rdcolles
  •  rdcolles
  • 57.6% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
TopSpinJay
Friday, July 8, 2005 7:25:43 AM
nothing seems to get better ...its been one after another in recent years, mabie we seriously need to look at things in the big picture
You'll miss us when were gone....
orphaned
Friday, July 8, 2005 8:39:37 AM
And what exactly is the "big picture"?
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, July 8, 2005 12:32:22 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by SilverCometJay

nothing seems to get better ...its been one after another in recent years, mabie we seriously need to look at things in the big picture

We?

Sixcats have nine lives
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, July 8, 2005 12:36:17 PM
ha ha ha Is the glass half full or half empty?
Missin it
Friday, July 8, 2005 12:40:32 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by SilverCometJay

?????????????????????????????
Besides the dangling participles, and the lack of punctuation in this post I am still searching for the true meaning as it was intended by the Author.

It's a joke SCJay, relax

"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
daniel
  •  daniel
  • 73.82% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, July 8, 2005 1:27:49 PM
wait is the actual story real or fake?
SaraAB
Friday, July 8, 2005 2:26:59 PM
Regardless of whether or not this is fake i think if we just started to focus more on prevention instead of what is wrong then we could get somewhere. I could mention numerous things that carnivals, schools and parents could do to help keep people safer on rides, and im sure everyone here could create their own ways they think would help the public to stay safer on rides.

First of all the school system should have some form of rider safety program and it needs to start with pre-k, there is no excuse for this they have fire safety and other prevention programs and its been proven that a lot of kids know how to dial 911 for an emergency at a very young age, so if you started early you could get it into at least some of their heads. Even if not all the kids listen it would reach some of them which is a start, i mean if someone came into my classroom to talk about amusement rides when i was a kid i would have been really happy.

Also newspapers and magazines NEED to start posting prevention articles with safety tips for parents since most dont know as much about the midway as we do, instead of posting articles about the dramatics of an accident such as 50 people were stuck upside down on ride x for 2 hours. This also goes for the news stations and the media in general. Also they should have television ads for the safety of rides because they have ads for drug prevention and fire safety and boating safety and alcohol use so why not have television ads for amusement ride safety?

Parks and carnivals should also hand out flyers with safety tips and rules to all the people that purchase wristbands and tickets especially the parents who purchase wristbands for their kids. Not everyone is going to read it but some parents will read it and follow the rules.

Midways should have a gated enterance and exit and no kids under 16 or whatever age you want should be allowed on the midway unless they have a parent or guardian with them, face it the teenagers dont spend that much money on the midway especially the kids under 16 all they do is walk around and loiter and doing this would make it a lot more plesant for everyone, of course this rule is only my opinion and yours may vary.

If someone doesnt post messages about this stuff then it will never get out to the public on how to make things better and safer at carnivals.

Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, July 8, 2005 3:45:12 PM
At this week's Big Butler Fair IN Pennsylvania Powers has a tent set up next to the Office compound with a TV where they run the OBAB Video "Safe Fun at the Carnival".
SaraAB
Friday, July 8, 2005 4:59:34 PM
Thats a really good idea as well!
TopSpinJay
Friday, July 8, 2005 6:58:55 PM
umm yea "we" as in the whole industry ....think about the bad bad bad what have you seen good lately?

and BTW i was longly involved for many years in the amusement industry if your questioning my standing in my opinion.
You'll miss us when were gone....
rdcolles
  •  rdcolles
  • 57.6% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
rusty
  •  rusty
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help
Saturday, July 9, 2005 10:55:06 PM
This IS a problem WE all face, accidents, public behaviors, public opinions and attitudes; they affect good shows as well as bad. Any accident is going to be front page and 6 o’clock news. If it bleeds, it leads. But then again (I wish I knew which thread) there were two “good” news stories posted on the board lately. Did someone take a few extra minutes with a reporter and give him a story to bring back besides the “a ride similar to this one killed a child in xxxx”? Do most shows you can think of have safety programs, akin to other industries? Was this OBVIOUS to the last reporter that was on your lot?
How much green help does your show use, in other industries do you think it common that an employee has 15 minutes training and is turned loose to drive a bus or bulldozer? (OK, small bus or bulldozer) Is checking the brakes and steering on that bus something the mechanic does if he has a chance, when he gets back from doing laundry.
Lets face it WE can protect OURSELVES by doing (or not doing) the things above, but when someone else doesn’t, it is WE that takes the shot in the paper or on the news. It’s the shot in the news that causes increased regulation and costs. I have already heard some with the Windshear talk about “They should have been watching their ride closer”. This is a known case of more than one person going out of their way to sneak around the safety precautions that were in place and working. This is also a show I know is good and cares about its rides and safety.
The standards WE, are and will be held to are only getting stricter, I assume most people saw the California Supreme Court decision, “reasonable” isn’t good enough WE should take the “utmost” care. I have to agree, but this is nothing more than a gift to trial attorneys.
All of this is happening at the same time fuel and other costs are making it harder to do the right thing. Something has got to give; shows need to work together or the future is not bright. It’s a future WE share.
daniel
  •  daniel
  • 73.82% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, July 10, 2005 8:39:35 AM
http://www.rideaccidents.com/  2 down from the news im sorry when i saw the video it sounded fake they messed up some areas and i would not think that it would leave markings like that going off to the back of the ride.Not to the side.Im sorry if i well i dont know the owrd. Any ways this is sad and yes they need more and better edication but you know the schools wont do it.

Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, July 10, 2005 9:20:13 AM
A sheriiffs dep. from a La. slammer said: "Failure to train is training for failure". This in no way applies to the incident reported here.
UserPostedImage