right, and a couple had new outer skins. I just thought I would mention that one, since it's the kind of thing that is real easy to overlook.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Carnie_Joe930
Sunday, August 14, 2005 11:41:20 PM
Quote:

quote:

RideMan
Foreman

USA
208 Posts
Posted - 08/15/2005 : 12:30:43 AM

The tubs weren't all re-done, but at least one had a patch that was done right, and a couple had new outer skins.

The Ohio inspectors feel that "dents" in a Scrambler seat cause a structural weakness.