Bossman
  •  Bossman
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Thursday, June 23, 2005 4:38:24 PM
Interesting article by the late Chris Audibert, carnival historian and author having written many great remembrances.. One such article was included in the Midway Journal, Vol#1, No#1..Mr. Audibert wrote:

"My father wasn't really a 'Carny' although he had a merry-go-round and a chairplane and a grease joint with genuine lemonade for juice..We never made the fair circuit, playing only streets and vacant lots in northern New Hampshire and Vermont..

The outfit didn't even have a name, just the word CARNIVAL, painted on our three trucks.. Those trucks must have come over on the next boat after the Mayflower.. They were ancient..I think they were old 'Reo Speed Wagons'..Pop was pretty handy as a mechanic and he kept the trucks and rides running"..

The acticle continued;

I think the article was great and really showed the way things were in the 1930's.. With 600+ carnivals operating, are there any shows like this left?.. A true Mom and Pop operation..
carnahan
Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:37:11 PM
i think reo stood for ranson e. olds , founder of oldsmoble.but i am probly wrong !![:(]
man is the only animal that can blush , or has the need to !
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, June 24, 2005 9:53:14 PM
Not wrong at all. [:)]
Ransom Eli Olds founded the REO Motor Car Company in 1904 after leaving the Olds Motor Works Company (Oldsmobile) which he had also founded. When he left Oldsmobile, he was precluded from using his name for another auto company, so he chose to use his initials.

UserPostedImage