Flying Coaster
Monday, June 6, 2005 11:00:38 PM
For those of you that have done strip down, start from the bare bones type refurbishments of older rides, after going to all the trouble & expense of starting new, what type of paint do you apply for the most durable, long lasting glossy finish? Obviously you wouldn't go to all that work & squirt krylon on it, so what's the product of your choice?
We have a railroad museum here, when we refurb old diesels, (& for that matter, a steamer currently) they get nothing but Imron paint. We have a Wabash F-7 that was repainted to it's origional scheme in 1989 or 90, & fifteen years later, it's still as shiny as when it was shot. Yes, it was VERY expensive, but very worthwhile, the stuff is practically bulletproof.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
BSA Mike
Monday, June 6, 2005 11:04:05 PM
the best paint IMO and a few other people is Montana Paints...

U.S. paints is decent but its 3 parts, and thats a pain in the balls...

montana is 2 parts, paint and activator....i just wish montana would make a bright***lime green...
bladerunner
Monday, June 6, 2005 11:10:44 PM
since were on the subject of paint, is "ronan" good paint for mural work? also what type of brushes does bill brOwning use when he paints scenery?[8D]
BSA Mike
Monday, June 6, 2005 11:11:43 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by bladerunner

since were on the subject of paint, is "ronan" good paint for mural work? also what type of brushes does bill brOwning use when he paints scenery?[8D]

Hair brushes...
Flying Coaster
Monday, June 6, 2005 11:20:41 PM
Ronan bulletin enamel is very good paint. We use it in the sign shop where I work, you get very good coverage with one coat, hides what's underneath very well. I've actually thinned & sprayed it with LAQUER thinner, sprays very nicely, & with laquer thinner, flashes off almost immediately.
Carnevil
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 12:12:36 AM
I've used PPG lately on a few projects so far so good but cant give any kind of long term report.
Its not impossible it just costs more.
BSA Mike
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 1:20:01 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Carnevil

I've used PPG lately on a few projects so far so good but cant give any kind of long term report.

we have some PPG, my uncle has been using it for awhile..he still says that Montana is the best

i recall bobby meyers saying he only uses montana too, and we all know how good his stuff comes out
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 2:19:58 AM
FC, you are using the best for the kind of work you are doing. Nothing beats Imron. I have used in on our fleet and on fiberglass panels but in general it is too costly for ride refiinishing.
UserPostedImage
Flying Coaster
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 6:09:38 AM
Pinetar,
That's what I was curious about. At the sign shop, we use Matthews acrylic polyurethane on our aluminum sign cabinets, but I'm not convinced it's u.v. resistance is all that great for it's cost, or if it's just our previous painter being stingey with the material coverage when some of the 6-7 year old cabinets come back in, they are pretty chalky.[?] Thanks for the input, fellers! [^]
bladerunner
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 10:01:37 AM
when "ronan" dries does it dry leaving a flat surface(no brush strokes) i have seen some paints that dry and it almost looks airbrushed[:)]
bladerunner
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 10:03:09 AM
...any specific brand?
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BSA Mike

Quote:

quote:

Hair brushes...

Flying Coaster
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 10:19:57 AM
Quote:

quote:

when "ronan" dries does it dry leaving a flat surface(no brush strokes) i have seen some paints that dry and it almost looks airbrushed[:)]

The bulletin enamel is very thick paint. Some of our old school hand lettering guys have commented that you can add a little linseed oil, helps the brushstroke problem a lot. The biggest factor is brush quality & technique.
Bulletin enamel gets used here primarily for backgrounds, i.e. large areas of one color. "One Shot" brand has better texture for lettering applications. Hope this helps.
BSA Mike
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 10:36:56 AM
Quote:

quote:

...any specific brand?
Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

Hair brushes...

lol i was joking...
sausageseller
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 5:30:35 PM
Here is an email I recived from Montana if anyone is intrested.
I emailed them asking if they had a dealer near Indy:

Good morning Don,
Our closest distributor to that area is located in Spencer, IN. There name is Sweet Owen Sales, phone # 877-647-3973. Please give them a call & see if they deliver to that area. If you have any problems, or that is too far, please get back to me & we can check into shipping the products from our plant.
Thank you for your interest in Montana Products.
Ron Snow

Technical Service/Customer Development

Montana Products Inc.

1-800-328-4892 X247

rsnow@montanabigsky.com
bladerunner
Tuesday, June 7, 2005 5:37:34 PM
[:D]
Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

...any specific brand?
Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

Hair brushes...

lol i was joking...

[:D]