Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, August 12, 2005 9:32:53 AM
Checking in from the SBC Yahoo booth at the OSF.

It is hotter than "H" here today.
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, August 12, 2005 10:30:18 AM
Ron, will you be posting pics? [8D]
PKIDelirium
Friday, August 12, 2005 12:39:38 PM
Damnit... I forgot to find the internet booth again on my visit. Where is it?
Coasterville
Friday, August 12, 2005 12:47:58 PM
It was at the far north end of the fairgrounds, next to the restroom building by the Cardinal gate.
PKIDelirium
Friday, August 12, 2005 1:16:24 PM
Geez how did I miss that... I went in that entrance... [:0]
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Friday, August 12, 2005 1:30:27 PM
they still got those charmin bathrooms there??
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
PKIDelirium
Friday, August 12, 2005 4:07:35 PM
Nope, it did not become a Charmin bathroom this year for the first time since 2000. it was almost as bad as the Porta-Kleen trailer [xx(]
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
Friday, August 12, 2005 10:02:11 PM
Spent one very hot day in Columbus Friday. Everything is on asphalt and it was nasty.

A of A's Spin Out looks great. Jeff Pugh did a good job on the refurb, you'd think the ride was new. The Spin Out, Belle City's Rock & Roll, and Carnie Joe's Rave Up (Trabant) looked the best in my opinion.

Got to meet Carnie Joe, he's a cool guy and his equipment is nice. It's always good to put a face with a name when you can. Didn't get a chance to visit sausageseller, checked his trailer a couple times but didn't see him.

My Wife had a $20 ground score which I quickly got my hands on by dinging her $10 for the ride to the fair, then another $10 ding for the ride home. [8D]

We took a ride on the Giant Wheel. We had to share the tub with a guy and his 2 kids. I overheard the guy saying; "I don't see the Water Ride here" and after looking at the midway from the top of the wheel; "There's nothing here, what a ripoff". 60+ rides including 2 coasters and this guy says there is nothing here, $18 for an All Day Armband and he says it's a ripoff. To top it all off, while the wheel was stopped near the top, he had his kid stand up and take a picture.

Ryan will be happy to know that there was a Venture Canoe Ride on the State Fair Midway.

I think the Fair would be better if it weren't so big. Everything is very spread out. Also, a smaller midway would probably be more of what the fair calls for. Some of the people I talked to said that business was slow and attendance was down. I'm sure the hot weather and high gas prices have something to do with that.

I'll try and post some pics next week.
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, August 13, 2005 1:09:33 AM
I am not sure how true it is, but in one article I read it said there were 85 rides there. I am sure that Chris could dig it up for us, it was an article posted on here that was talking about ride safety. It pointed to an article from Ohio on the ride inspections there. I have no idea of that is the right number of rides, since I am not there, but maybe someone can give a full ride list and count.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
cny_chris
Saturday, August 13, 2005 5:30:06 AM
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.co...topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10926 

That's the article that mentions a ride count of 85...[:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, August 13, 2005 6:03:44 AM
I talked to one of the State guys working the fair yesterday and he said theres around 62 pieces there. And the place has been a ghost town. Attendence was way off there and every other fair he been to.He did say the Bobby McKnight was gonna buy the 3 kidie rides from Pugh ( helicopter,Pumpkin wheel, and Ocean Trip) but will probley need the money for rent and gas to get out of town..
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, August 13, 2005 11:36:58 AM
Thanks Chris for finding that post for me.
As for Ohio, well for Big A I am sure they still did well enough, but that is one Fair that if I never went back to, it wouldnt bother in even a little bit. I am sure that used to be an amazing fair years ago,but for a state fair it is very lacking in my humble opinion. Anyone take any pics yet?

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
RideMan
Saturday, August 13, 2005 5:28:50 PM
I think I have pictures of just about every ride...let me see about throwing together a gallery...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
Saturday, August 13, 2005 11:33:59 PM
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, August 14, 2005 4:29:22 AM
Excellent pics! Thanks Ron. [8D] Oh yeah, by the looks of it there ain't nothin there. LOL.