TopSpinJay
Thursday, June 23, 2005 9:00:31 PM
Check this out i think this is the start of new technology to come in the comming years...this programmable system can display video and graphics as well as customized programed patterns

this system installed on the Verkoma Giant Wheel at Morey's has 200,000 LED's - and the number of channels operating the lights - 4,600. it replaced a LightLab 25,000 bulb turbolight system. it's said that this system will save on the rides annual lighting cost by 90% over the old turbolights.

the final result is being finnished off and the videos taken were from may... check em out it's realy a cool thing ...download at: http://www.angelfire.com/nj/wwbysea/MARINERS/GW.html

You'll miss us when were gone....
Flying Coaster
Friday, June 24, 2005 2:18:56 AM
That is really slick.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
rdcolles
  •  rdcolles
  • 57.6% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, June 24, 2005 2:28:17 AM
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, June 24, 2005 4:18:27 AM
tiltawhirl
Friday, June 24, 2005 5:45:18 AM

Now THAT is absolutely incredible!

The new LED's have a brightness level that was hard to achieve even a few years ago.

Although there is something to be said about the incessant chattering of relays in a Turbolight system[;)]

tilt
Kamikaze
Friday, June 24, 2005 6:37:37 AM
The other good thing about LED's is that you don't have to replace the bulbs for a long time. Energy cost will be reduced drastically. I hope to see more rides go towards LED lighting in the future.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, June 24, 2005 6:38:37 AM
Fantastic. My controller had only 4 channels but also had an opto isolater giving me 4 channels for neutral. I can't believe it has 4600 channels, even if divided by 2. I would like to see the wiring diagram.

All the sign building mags are showcasing led lighting systems in a big way.
UserPostedImage
Flying Coaster
Friday, June 24, 2005 11:41:53 AM
It was only a matter of time, as the automotive industry is using them for taillights, markers, etc. on trucks, municipalities putting them into traffic signals, they are appearing at the top of radio transmission towers now too. Just a matter of perfecting the technology. The possibilities for ride lighting are pretty endless. Bub counts will be increasingly difficult to attain though.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Steve F.
Friday, June 24, 2005 12:36:03 PM
OMFG! WORD!

Big up the Morey's Pier crew! I'm dead impressed! This is going to kick A! *drool*[:X]

drooling asside, this makes sense. Especially now as LED technology is really getting good. Moving light MFGs have started to make wash lights that just use LEDs for color mixing. Theres all sorts of drama now about a company called Color Kenetics invlolving LED color mixing patents.
Skywheelrider
Friday, June 24, 2005 7:43:42 PM
Wow, absolutely fantastic looking. Hard to describe in words how great it really looks.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Boils The Clown
Friday, June 24, 2005 9:42:52 PM
Great Eye Candy ,Although the bub count is 95%.[;)]Top outer 2 on wheel's edge & a couple out on the spokes of the wheel toward the middle/center. It still looks SHARP as a MOFO !!!!
Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
TopSpinJay
Saturday, June 25, 2005 5:41:54 AM
well there still probly worken on those sections boils ...you have to remember not all things work peacefully once on site or they may have not hooked em up yet
You'll miss us when were gone....
Randy D.
Sunday, June 26, 2005 7:37:29 AM
I havent been up close to the Big wheel on Navy pier in Chicago in awhile. Although, that wheel has a very similar light package. They might be using the new technology on that wheel also. Love the look of the new lighting!!!!
BSA Mike
Sunday, June 26, 2005 8:08:13 AM
wonder what a light package like that costs...
choosh104
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 1:03:17 PM
verey nice love to look at the ligth on wheels i can look all nigth long